Author Topic: New iPhone 3G  (Read 17551 times)

Offline E

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: New iPhone 3G
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2008, 11:23:36 PM »
7 Problems with the new iphone
http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/96283
all these "problems" are things apple is waiting to put on so they could sell more later

Offline Scrable

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2008, 12:51:42 AM »
You can look at it like this:

$199    for iPhone 3G
$ 36    to activate
$ 80    approximate, one month service plus taxes
$170    Early Termination Fee
That adds up to about $485 + tax for a 8 GB ($585 + tax for 16 GB)

This seems about right for the unsubsidized (contract free) price:
$499 for the 8GB
$599 for the 16GB
Im not sure about the fact that thy will sell it without a contract, unless your talking about an upgrade from the first iPhone if your not done 2 years (Well duh!) i dont think that will be the price.

1st if you upgrade ty will make you get the extra $10 for 3G speed anyway.
2nd if it cost $199 now and you sign up and pay the fee to cancel it will cost about $400, so im thinking for current iPhone owners the price will run about $299 to $399 for the 8GB +$100 for 16GB model, but nothing is for sure until Apple/ATT will tell us.
Zalman.

Offline nfsnyc

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2008, 02:32:24 AM »
This might be a dumb question, but dont you have to return the phone if you cancel the contract??? I remember with sprint I had a contract and then canceled within 30 days, but had to return everything, is this not the case??? (Had it with AT&T too, back when it was AT&T analog or whatever it was called lol).
**In an effort to contribute to this site, id like to invite anyone with any Cell Phone Unlocking (-GSM-) related questions to message me.*(Not an expert but have my share of knowledge on the subject.)**

Offline Zoli

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2008, 11:33:46 AM »
AT&T Just posted all the details:

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/specials/iphone-info.jsp

If you are an AT&T customer who does not qualify for the upgrade pricing, you can get the 8 GB iPhone 3G for $399.99 and the 16 GB iPhone 3G for $499.99 -- or a $200 premium. A two-year contract must still be signed.

AT&T has also announced that the iPhone 3G will be available at 8 a.m. on Friday, July 11, 2008 at AT&T retail stores.

Even more exciting -- for the contract-averse among us -- AT&T states:

"Coming soon, AT&T will offer a no-commitment option of $599 for 8GB and $699 for 16GB."
-----------
-Zoli

Offline Scrable

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2008, 12:29:21 PM »
This might be a dumb question, but dont you have to return the phone if you cancel the contract??? I remember with sprint I had a contract and then canceled within 30 days, but had to return everything, is this not the case??? (Had it with AT&T too, back when it was AT&T analog or whatever it was called lol).
Well just dont send it and get charged for it, or just cancel on the 31st day
Zalman.

Offline nfsnyc

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2008, 12:47:14 PM »
Well just dont send it and get charged for it, or just cancel on the 31st day

Lol DUH! I wrote that at 2am, feel stupid now. You return the phone only if you cancel without any fee's or restrictions, wow I was spaced out..
**In an effort to contribute to this site, id like to invite anyone with any Cell Phone Unlocking (-GSM-) related questions to message me.*(Not an expert but have my share of knowledge on the subject.)**

Offline Smirk

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2008, 01:29:45 PM »
How to be ready to switch to the the iphone

Offline Smirk

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2008, 06:56:31 PM »
ATT said today you can buy the 3g iphone with no contract for $599 & $699

Offline Eli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Platinum, Priority Club Platinum, Fairmont Premier, Avis First, Star Alliance Gold, bmi Gold and A"A Lifetime Gold
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2008, 09:02:45 PM »
all these "problems" are things apple is waiting to put on so they could sell more later

People said that last time. This is the new version.
-Eli

Offline Mordy

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2008, 12:07:31 PM »
Eli, the truth is, whether this was pre-meditated or not, people who bought iPhones at its release two years ago are again going gaga over a new one because it has 3G.

If they had released the original one with 3G (like every other phone that costs more than $50), they wouldn't have this surge for the second generation.

Now, whether this was done on purpose to boost sales later, or if it was simply an oversight on Apples part to release a phone (with specs a generation old), is something only Apple knows for sure.

The same could be said for all these other missing features. Oh, you want an iphone that also has a flash and video recorder? Gosh, well ok, here's a NEW iphone, spend your money again!

Its clever marketing, I'll give them that. But its a game people like me don't have time to play and that's part of the reason I'm not at all interested in this phone.
Even when the original iPhone came out, I said I'd rather get a "free with contract" phone that has video recording, 3G, Stereo Bluetooth (a2dp) support, MMS and spare batteries for those long trips.
At least the iPhone has 3G now. Still doesn't make me want one.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 12:13:36 PM by Mordy »
Mobile Enthusiast Extraordinaire

Visit one of the Tech Blogs I write: http://www.techcitement.com

Offline Smirk

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2008, 12:42:03 PM »
There are rumors out there that in a year from now apple will make a new iphone with a sliding hardware keyboard under the touch screen.

Offline Mordy

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2008, 02:17:43 PM »
Will they also claim that they invented that?

Sliding keyboard on a phone! An Apple Innovation!!!

Offline Eli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Platinum, Priority Club Platinum, Fairmont Premier, Avis First, Star Alliance Gold, bmi Gold and A"A Lifetime Gold
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2008, 06:29:42 PM »
Its clever marketing, I'll give them that. But its a game people like me don't have time to play and that's part of the reason I'm not at all interested in this phone.

Kinda like the BB Curve. The t-mobile version has Wi-Fi, the Cingular version has GPS, and only the Bold will have both built in. So you can have your cake, and locate it too!
-Eli

Offline Mordy

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2008, 09:43:18 PM »
Exactly. Marketing ruins the consumer market, that's why I'm a big advocate of open source hardware as well as software- let the users build and design their device!

Sadly, this concept was attempted, the openMoko handset. Running an embedded linux system on modular hardware, the concept never took off without a proper carrier to back it. There are tons of glowing reviews about it, but sadly without the community support, open source is useless.

I'd love to see Google's Android platform do something like that though, since Google has the instant fanbase to push something open into being successful.

Offline E

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2008, 10:57:04 PM »
Exactly. Marketing ruins the consumer market, that's why I'm a big advocate of open source hardware as well as software- let the users build and design their device!

Sadly, this concept was attempted, the openMoko handset. Running an embedded linux system on modular hardware, the concept never took off without a proper carrier to back it. There are tons of glowing reviews about it, but sadly without the community support, open source is useless.

I'd love to see Google's Android platform do something like that though, since Google has the instant fanbase to push something open into being successful.
the openmoko looks like its coming out pretty soon july 4! http://www.engadget.com/2008/07/02/openmoko-neo-freerunner-available-for-order-july-4-shipping-jul/

Offline Smirk

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2008, 12:37:41 AM »
hahaha marketing not only doesnt ruin the consumer market, it makes it!

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2008, 11:25:05 AM »
This is insane:
http://www.businessweek.com/technology/ByteOfTheApple/blog/archives/2008/07/att_iphone_pric.html

$90 for the cheapest iphone plan with free sms???

Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Eli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2008, 11:50:37 AM »
Wow, do you realize how insane that is? I hate when they do this whole "Enterprise Data" thing. It's absolutely ridiculous. Blackberry does it also.

I can connect to 30 different gmail accounts and watch as many youtube videos as I want on a regular iPhone plan and pay $30 for unlimited internet, but if I want to connect to my exchange server, which uses maybe at most a few MB's extra of overhead over an entire month (besides for the e-mails themselves), it's now gonna cost me $45 for the unlimited data plan.

But with everyone browsing the web and watching videos on their phones these days, there is absolutely no reason to charge more for Enterprise Data. It could very well be (and it probably is this way) that the teenager connecting to his gmail account is using hundreds more MB's per month than the executive who is connecting to his exchange server.

Why are companies so short-sighted?
-Eli

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2008, 11:59:27 AM »
But with everyone browsing the web and watching videos on their phones these days, there is absolutely no reason to charge more for Enterprise Data. It could very well be (and it probably is this way) that the teenager connecting to his gmail account is using hundreds more MB's per month than the executive who is connecting to his exchange server.
Because the executives aren't paying the $45 out of their pocket, and will get it regardless of the cost!
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Eli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2008, 12:11:35 PM »
What about me, who uses an exchange server and is not an executive. I've heard from someone that the $15 extra will only be applied to business users, not to regular users, and AT&T cannot tell whether you are using an exchange server or not.

Too bad I am on a business plan. How else would I be getting my 25% discount every month?
-Eli