Author Topic: Southwest devaluation without notice  (Read 1384 times)

Offline mochjas

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 123
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, AA EX PLAT, Jetblue Mosaic, Qatar Gold, United Silver

Offline Agoldsc1

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Southwest devaluation without notice
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2021, 08:51:52 AM »
https://twitter.com/onemileatatime/status/1382303247126384640

I’m surprised at a WN for devaluating without advance notice, only because it’s out of character for them.

That being said, 6% is not egregious (we’ve seen 50% with other airlines), and as long as they keep allowing changes with no fare difference and including different airports, everything else makes little difference.

Offline yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2021, 10:42:21 AM »
@Agoldsc1 Not directed at you, just the comments on DDMS triggered me lol.

Why do people feel the need to defend their favorite airlines? It seems like with everything in life, people takes sides and get a personal connection with their "team". And if you want to continue having a reason for them to be your favorite, then hold them accountable for their failings in order to ensure that they remain your favorite. By giving them a free pass you're not yourself any favors.

/End rant.  ;D

Offline Agoldsc1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2021, 11:07:56 AM »
@Agoldsc1 Not directed at you, just the comments on DDMS triggered me lol.

Why do people feel the need to defend their favorite airlines? It seems like with everything in life, people takes sides and get a personal connection with their "team". And if you want to continue having a reason for them to be your favorite, then hold them accountable for their failings in order to ensure that they remain your favorite. By giving them a free pass you're not yourself any favors.

/End rant.  ;D

Lol, I agree with that sentiment generally, but it seems silly to nitpick over a 6% devaluation (the first in three years), when the company is being so generous in other ways. Meaning, if a restaurant allowed me to order chicken wings and then trade it for a steak, I wouldn't be upset if they also add an undisclosed 6% gratuity to the bill. It would be better if they didn't, but all in all, I still shouldn't be complaining.

Random tangent-- I flew WN from LGA to MCO on the first day of Chol Hamoed, and the flight was probably 85% frum. I can't imagine that the crew ever had a flight with that many children, babies, and strollers (BH), but there were no issues whatsoever. I also wonder how many passengers on that flight actually paid the full fare  :P

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2021, 11:16:16 AM »
Lol, I agree with that sentiment generally, but it seems silly to nitpick over a 6% devaluation (the first in three years), when the company is being so generous in other ways. Meaning, if a restaurant allowed me to order chicken wings and then trade it for a steak, I wouldn't be upset if they also add an undisclosed 6% gratuity to the bill. It would be better if they didn't, but all in all, I still shouldn't be complaining.

Random tangent-- I flew WN from LGA to MCO on the first day of Chol Hamoed, and the flight was probably 85% frum. I can't imagine that the crew ever had a flight with that many children, babies, and strollers (BH), but there were no issues whatsoever. I also wonder how many passengers on that flight actually paid the full fare  :P
Nobody is nitpicking over the deval.
We're nitpicking over a deval with no warning.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Agoldsc1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2021, 11:27:47 AM »
Nobody is nitpicking over the deval.
We're nitpicking over a deval with no warning.

Fair, but there should also be some threshold for requiring or desiring warnings. IMO, 6% is borderline and can go either way.

Offline Kobe Bryant

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2021, 11:44:25 AM »
I am a bit surprised, and upset with this. With that being said WN is still my favorite airline.

Offline Sig

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2021, 09:11:51 AM »
I am a bit surprised, and upset with this. With that being said WN is still my favorite airline.
That's how business works. I have no doubt WN execs sat in a room and tried to figure out the optimal point where the majority of their revenue producing customers would say exactly what you just said. It doesn't help your profitability to be everyone's overwhelmingly favorite airline over just being their favorite airline.