Author Topic: Please explain why it went up in price 2021  (Read 10351 times)

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
Re: Please explain why it went up in price 2021
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2021, 11:55:54 AM »
When the bubble pops, there will be many more options and much, much better pricing.
You hope.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Lurker

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2021, 11:59:43 AM »
You hope.

Unless we eliminate the ability for banks to foreclose on people permanently, it's a matter of when, not if.

ETA: and I actually really don't hope. If things go down the way I think they will, my house will be worth a lot less when I'm ready to sell it than it is now, possibly even less than when I bought it.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 12:06:54 PM by Lurker »
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2021, 12:17:35 PM »
Unless we eliminate the ability for banks to foreclose on people permanently, it's a matter of when, not if.

ETA: and I actually really don't hope. If things go down the way I think they will, my house will be worth a lot less when I'm ready to sell it than it is now, possibly even less than when I bought it.

So follow your own advice to sell and rent?

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2021, 12:22:27 PM »
So follow your own advice to sell and rent?

I'd love to, but I'm unfortunately not in a position to do so.

Offline Ver hut gazugt

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2021, 12:51:05 PM »
When the bubble pops, there will be many more options and much, much better pricing.

If inflation hits it does not matter if the bubble pops it will still be more expensive.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2021, 12:55:00 PM »
If inflation hits it does not matter if the bubble pops it will still be more expensive.

That's not true, unless we hit a sweet spot for inflation. The laws of supply and demand still rule. Inflation can cause a sharp increase in supply, too.

Offline yelped

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2021, 01:02:28 PM »
That's not true, unless we hit a sweet spot for inflation. The laws of supply and demand still rule. Inflation can cause a sharp increase in supply, too.
If inflation hits, wouldn't you want to be in a spot where you own your house, and your mortgage payments stay the same? It sounds a little risky to sell now and hope that you will be able to buy in a year or two for low.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2021, 01:09:37 PM »
If inflation hits, wouldn't you want to be in a spot where you own your house, and your mortgage payments stay the same? It sounds a little risky to sell now and hope that you will be able to buy in a year or two for low.

In my area, where the prices haven't skyrocketed as much as many other areas, prices are reaching now where they were at the peak of the bubble 15 years ago. When that bubble burst, townhouses that were selling for $220k could be had for $60k. Now, not all bubbles are the same and circumstances surrounding the before and after will be different, but if you can get a house for half of what it's going for now, you'd be betting on hyperinflation kicking in to justify the difference. With hyperinflation comes economic collapse, and even more buying opportunities.

Offline Ver hut gazugt

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2021, 01:12:09 PM »
it won’t matter if there is more supply the value/ buying power of the dollar will be much less. So Prices would have to come down dramatically to be cheaper then today’s prices.

Offline Ver hut gazugt

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2021, 01:15:36 PM »
In my area, where the prices haven't skyrocketed as much as many other areas, prices are reaching now where they were at the peak of the bubble 15 years ago. When that bubble burst, townhouses that were selling for $220k could be had for $60k. Now, not all bubbles are the same and circumstances surrounding the before and after will be different, but if you can get a house for half of what it's going for now, you'd be betting on hyperinflation kicking in to justify the difference. With hyperinflation comes economic collapse, and even more buying opportunities.

depends on which market but that type of price decline is very rare even in a downturn.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2021, 01:20:33 PM »
depends on which market but that type of price decline is very rare even in a downturn.

That's assuming this is a standard upturn, which it isn't. There hasn't been a foreclosure in almost 15 months. Do you know what that does to the supply?

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2021, 01:21:36 PM »
it won’t matter if there is more supply the value/ buying power of the dollar will be much less. So Prices would have to come down dramatically to be cheaper then today’s prices.

Again, supply and demand. The supply is going to skyrocket within the next 6-24 months (barring very, very significant government interference).

Offline moko

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2021, 01:22:50 PM »
This is the issue for many. Where you going to buy where it isn't inflated?
not to that extent.

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2021, 01:22:57 PM »
I overheard the owner of a takeout saying that everything shot up in price, from food to plastic containers.

Offline yos9694

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2021, 02:05:45 PM »
Explain tuition.... schools just landed billions in PPP, plus more billions from food packages/bread lines, plus billions in grants for plexiglass and hand sanitizers. They'll never admit they don't need my money anymore, but why would tuition increase?

Offline Ver hut gazugt

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2021, 02:09:36 PM »
Explain tuition.... schools just landed billions in PPP, plus more billions from food packages/bread lines, plus billions in grants for plexiglass and hand sanitizers. They'll never admit they don't need my money anymore, but why would tuition increase?
I think you are overstating how much they got. At most they got 2 and half months worth of salary and if they fudged a little they got 4 months. Not familiar enough with the other programs built I doubt they got as much as you think.

Offline CountValentine

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2021, 02:35:42 PM »
Is this the time to say "Cash will be King"?
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2021, 02:50:17 PM »
How many donations dried up? How many people are paying less or no tuition? Etc
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline PlatinumGuy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2021, 02:56:44 PM »

Most of the tuition money goes to salaries. Are we aware of wages going up?

The next largest chunk goes to real estate. That can explain it in some locations.
That's assuming this is a standard upturn, which it isn't. There hasn't been a foreclosure in almost 15 months. Do you know what that does to the supply?
IINM the total sum of house sales these days is very high.

Part of the drive is people out of income cashing out.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2021, 03:01:31 PM »
Are you referring to 1 school or multiple ? Do they increase every year or suddenly now out of the blue ?