Author Topic: Is Hyperinflation On The Horizon?  (Read 152685 times)

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
Re: Is Hyperinflation On The Horizon?
« Reply #740 on: January 23, 2022, 08:11:01 PM »
Still no explanation why it’s so much steeper in the Kosher/frum world. The LinkedIn thread above (posted by yuneeq) has a ton of competent commenters and no real explanations.
Mashgichim need to be paid more in many cases. With the way the frum community was able to capitalize on COVID there is much less incentive.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Lurker

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #741 on: January 23, 2022, 08:12:03 PM »
Mashgichim need to be paid more in many cases. With the way the frum community was able to capitalize on COVID there is much less incentive.

Minimum wage for mashgichim has gone up 15-20% here.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: January 23, 2022, 08:12:07 PM »
More truck drivers, more trucks, more dock workers to load trucks, more warehouse workers to unload and repack trucks for local distribution, more workers at retailers to unload trucks to get them back on the road quicker.... Good times.

And cheaper fuel.

What about large non-food items that get transported over long distances, have they been seeing similar increases?
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #743 on: January 23, 2022, 08:12:39 PM »
And cheaper fuel.

What about large non-food items that get transported over long distances, have they been seeing similar increases?

Ask a Floridian about 9x13 pans....

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #744 on: January 23, 2022, 08:13:36 PM »
That is a big expense. It also went up for the ingredients.

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #745 on: January 23, 2022, 08:14:01 PM »
Ask a Floridian about 9x13 pans....
What about plastic cups?

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #746 on: January 23, 2022, 08:14:53 PM »
That is a big expense. It also went up for the ingredients.

Produce is up, packaging is up, labor is up. These are not Kosher specific, though. This is across the board.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #747 on: January 23, 2022, 08:16:31 PM »
What about plastic cups?

More expensive, but at least you can find them. People here send mass texts when Sam's Club has pans in stock online. It reminds me of people looking for gas right before a hurricane.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: January 23, 2022, 08:18:01 PM »
Produce is up, packaging is up, labor is up. These are not Kosher specific, though. This is across the board.

But the frum inflation has been significant outpacing national inflation, it can’t just be Hashgacha and transportation, though those might definitely be contributing factors.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #749 on: January 23, 2022, 08:33:21 PM »
But the frum inflation has been significant outpacing national inflation, it can’t just be Hashgacha and transportation, though those might definitely be contributing factors.

Purely hypothesizing.... I know that one of the big meat producers had a major packaging issue. It's possible that they aren't big enough to negotiate their way through shortages, and therefore end up paying a premium and passing it on to the end user. This can be applied to any Kosher sector.

Further hypothesizing: there are serious supply issues for parts. When a major player has a machine or 2 down, a) it's a smaller percentage of their overall operation that is affected, and b) they can buy their way to the front of the line.

Kosher producers are relatively small fish in the food world, and are more likely to feel greater adverse effects from issues which others can absorb more easily.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #750 on: January 23, 2022, 08:50:59 PM »
Purely hypothesizing.... I know that one of the big meat producers had a major packaging issue. It's possible that they aren't big enough to negotiate their way through shortages, and therefore end up paying a premium and passing it on to the end user. This can be applied to any Kosher sector.

Further hypothesizing: there are serious supply issues for parts. When a major player has a machine or 2 down, a) it's a smaller percentage of their overall operation that is affected, and b) they can buy their way to the front of the line.

Kosher producers are relatively small fish in the food world, and are more likely to feel greater adverse effects from issues which others can absorb more easily.

These are things that sound more like the COVID thread about Kosher food shortages, than about an ongoing inflation situation.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #751 on: January 23, 2022, 08:55:46 PM »
These are things that sound more like the COVID thread about Kosher food shortages, than about an ongoing inflation situation.

They aren't mutually exclusive. Shortages cause prices to go up. Government money from loans and grants cause money to be worth less, also causing prices to rise.. Big companies who cleaned up government money can spend more to address Covid related shortages, making the effects of both the shortages and inflation worse for smaller companies.

Offline ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #752 on: January 23, 2022, 11:00:15 PM »

I spent some time on Shabbos with a friend who is a shliach in Shanghai. We spoke about the current conditions there vis-a-vis covid-19, and I mentioned the challenges to the kosher food industry. He told me that certifying agencies have turned to shluchim to fill the void, due to the inability to send mashgichim. He told me that the daily rate they charge the agencies is over $1,000 to compensate for the risks.  With no visitors allowed in China, this replaces lots of lost income.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: January 23, 2022, 11:50:56 PM »
I spent some time on Shabbos with a friend who is a shliach in Shanghai. We spoke about the current conditions there vis-a-vis covid-19, and I mentioned the challenges to the kosher food industry. He told me that certifying agencies have turned to shluchim to fill the void, due to the inability to send mashgichim. He told me that the daily rate they charge the agencies is over $1,000 to compensate for the risks.  With no visitors allowed in China, this replaces lots of lost income.

What are the risks to a China based Shliach? Getting COVID and having to quarantine for three months?

Online EliJelly

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: January 23, 2022, 11:56:05 PM »
Are the shluchim there going through proper training to certify all these complicated plants and machinery? Did he mention anything about that? The last thing we want to become deprived of "due to Covid" is high kashrus standards.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #755 on: January 24, 2022, 12:13:04 AM »
Are the shluchim there going through proper training to certify all these complicated plants and machinery? Did he mention anything about that? The last thing we want to become deprived of "due to Covid" is high kashrus standards.

Which is why the certifying agency is so important. Only trust those that will make sure they send mashgichim that know what they really need to do.
-- Dan

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #756 on: January 24, 2022, 12:15:20 AM »
What are the risks to a China based Shliach? Getting COVID and having to quarantine for three months?

The agencies don't provide the equivalent of workers comp. Quarantine risk is huge. Mashgich can go on what is scheduled to be a day or two visit, and be quarantined in a hotel that has been locked down due to exposure for two weeks.
-- Dan

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: January 24, 2022, 12:21:32 AM »
The agencies don't provide the equivalent of workers comp. Quarantine risk is huge. Mashgich can go on what is scheduled to be a day or two visit, and be quarantined in a hotel that has been locked down due to exposure for two weeks.

That’s what I’m asking. Lurker said “risks”, and I thought that’s what he meant, just confirming.

Offline yuneeq

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: January 24, 2022, 07:50:01 AM »
It’s funny to think that a community that has been living as if COVID never existed is supposedly suffering the most from COVID related shortages. I’m not buying it.
Visibly Jewish

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: January 24, 2022, 08:58:23 AM »
It’s funny to think that a community that has been living as if COVID never existed is supposedly suffering the most from COVID related shortages. I’m not buying it.

Even if people live in a zero-COVID bubble (/s), there’s a pandemic going on outside that bubble all the same.