Author Topic: Possible Amazon issue (using GC balance for S&S subscriptions)  (Read 2395 times)

Offline MarkR

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
I have a Subscribe&Save order that just hit and Amazon charged my credit card for most of them instead of using gift card balance as it usually does. I've been chatting with Amazon for a while and it seems like something changed. "Use gift card balance" used to be the default, and now isn't. I did a few test orders and sure enough, I have to click through to the "payment method" and then scroll all the way down and then check "use gift card balance" and then click back to the order and then create the subscription. This is ridiculous! It used to be the default to use gift card balance and I ALWAYS have gift card balance in my accounts.

Anyone else see this problem?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2023, 06:31:05 AM by AsherO »

Offline ckmk47

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Re: Possible Amazon issue
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2021, 04:06:00 PM »
Yes.  I tried it out and at the payment method, it says "Do not use gift card balance if available."  It  used to say to use it if available.
My favorite cause: cssy.org

Offline MarkR

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2021, 11:23:58 PM »
Yes.  I tried it out and at the payment method, it says "Do not use gift card balance if available."  It  used to say to use it if available.
It's really annoying. Now, when I remember, every S&S order will take a bunch of extra clicks. I know you can change payment method later, but how am I supposed to remember to do that for all my orders???? And I have LOTS of orders. I told the Amazon chat person to notify their technical team about it.

Offline etech0

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2021, 11:50:58 PM »
It's really annoying. Now, when I remember, every S&S order will take a bunch of extra clicks. I know you can change payment method later, but how am I supposed to remember to do that for all my orders???? And I have LOTS of orders. I told the Amazon chat person to notify their technical team about it.
Last time I changed my preferences for one order there was an option to change it for all orders to that address
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Offline ckmk47

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2021, 02:02:55 AM »
I told the Amazon chat person to notify their technical team about it.
My guess is that the change was deliberate.  IDK how Amazon benefits, but I don't think this is a glitch.

Offline MarkR

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2021, 10:58:27 AM »
My guess is that the change was deliberate.  IDK how Amazon benefits, but I don't think this is a glitch.
I can't see how they benefit. At best it'll annoy people, at worst, people will cancel orders. Plus at least some percentage will chat, and chats cost money.

Offline ckmk47

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2021, 02:31:15 PM »
I can't see how they benefit. At best it'll annoy people, at worst, people will cancel orders. Plus at least some percentage will chat, and chats cost money.
Many people won't notice at all. Some will notice after it ships, and will keep it without complaining.
So Amazon has more  unused Amazon credit out there.
Some will notice and chat, costing Amazon money, but will be told that nothing can be done.  And next time it happens they'll just take it.

Offline MarkR

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2021, 09:12:54 AM »
Many people won't notice at all. Some will notice after it ships, and will keep it without complaining.
So Amazon has more  unused Amazon credit out there.
Some will notice and chat, costing Amazon money, but will be told that nothing can be done.  And next time it happens they'll just take it.
Sure. But it's not in character for Amazon to do things like this. They want the buying process to be as smooth as possible. I just did 2 S&S purchases about 15 minutes ago (Thank you Dan and JJ!) and had a few extra steps to do ... and that adds a slight bit on annoyance and adds a slight bit of friction to the purchase.

Offline Boruch Parnes

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2021, 09:22:42 AM »
Sure. But it's not in character for Amazon to do things like this. They want the buying process to be as smooth as possible. I just did 2 S&S purchases about 15 minutes ago (Thank you Dan and JJ!) and had a few extra steps to do ... and that adds a slight bit on annoyance and adds a slight bit of friction to the purchase.
the more of a market they get the worse they get

Offline MarkR

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2021, 09:36:26 PM »
Okay. I figured out why Amazon might be doing this. When you use GC credit on a S&S item, they debit your GC balance immediately. But when they use a CC for an S&S item, they don't really charge it until the day the item ships. Maybe people complained that their GC credit was being used up by S&S items that aren't being shipped for another few weeks. But they should instead make it a selection - "Use GC credit for S&S items? YES/NO".

Offline ckmk47

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2021, 10:10:09 PM »
Okay. I figured out why Amazon might be doing this. When you use GC credit on a S&S item, they debit your GC balance immediately. But when they use a CC for an S&S item, they don't really charge it until the day the item ships. Maybe people complained that their GC credit was being used up by S&S items that aren't being shipped for another few weeks. But they should instead make it a selection - "Use GC credit for S&S items? YES/NO".
I might disagree.

"Use gift card balance if available."
After they've debited the GC for your S&S, if you want to spend it on something else, you can't?  It's used up?
I would think it would be a temporary hold on the GC, and you'd be able to use it on a current purchase.

But YES!
"Use gift card balance if available." Should be on the checkout page, not buried after 'change your payment method'.

Offline Euclid

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2023, 12:11:45 PM »
The option to use gift card for Subscribe & Save has completely disappeared from web and mobile.

@mods - can we change the title of this thread to something more descriptive?

Also what's the DDMS link to the post that discussed it? Couldn't find it @jj1000

Offline mb1

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2023, 11:45:25 AM »
Amazon is requiring a comment even when returning an item because it is no longer needed.

Offline Yo ssi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2023, 02:38:05 PM »
Amazon is requiring a comment even when returning an item because it is no longer needed.

Can always C&P
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/