Poll

Guilty?

No
17 (47.2%)
Yes
19 (52.8%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Author Topic: Guilty?  (Read 27399 times)

Offline Lurker

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
Re: Guilty?
« Reply #200 on: April 21, 2021, 09:43:37 AM »
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: April 21, 2021, 09:44:59 AM »
Can you think of any argument at all to bring this to the federal courts at this point?
Im not sure if you’re being facetious or serious but

Convictions have only rarely been overturned based on publicity prior to or during the trial, or perceptions of pressure on the jury. The most prominent such case recently involved Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, who was sentenced to death following a jury trial for the deadly bombing of the Boston Marathon finish line in 2013. Tsarnaev’s lawyers opposed the death sentence, but conceded his involvement in the bombing.

Last year, a federal appeals court overturned the death sentence, ruling that the 2015 trial appeared to have been tainted by “an avalanche of pretrial publicity” and that the judge overseeing the case did not adequately question jurors about whether they were exposed to the “reign of terror” in the Boston area during the manhunt for Tsarnaev and his brother, who died during a shootout with police.

The Supreme Court announced last month that it would take up the marathon bombing case, meaning the justices will likely issue a ruling on the publicity issue late this year or early next.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #202 on: April 21, 2021, 09:49:26 AM »
I find it ironic to see many of the same voices complaining that Chauvin is being jailed unfairly despite believing the alternative would have lead to widespread rioting were rooting against covid precautions, sacrificing the elderly & weak for the benefit of normalcy and supporting ruthless policing tactics for the greater good

In other words, Chauvin’s life to many is more important than the hundreds of thousands who have died from Covid and countless people brutalized by police tactics.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 09:54:12 AM by PlatinumGuy »
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Online CountValentine

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #203 on: April 21, 2021, 09:51:54 AM »
https://www.foxnews.com/us/officer-involved-shooting-columbus-ohio-1-dead

Based on the details of this case, I think it does great harm to juxtapose it with the Floyd case. It causes nuance to be lost by both sides, and promotes extremism.
Ya, I should have started a new thread so then I can get jumped on for starting new threads.  ::)
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #204 on: April 21, 2021, 09:56:01 AM »
Ya, I should have started a new thread so then I can get jumped on for starting new threads.  ::)

The comment was more on the article you posted than on where you posted it.

Offline lev g

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: April 21, 2021, 09:59:50 AM »
I find it ironic to see many of the same voices complaining that Chauvin is being jailed unfairly despite believing the alternative would have lead to widespread rioting were rooting against covid precautions, sacrificing the elderly & weak for the benefit of normalcy and supporting ruthless policing tactics for the greater good

In other words, Chauvin’s life to many is more important than the hundreds of thousands who have died from Covid and countless people brutalized by police tactics.

There is no connection between these two cases, the point is you don’t make in Not justice ruling because you are being blackmailed by a bunch of rioters.

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #206 on: April 21, 2021, 10:00:26 AM »

There is a distinct pattern to many of the posters.

Offline yerushabubby

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: April 21, 2021, 10:08:16 AM »
Floyd was saying "I cant breath" long before the officer had his knee on his back. Under cross examination, the police force professional admitted that there were many times he also did not believe there was a medical issue even when the suspect insisted there was.

True, but at a certain point they must have realized that he actually was having difficulty breathing.  I understand not believing what Floyd was saying, especially since, if I remember correctly, he claimed that he was having trouble breathing due to claustrophobia, but once his breathing became labored, there was no excuse to continue applying that level of pressure.

Offline yuneeq

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: April 21, 2021, 10:19:25 AM »
Floyd was saying "I cant breath" long before the officer had his knee on his back. Under cross examination, the police force professional admitted that there were many times he also did not believe there was a medical issue even when the suspect insisted there was.

There are other ways to restrain a person without sitting on their neck
Visibly Jewish

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #209 on: April 21, 2021, 10:28:17 AM »
There is no connection between these two cases, the point is you don’t make in Not justice ruling because you are being blackmailed by a bunch of rioters.
Yes but why does (perceived) injustice to Chauvin bother people more than harm to covid carriers, police brutality victims, or children of illegal immigrants?

Offline Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #210 on: April 21, 2021, 10:41:50 AM »
Yes but why does (perceived) injustice to Chauvin bother people more than harm to covid carriers, police brutality victims, or children of illegal immigrants?

Because ice cream has no bones.

Offline Afrages6

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: April 21, 2021, 10:44:05 AM »
Im not sure if you’re being facetious or serious but
That was a federal case to begin with

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #212 on: April 21, 2021, 10:59:10 AM »
That was a federal case to begin with
Yeah but doesn’t the appeal on due process grounds gives Federal court jurisdiction regardless of where it started?

Offline Ephcc90

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: April 21, 2021, 11:14:19 AM »
Yeah but doesn’t the appeal on due process grounds gives Federal court jurisdiction regardless of where it started?
I think (not positive though) that you can only file a writ of habeas corpus (which alleges a violation of constitutional rights) after exhausting all state appeals first.

Offline YitzyS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: April 21, 2021, 12:10:31 PM »
Ok fair enough. What are your thoughts on this specific example?
I have almost no knowledge about the incident. Skimming the Wikipedia page gives me the feelings that it was regular mass murder. The most obvious issue in the story is that the villagers posed no threat to anyone else, so killing them would seem to be an obvious crime. And no, while following orders can be an excuse for certain things, it is not a blanket excuse that can be applied to senseless murder.

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #215 on: April 21, 2021, 01:04:35 PM »
I have almost no knowledge about the incident. Skimming the Wikipedia page gives me the feelings that it was regular mass murder. The most obvious issue in the story is that the villagers posed no threat to anyone else, so killing them would seem to be an obvious crime. And no, while following orders can be an excuse for certain things, it is not a blanket excuse that can be applied to senseless murder.
The case was a little more complicated but we will leave it at that.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #216 on: April 21, 2021, 05:53:01 PM »
I think (not positive though) that you can only file a writ of habeas corpus (which alleges a violation of constitutional rights) after exhausting all state appeals first.
Yeah, nobody said he wouldn't need to do that first

Offline Ephcc90

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: April 21, 2021, 08:33:16 PM »
Yeah, nobody said he wouldn't need to do that first
Well, the original comment said can it be brought to Federal court “at this point.”  So the answer, I think, is no.

Online CountValentine

• View Profile

Offline Lurker

• View Profile