Author Topic: A taste of paradise - review of Hilton Labriz Seychelles Resort  (Read 9898 times)

Offline tavster

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 65
    • View Profile
  • Programs: LY TP
Sneak peek

I'm posting from Hilton Labriz Resort located on Silhouette island, in the Seychelles.

I thought I would post my main takeaways and a few pics now, and hopefully follow up with a more detailed review in case anyone is interested.

Key takeaways:
- SEZ, Seychelles' main international airport, located on main island Mahé, is 6 hour direct flight from TLV. Multiple weekly flights available on El Al and Air Seychelles, and seasonal flights on Arkia. Prices currently start at around $400 return in economy.

- Although Silhouette island is the third largest of the Seychelles, 95% is protected natural reserve. So besides the hotel and couple dozen locals living there, the island is totally wild. The lush vegetation, diverse wildlife and beautiful hiking trails are definitely special. Some of the hikes are very rough and require a guide (and good physical conditions).

- Guests can get to Silhouette either through the shuttle boats twice daily for a 50mn ride (cost 70 euros per way IINM) or by helicopter for a 15mn ride from SEZ. I chose the latter :) cost 630 euros per way for entire helicopter which can carry 4 passengers.

- Hilton Labriz is a beachfront villa-only resort, set on a 1.5km stretch of white-sand beach. The hotel is generous towards Hilton Gold and Diamonds. The most 'basic' villa is a Garden Villa, which cost 80k HH per night all year round (64k with 5th night free). Gold members automatically get upgraded to a Beachfront villa within 24h of booking, a very nice gesture IMHO. In addition, they allow to prepay for additional guaranteed upgrade at a significantly discounted rate. For example for the King Deluxe Beachfront, which is massive and has its own pool, I was quoted 180 euros per night for the upgrade when cash rate often go above 1000 euros per night. They also throw in nice perks for Gold and Diamond such as free snorkeling, kayaking and biking rentals. I was about to book the prepaid guaranteed upgrade, but then DW reminded me that our younger kid doesnt know how to swim, so we would constantly be worried about them falling into the pool. I don't regret not taking the upgrade since our kids love playing on the beach in front of our porch.

- The resort is very friendly towards kosher eaters. They are storing my massive cooler bag in their freezer and offered to warm up the meals on demand for free (which I declined since I have my own setup). I brought my own pan and they are happy to cook eggs for me at breakfast (HT to @shmebeble). The executive chef offered to cook fish and vegetables in silver foil with me watching, in case I was interested.

- Prices are very reasonable. Coffee or soft drinks by the pool are around $3, cocktails $6 IINM. They have happy hours at the beachfront bar etc. For Gold and and Diamond they have a 'weekly' happy hour with complimentary drink - hey better than nothing.

- Overall it's a great resort. It's not luxurious per WA MLE standards but it's very authentic, eco-friendly, with greenery everywhere. My kids are having the time of their life - i can relax with DW on the villas' porch while they play on the sand etc. I also didn't see any Israeli fellow during our entire time here. And generally speaking we hardly saw anyone across the resort besides at breakfast, despite near full occupancy.

- Two small downsides: wifi is quite slow, I've been downloading at 70kbps - good enough for basic internet and Netflix. For those who need a negative PCR test to enter their home countries on the way back, tests across the Seychelles are expensive and cost around $180.

I'm posting a few pictures. The drone ones and the one from the villas are from Hilton, since I forgot to take pictures before unpacking, and since they have a strict no drones policy.

LY plane in SEZ

Our helicopter ride from SEZ to Silhouette

Hilton Labriz

Resort Map - it's an older one since they haven't published a new one but essentially the 'Beach Villa' are the Beachfront villas and the 'Ocean Pavillons' are the King Deluxe Beachfront - which I highly suggest for their great privacy.

Villas - Garden and Beachfront look the same, except for the location

View of the beach

Crystal clear waters

King Deluxe Beachfront

Resort

Pool

« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 04:31:54 AM by tavster »

Offline JlmBoi

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: A taste of paradise - review of Hilton Labriz Seychelles Resort
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2021, 07:38:15 AM »
Wow beautiful!
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 10:20:20 AM by Something Fishy »
The chiddush of DDF is the way Dan Deals with all us crazies 🤪

Offline 1avigrun

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2021, 08:40:19 AM »
We want more :)

Offline BarryLincoln

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Platinum, National Executive, Hertz Five Star
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2021, 09:45:37 AM »
Great start!! Thank you for sharing!!!

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2021, 10:22:13 AM »
Looks amazing!
How did you decide on which hotel in SEZ to go with?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline tavster

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2021, 11:18:33 AM »
Looks amazing!
How did you decide on which hotel in SEZ to go with?
I loved everything about this resort when I started doing research. Especially the fact that it is very secluded, all-villas, and gives access to nice hikes.

As a side note, there are very few points hotels in SEZ.
Hilton has three (besides the Labriz they have one on main island which is adult only, and a DoubleTree. They are also about to open a LXR on main island .

Marriott only has that famous North Island one but it's obviously not relevant  :) They used to have a cat 6 Meridien but the hotel left Marriott a few months ago.

There are plenty stunning non-chain hotels such as Four Seasons etc

Offline @Yehuda

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2021, 12:29:44 PM »
Wow, looks beautiful! Thanks for sharing.

Offline sam28

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2021, 05:33:18 PM »
wow looks amazing . keep it coming

Offline Live N Learn

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2021, 04:57:38 AM »
Nice writeup, waiting for more.
What did you do for airfare?
".איזהו חכם, הלומד מכל אדם"

Offline tavster

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2021, 05:16:15 AM »
Nice writeup, waiting for more.
What did you do for airfare?
Thanks!
I used some of my LY vouchers and paid $410 per ticket in Y
It wasn't worth using my points when cash rates were low

Offline tavster

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2021, 07:04:02 AM »
We've been here for six days and mostly relaxed by the beach and pools.
We rented also rented kayaks, they have the transparent ones. They also have all kinds of games which my kids enjoyed: minigolf, trampoline, table football, voleyball.

Yesterday we took a babysitter while DW and I went to spa. The spa treatments were phenomenal - best one I've had in years. 60mn massage cost $100 per person, and Diamond get 15% off.

My kids had a blast with the babysitter, which took them to feed the fishes and turtles  :) The babysitter cost around $10 per hour per child IINM

For tomorrow we booked a private boat to take us around the island for 2 hours including snorkeling etc. And for Friday we're either going to check out Mahé island or take a helicopter to turtle island. Will report back. We're also getting PCR tested on Friday ahead of our return flight on Sunday.

I'm taking this opportunity to call anyone with Aspire credit for sale to PM me  :) :)

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2021, 07:16:49 AM »
The hotel is generous towards Hilton Gold and Diamonds. The most 'basic' villa is a Garden Villa, which cost 80k HH per night all year round (64k with 5th night free). Gold members automatically get upgraded to a Beachfront villa within 24h of booking, a very nice gesture IMHO. In addition, they allow to prepay for additional guaranteed upgrade at a significantly discounted rate. For example for the King Deluxe Beachfront, which is massive and has its own pool, I was quoted 180 euros per night for the upgrade when cash rate often go above 1000 euros per night.
Inspired by your TR, I just made a tentative booking for next week for somebody, thank you!

So far, the hotel is saying they will only upgrade to the beachfront villa on arrival (diamond), and want 125 EUR/night to guarantee it in advance. I am trying to push back now.

FWIW, Elal lands at 3:25pm and their shared boat departs at 4pm & 6pm (if there are arriving guests). The boat is 145 EUR roundtrip (not sure if you can pay for OW only) and there is also a fee for the car from the airport to the harbor - I think something like $50 but you can always take your own taxi instead.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 07:25:43 AM by PlatinumGuy »
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline israshot

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2021, 07:37:45 AM »
Very nice TR. Keep it coming.

Offline Ergel

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2021, 07:41:20 AM »
Inspired by your TR, I just made a tentative booking for next week for somebody, thank you!

So far, the hotel is saying they will only upgrade to the beachfront villa on arrival (diamond), and want 125 EUR/night to guarantee it in advance. I am trying to push back now.

FWIW, Elal lands at 3:25pm and their shared boat departs at 4pm & 6pm (if there are arriving guests). The boat is 145 EUR roundtrip (not sure if you can pay for OW only) and there is also a fee for the car from the airport to the harbor - I think something like $50 but you can always take your own taxi instead.

145 Euro per person?
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline Kobe Bryant

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2021, 08:13:36 AM »
Beautiful TR

Offline tavster

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2021, 08:56:39 AM »

For me they proactively upgraded both bookings.
PM after Shabbos and i can send you screenshots of my conversations with them.

The resort was quite empty at the beginning of the week and is scheduled to be full this weekend so it could be that they are reluctant to upgrade. I wouldn't have come here if i didn't know in advance about the beachfront upgrade.

Regarding the boat they set the time according to the arrivals etc, but most people I spoke to said it took at least 2.5h door to door from the airport to the hotel. That's why for me the helicopter was a no brainer, especially if you can get aspire credits.

145 Euro per person?
Yes

Offline PlatinumGuy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2021, 05:02:26 PM »
For me they proactively upgraded both bookings.
PM after Shabbos and i can send you screenshots of my conversations with them.

The resort was quite empty at the beginning of the week and is scheduled to be full this weekend so it could be that they are reluctant to upgrade. I wouldn't have come here if i didn't know in advance about the beachfront upgrade.

Regarding the boat they set the time according to the arrivals etc, but most people I spoke to said it took at least 2.5h door to door from the airport to the hotel. That's why for me the helicopter was a no brainer, especially if you can get aspire credits.
Yes
Thx. Trip won't be happening at this point though.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline tavster

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2021, 03:08:26 PM »
I looked into the different day trips available from Silhouette. The most popular are day-trips to Praslin and La Digue, two iconic islands with stunning beaches, but I didn't feel spending hours on boats etc.

After chatting with the concierge I realized that the two-hour private boat rental is actually great value since it's priced at $75 pp, with kids 4-12 at 50%. So we booked a boat which can carry up to 25 people, with 2 crew members plus the captain, for $187 for two hours.

We had booked on Sunday for Thursday. On Wednesday night they told me that no boat will be available on Thursday so we would have to switch to Friday. That's when I started thinking that they were prioritizing larger groups, since they generate more revenues.

Thursday is also 'happy-hour-day' for Gold and Diamond HH; drinks are not free but heavily discounted.

On Thursday night they told me that the boat had a problem so it wouldn't be able to go on Friday. The activities manager came to our villa to apologize and make it up to us. We really wanted a change of scenery but couldn't plan a proper trip to Mahé on such short notice, especially with Shabbos coming in quite early. I tried to negotiate a free helicopter ride but she wouldn't budge.. Instead they offered a couple massage + 2 hour babysitter, which we accepted.

Turns out it was raining very hard on Friday morning so it was all for the best. We did PCR tests before heading to the Spa. Massages were great, again.

We were offered to reschedule the boat ride for Sunday morning, with our helicopter ride scheduled for 3:30pm to SEZ, and we accepted.

The ride was great. It was just the 4 of us plus the crew. We sailed to a few nice snorkeling spots (I lost my GoPro last year so no underwater pictures), passed by North Island, and the captain let my kids drive the boat so everyone was happy.

At 1pm I went to pick up my PCR results from the lobby. Turns out there were 6 other Israeli couples, which I had never seen before, who were also picking up theirs, ahead of our afternoon flight to TLV.

Our boat for the private tour

A few snorkeling spots

Marriott's North Island - the closest I'll ever get to it  :)

Our helicopter transfer to SEZ

Flight plan for the 15mn journey

Flying over Mahe

Approaching SEZ - amazing how short the runway feels, with the sea on both ends

« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 03:16:38 PM by tavster »

Offline ChikkyMonkey

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2021, 10:27:49 AM »
Tavster, thank you for the report.. I'm scheduled to go during the summer. Wife and one kid. 

I land on Friday and leave Sunday 9 days later...

Was originally planning on going to Labriz until maybe Wednesday, and then transferring to Praslin as I hear it and La Digue are gorgeous. Does it make sense to transfer to there? Is La Digue worth the shlep?

Other option would be to either stay entire time in Labriz, or to stay first Shabbos in Mahe and go to Labriz after.. but I'm a little reluctant and Mahe sounds like a big crowded island, not what we are looking for.. Any thoughts? 

Also I understand correctly that Helicopter transfer you arrange through hotel? What is the advantage of Aspire card, just getting the extra points?

Offline tavster

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2021, 10:35:01 AM »
Tavster, thank you for the report.. I'm scheduled to go during the summer. Wife and one kid. 

I land on Friday and leave Sunday 9 days later...

Was originally planning on going to Labriz until maybe Wednesday, and then transferring to Praslin as I hear it and La Digue are gorgeous. Does it make sense to transfer to there? Is La Digue worth the shlep?

Other option would be to either stay entire time in Labriz, or to stay first Shabbos in Mahe and go to Labriz after.. but I'm a little reluctant and Mahe sounds like a big crowded island, not what we are looking for.. Any thoughts? 

Also I understand correctly that Helicopter transfer you arrange through hotel? What is the advantage of Aspire card, just getting the extra points?
Hi @ChikkyMonkey. PM me and we'll go through the list of questions  :)