Author Topic: New iPhone 3G  (Read 17543 times)

Offline sternlight

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
New iPhone 3G
« on: June 11, 2008, 01:52:56 AM »
If you already have an iPhone on AT&T, check your account on their web site. Mine says i will be eligible for an upgrade next month, and the date is about a year after I first bought the previous model. No word yet about upgrade price. There is, however, a statement elsewhere that if you already have a contract you can get the new model at the announced price with your contract running two years from the start, not the end of the old contract.

So clearly AT&T is planning to offer something to existing iPhone customers who want to upgrade. I'm sure they'll figure out the full details before the July 11 rollout.

As to the many discussions about "should I upgrade?", the big improvements are iPhone software 2.0 and Apple's upgraded dot mac aka "me.com", and both will work fine on existing iPhones after July 11. If 3G and GPS are worth the extra cost of both upgrading and paying an additional $10 a month for 3G speeds, by all means upgrade; if not, don't, but don't whine about it; rocks are hard, water is wet, and the 3G iPhone and AT&T are what they are

Offline Scrable

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
Re: New iPhone 3G
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 02:21:14 PM »
If you already have an iPhone on AT&T, check your account on their web site. Mine says i will be eligible for an upgrade next month, and the date is about a year after I first bought the previous model. No word yet about upgrade price. There is, however, a statement elsewhere that if you already have a contract you can get the new model at the announced price with your contract running two years from the start, not the end of the old contract.

So clearly AT&T is planning to offer something to existing iPhone customers who want to upgrade. I'm sure they'll figure out the full details before the July 11 rollout.

As to the many discussions about "should I upgrade?", the big improvements are iPhone software 2.0 and Apple's upgraded dot mac aka "me.com", and both will work fine on existing iPhones after July 11. If 3G and GPS are worth the extra cost of both upgrading and paying an additional $10 a month for 3G speeds, by all means upgrade; if not, don't, but don't whine about it; rocks are hard, water is wet, and the 3G iPhone and AT&T are what they are
I dont think ATT will give it to you for any cheaper then $199 for the 8gb, tho the mane part is you wont need to extend the contract i think, now for $199 it's so worth the upgrade, and if you use .mac for sure it's worth it push e-mail that's great, plus GPS, but the extra $10 a month it's all up2u.
Zalman.

Offline Zoli

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 02:34:29 PM »
What I've heard is that you won't get it any cheaper (mostly because AT&T is subsidizing it in the first place) but you will be able to keep your current data and voice plan (they're increasing the data to $30 a month with no text messages from $20 with 200 text messages).
-----------
-Zoli

Offline yid

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 10:20:52 PM »
apple stores currently sell the current 8gb iphone model for $400 dollars without a contract. anyone know if apple will sell the new iphone without a contract and at what price?

Offline Smirk

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 11:08:02 PM »
i am thinking of getting the new 3g iphone, i have the blackberry curve now, and i type on it alot, anyone here have the iphone and email alot? is it hard to type?

Offline Scrable

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2008, 11:32:31 PM »
i am thinking of getting the new 3g iphone, i have the blackberry curve now, and i type on it alot, anyone here have the iphone and email alot? is it hard to type?
Well a real keyboard is always better, but i always use my Ipod touch for e-mail long emails and after about 2 weeks it was great.
Zalman.

Offline Smirk

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2008, 02:19:51 AM »
Well a real keyboard is always better, but i always use my Ipod touch for e-mail long emails and after about 2 weeks it was great.
when i was in the store and tried it out i kept hitting the wrong letters by mistake, im told its pretty intelligent and will adjust, is this true?

Offline Eli

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Platinum, Priority Club Platinum, Fairmont Premier, Avis First, Star Alliance Gold, bmi Gold and A"A Lifetime Gold
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2008, 04:15:59 PM »

I don't own the iPhone but I've spoken to many people who have, and the ones that switched over from BB to iPhone were very unhappy with the typing situation.
-Eli

Offline Scrable

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2008, 06:02:44 PM »
I don't own the iPhone but I've spoken to many people who have, and the ones that switched over from BB to iPhone were very unhappy with the typing situation.
Duh! of curse thy wont be happy cause thy always had a keyboard and thy lost it. its like i lost my centro now im stuck using some old crappy phone, tho the iPhone is not crappy.  yes it dose have it's dictionary which will corect your spelling in most cases, tho after using it for a while it will add some words that you use allot and make it easier to type.
Zalman.

Offline nfsnyc

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2008, 02:20:27 AM »
apple stores currently sell the current 8gb iphone model for $400 dollars without a contract. anyone know if apple will sell the new iphone without a contract and at what price?

I heard a rumor they will sell it for $299 w/o contract, but its from an unverifiable source.
**In an effort to contribute to this site, id like to invite anyone with any Cell Phone Unlocking (-GSM-) related questions to message me.*(Not an expert but have my share of knowledge on the subject.)**

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2008, 09:50:21 AM »
I heard a rumor they will sell it for $299 w/o contract, but its from an unverifiable source.
I highly doubt that.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline E

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2008, 10:06:16 AM »
yes it is hard to type if you plan on writing long emails its not a good choice it does get easier after using it allot but it doesnt compare to a real keyboard

Offline Eli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Platinum, Priority Club Platinum, Fairmont Premier, Avis First, Star Alliance Gold, bmi Gold and A"A Lifetime Gold
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2008, 10:56:26 AM »
C'mon guys, Google Is Your Friend (GIYF). A simple search brings up this page showing the release date and prices for the iPhone 3g

It hits stores in the US and over 70 other countries on July 11th. Here it will costs $199 for the 8GB version, and $299 for the 16GB one (in black and white).
-Eli

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2008, 12:05:59 PM »
C'mon guys, Google Is Your Friend (GIYF). A simple search brings up this page showing the release date and prices for the iPhone 3g

Yes, but that's with a 2 year contract.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Scrable

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2008, 02:21:32 PM »
Apple is not really charging $199 ATT is charging that price, Apple is making over $500 on a phone as far as it says online at least. In this game Apple is going to play like its competitors and just get market share and let ATT pat the high price. In fact look at the $199 price tag, do you realize that you will be paying an extra $10 a month times that by 24 months a whopping $240 which now has yoru phone at $439. As far as thy are trying thy are not making a price without a contract, there will be a price to extend your contract which can be $299 but dont forget the extra $10 a month. In most cases if you want to try to unlock it you will need to buy it and then pay a cancellation fee, or maybe cancle with in 30 days and not send back the phone just dont get your money back i guess.
Zalman.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2008, 02:26:37 PM »
Insiders have said that ATT pays Apple $18/month per iphone user.

There's good reason why Apple doesn't sell an unlocked iphone!

Offline Smirk

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2008, 01:32:13 PM »
7 Problems with the new iphone
http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/96283

Offline Scrable

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2008, 01:40:43 PM »
Insiders have said that ATT pays Apple $18/month per iphone user.

There's good reason why Apple doesn't sell an unlocked iphone!
Dan with the 1st gen iPhone ATT paid Apple every month for each iPhone owner that activated it, and it was more then $18 a month, but those days ATT did not pay Apple that price for the iPhone, but now ATT pays Apple more up front and dose not give a commission, the way it is with iPhone 3G thy get $100 for each activation, im not sure if thats every activation or just the ones from the Apple stores.
Zalman.

Offline Zoli

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2008, 03:02:38 PM »
You can look at it like this:

$199    for iPhone 3G
$ 36    to activate
$ 80    approximate, one month service plus taxes
$170    Early Termination Fee
That adds up to about $485 + tax for a 8 GB ($585 + tax for 16 GB)

This seems about right for the unsubsidized (contract free) price:
$499 for the 8GB
$599 for the 16GB
-----------
-Zoli

Offline Smirk

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2008, 09:28:25 PM »
You can look at it like this:

$199    for iPhone 3G
$ 36    to activate
$ 80    approximate, one month service plus taxes
$170    Early Termination Fee
That adds up to about $485 + tax for a 8 GB ($585 + tax for 16 GB)

This seems about right for the unsubsidized (contract free) price:
$499 for the 8GB
$599 for the 16GB
plus the extra $10 a month for the data plan