Author Topic: New iPhone 3G  (Read 17544 times)

Offline Mordy

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: New iPhone 3G
« Reply #40 on: July 03, 2008, 12:20:08 PM »
Because the executives aren't paying the $45 out of their pocket, and will get it regardless of the cost!

^ Yes! They can and will charge what they want, regardless of how many MB's you need. Its more a matter of "what will people pay for this service" more than a set price for what you get.

They justify it as a "different tier of service", in other words you're supposed to get better service (sometimes a different APN with server dedicated for business folk who won't get lagged data sharing traffic servers with all the teenage consumers watching youtube), but in reality most people won't notice any difference, if one even exists.

the openmoko looks like its coming out pretty soon july 4! http://www.engadget.com/2008/07/02/openmoko-neo-freerunner-available-for-order-july-4-shipping-jul/

No, OpenMoko has been out a while already. The FreeRunner is their latest handset which replaces the Neo 1973 which was hyped about in linux magazines over a year ago.
What's that? You didn't know about that?
Exactly. No one did, unless you've been following the phone industry very closely.

That's the problem, OpenMoko doesn't have a large enough community backing it to give it the oomph that an open-source project needs. Its nice that they're releasing a new phone with some nifty new features (motion sensors, etc), but that's still not enough to make this an acceptable alternative to any smartphone for anyone other an the elitist hax0rs, who only want it for bragging rights.

That's where Google Android might step in and save the day (since everything Google does has an instant fan following and media buzz), but we'll see about that.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 12:38:51 PM by Mordy »
Mobile Enthusiast Extraordinaire

Visit one of the Tech Blogs I write: http://www.techcitement.com

Offline Scrable

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 03, 2008, 04:25:15 PM »
This is insane:
http://www.businessweek.com/technology/ByteOfTheApple/blog/archives/2008/07/att_iphone_pric.html

$90 for the cheapest iphone plan with free sms???

100% insane, i like the Sprint $99 simply everything plan and look what you get there for the Instinct, tho i have the not kosher unlimited min plan.

But remember that most people buying the iPhone would pay the old $399 price, but for the rest of the people thy are letting you pay that out monthly by the extra $10 for 3G data speeds.

Now in a way what makes it not insane if i get a line for $39 from ATT and theng et an iPhone what will the iPhone b worth with no internet? Just an iPod with wi-fi, which is why the high price with out a contract may be for the case where you don't want internet, or simply unlock it and then get any plan you want with any sim you want.
Zalman.

Offline Smirk

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 03, 2008, 04:41:26 PM »
google released a gmail chat app for the iphone

Offline Scrable

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2008, 05:01:44 PM »
google released a gmail chat app for the iphone
Yes thy did i used it b4 on my iPod touch, it's not to great, i think thy can do better. And also it's a web app which is not to great.
Zalman.

Offline Smirk

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2008, 08:55:21 PM »
Yes thy did i used it b4 on my iPod touch, it's not to great, i think thy can do better. And also it's a web app which is not to great.
exactly and since its web based, and since safari has its moods and shuts down when it feel, your convo's will get shut too

Offline Eli

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Platinum, Priority Club Platinum, Fairmont Premier, Avis First, Star Alliance Gold, bmi Gold and A"A Lifetime Gold
« Reply #45 on: July 04, 2008, 12:57:37 AM »
The iPhone is awesome and the iPhone sucks. But I think the sucks outweighs the awesome. I would be in 7th heaven if only there were a 3G, WM6.1, flip-phone for GSM. Until then I'm stuck with my Cingular 3125.
-Eli

Offline Mordy

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 07, 2008, 02:24:28 PM »
Eli, sadly the smartflip/3125/StarTrk was considered a failure by HTC.
I'm with you, man- that was the BEST form factor a smartphone has ever had.
For those of you that aren't familiar with it- Its a Windows Mobile Smartphone that is approximately the same size and shape as the Moto Razr.

So, it effectively blurred the lines for people who didn't want a smartphone or higher end device because of the size and bulk. Problem is, people don't look at it and think "smartphone", despite the fact that it ran Windows Mobile 5.0.
They looked at it and saw a Moto Razr clone with some nifty features. Meanwhile, those looking for smartphones settled for Qwerty devices like the Blackberry or Palm Treos.
The same thing happened to the HTC Tornado (SDA, 2125, sp5m, etc), a device resembling your standard fare Nokia or classic Sony Ericsson phone, yet also surprisingly was a full blown Windows Mobile PDA, complete with WiFi. When I had this phone, my blackberry weilding coworkers and friends would look and scoff- "Mordy, I thought you were into phones... why are carrying around that bland little dinky thing?".
They were totally overlooked and under-marketed for what they were.
As a result, HTC's marketing team seems to be shifting away from thinking outside the box, trying to make more "traditional" shaped devices that sell better since they are recognizably different than standard fare phones.

Its a shame, Eli. Keep your 3125 as long as you can because I doubt anything better will ever come out to replace it as far as features vs. size. At least not in this market... Look, even the iPhone gets bigger with each generation!

Offline nfsnyc

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 07, 2008, 05:40:23 PM »
No offense, but the 3125 was rather slow (in my opinion). And (this is purely personal preference) I find WM WAY easier to use with a touch screen. (MDA/8125 WING/8525 8925). Not to mention the keypad was horrible, especially if using WM functionalities such as composing E-Mails and writing Word Documents.

Not to mention that with WM you want as big a screen as possible, I mean to truly use WM you'll want to be able see Word documents and things like that easily.

But youre right, I cant think of a a flip windows mobile phone to beat the 3125...then again I cant really think of more than one other flip WM phone lol. (Infamous i930).
**In an effort to contribute to this site, id like to invite anyone with any Cell Phone Unlocking (-GSM-) related questions to message me.*(Not an expert but have my share of knowledge on the subject.)**

Offline mancunian

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 09, 2008, 04:29:26 PM »
does anyone know how i would open a buisness plan w/ att? i took a look @ them and they offer 20000 minuets and up to 40 lines for $1000 (+$10/line). are they going to look at my credit score to aprove me? it doesnt make sense that they would for a buisness plan, i have a friend w/ a normal credit score who couldnt get 10 lines on a sprint family plan. if anyone knows anything pls let me know.

also, if u have a att plan u should be able to get as many iphones as u want lchura, if u say u lost it wont they just let u buy a new one at $199?

Offline Mordy

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 10, 2008, 12:24:28 PM »
no, $199 is a subsidized price. If you lost it, and don't pay for insurance, they'll charge you full retail for the phone ($500+ I think)

Offline Eli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Platinum, Priority Club Platinum, Fairmont Premier, Avis First, Star Alliance Gold, bmi Gold and A"A Lifetime Gold
« Reply #50 on: July 10, 2008, 06:48:58 PM »
hello everyone. We are in venice and i am typing this msg from an iphone 3g.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 08:58:33 PM by Eli »
-Eli

Offline Eli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 10, 2008, 08:57:43 PM »
just wanted to update you guys. I was using the iPhone 3g in the store and the guy told me I had to give others a chance. I tested it with my Cingular sim and it worked which means it's unlocked. Pretty cool that the EU version comes unlocked. I would love to buy a bunch and sell it on ebay but the truth is that tmobile doesn't have 3g anyway so it wouldn't do anyone in the states any good. Let me know if you have any questions.

And for the ppl who have the old version, you can now upgrade the firmwAre to 2.0 although you will not get 3g just the new features, one of which is Exchange Activesync.
-Eli

Offline Mordy

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 11, 2008, 10:29:22 AM »
Yes, a freind of mine who works for Microsoft gave me the whole rundown of activesync for iPhone about 4 months ago.

I was shocked that MS decided to give Apple one of the things that put Windows Mobile ahead of other mobile OSs...
Well, congrats, iPhone... you're finally a Smartphone. Hey, BB fans- how's it feel that the iPhone is actually a more capable device than your blackberry now?
heh...
http://www.mopocket.com/2008/07/happy-iphone-day-to-all.php
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 10:31:56 AM by Mordy »

Offline stevenk

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 11, 2008, 12:30:49 PM »
Can I get the Iphone without the data plan?

Offline Mordy

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 11, 2008, 01:01:35 PM »
The subsidized price is for a 2 year contract with the iphone plan.

If you don't want the plan, you have to pay full retail price, which I'm guessing is a few hundred.

Offline E

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 19, 2008, 11:20:53 PM »