Author Topic: Is Hyperinflation On The Horizon?  (Read 152376 times)

Offline Lurker

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
Re: Is Hyperinflation On The Horizon?
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2021, 03:02:02 PM »
I don't think this money is going to be saved or invested responsibly,

The vast majority of it will end up in the pockets of those who have already made fortunes preying on the less savvy.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline cgr

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2021, 03:02:40 PM »
Why won't they be spending on stuff to stimulate the economy? On the contrary, I would assume that a very large amount of the money they are gaining with no sweat, and is going to the lower income segment, which always spends a much larger percentage of its income on goods and services than the higher income segments do, will be going straight back into the economy in the form of personal consumption purchases.

I don't think this money is going to be saved or invested responsibly, nor do I think that doing so would be the intention of the stimulus bill.
I don't know if it's so much about the income bracket a kid grows up in or if it's more about the values they're taught, but they (and from what I've heard many of their friends) are planning on saving up so that they can eventually use it to purchase a home a few years down the line. Will it eventually end up back in circulation? Yes. Will it be within the next 2-3 years when it will probably be most important? I don't think so.
And if it doesn't go back into the economy in the next 2-3 years the damage could already be inflicted so that they'll have no reason to put it into the economy in the next 5-10 years either.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2021, 03:05:38 PM »
I don't know if it's so much about the income bracket a kid grows up in or if it's more about the values they're taught, but they (and from what I've heard many of their friends) are planning on saving up so that they can eventually use it to purchase a home a few years down the line. Will it eventually end up back in circulation? Yes. Will it be within the next 2-3 years when it will probably be most important? I don't think so.
And if it doesn't go back into the economy in the next 2-3 years the damage could already be inflicted so that they'll have no reason to put it into the economy in the next 5-10 years either.

This is assuming they actually have that $50k+ in cash and they aren't still day trading and playing with crypto.

Offline drosenberg88429

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2021, 03:07:15 PM »

Those are responsible well raised young adults that will do well in life. That's a lot better than blowing it on a car or dream vacation because easy come easy go and YOLO, even though our stock market thrives on fiscal idiocy.

Online ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2021, 03:34:01 PM »

You've just explained why there's no concern of inflation. If anything the concern is the opposite.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline cgr

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 02, 2021, 03:37:49 PM »
You've just explained why there's no concern of inflation. If anything the concern is the opposite.
There's a concern because of the mentality it comes with. These kids see themselves as "rich" and my first 50k just lost it's value- after all the guy next to me earned it by sitting home for 8 months doing nothing.

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #46 on: April 02, 2021, 03:59:15 PM »
There's a concern because of the mentality it comes with. These kids see themselves as "rich" and my first 50k just lost it's value- after all the guy next to me earned it by sitting home for 8 months doing nothing.

But savings is, by definition, disinflationary.

A rich person doesn't feel any need to save. Feeling or seeing oneself as rich is a mental state.

https://he.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/3140172
« Last Edit: April 02, 2021, 04:02:28 PM by ExGingi »
-- Dan

Offline Kobe Bryant

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 02, 2021, 04:03:08 PM »
A rich person doesn't feel any need to save.
I disagree.

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 02, 2021, 04:07:54 PM »
I disagree.

If said person "needs" something, what makes that person rich?

Take a few moments to read, if not actually learn, the maamar linked above.

Also see Richard Russell's famous piece "Rich Man Poor Man".
« Last Edit: April 02, 2021, 06:35:49 PM by ExGingi »
-- Dan

Offline PlatinumGuy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 04, 2021, 07:49:06 AM »
These kids aren't going to be spending their funds on stuff to stimulate the economy
Sure they are

״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 04, 2021, 07:52:19 AM »
Debt financed spending is taking future spending and bringing it forward. As debt grows, a larger portion of money needs to go into servicing that debt, curtailing consumption. Debt servicing is a non-productive expenditure. Spending can either contribute to growth or be totally wasteful.
That would be true about real hard currency debt. The US (& other major powers like the EU & UK) owes paper, it's never going to pay it back. It will be inflated to oblivion, as it's been since the gold standard was cancelled to extract us from the Great Depression. 
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline Kobe Bryant

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 04, 2021, 09:05:22 PM »
If said person "needs" something, what makes that person rich?
Feeling or seeing oneself as rich is a mental state.

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 04, 2021, 09:46:26 PM »

Exactly. And by definition, said mental state means that the person has everything he or she needs. Hence no need to save.
-- Dan

Offline Kobe Bryant

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 05, 2021, 09:15:55 AM »
Exactly. And by definition, said mental state means that the person has everything he or she needs. Hence no need to save.
You’re entitled to your definitions.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 05, 2021, 09:57:21 AM »

Why does having everything you need mean you have no need to save for the future?

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 05, 2021, 10:21:21 AM »
Why does having everything you need mean you have no need to save for the future?

By definition, if you have everything you need, future (perceived) needs are included in that, hence no need to save.
-- Dan

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #56 on: April 05, 2021, 10:25:34 AM »
By definition, if you have everything you need, future (perceived) needs are included in that, hence no need to save.
Can someone be rich and also need a drink?
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Kobe Bryant

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 05, 2021, 10:27:33 AM »
So a person is only “Rich” if they have enough money to last them and their family a life time?

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 05, 2021, 11:01:41 AM »
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/rich

Definition of rich (Entry 1 of 2)
1 : having abundant possessions and especially material wealth
2a : having high value or quality
b : well supplied or endowed
a city rich in traditions

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #59 on: April 05, 2021, 11:04:59 AM »
So a person is only “Rich” if they have enough money to last them and their family a life time?
No (based on my understanding of what @ExGingi is saying) since they will only have it if they save it.
Feelings don't care about your facts