Author Topic: LIFE INSURANCE  (Read 140254 times)

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
Re: LIFE INSURANCE
« Reply #1080 on: June 21, 2024, 01:25:10 PM »
Have not seen this. Off the cuff reactions:

1. If we're all soviets, then the information is unreliable
2. For the sake of argument, let's stipulate that the data is reliable. Still seeing mortality improvement trend here, looks like the story is more on the side of russia catching up than US losing its footing
3. Average mortality can be a funny thing when the difference in lifespan between rich and poor is a decade or more. Seeming slowdowns in overall average mortality improvement can be attributed directly to socioeconomic changes- as we start to look more like an oligarchy and cultivate modern aristocracy there come to be fewer people who are in the rich long-life bucket relative to the number who fall in into the poor-reduced life bucket
4. Mortality improvement historically came from improved disease treatment (management of heart disease, cancer, adult diabetes, etc) and after a society has accomplished disease management there is no further improvement. Other societies may follow the same path on a later timeline

Not asking about the entire chart, just the last decade for this specific age group. The absolute numbers seem to be lower on the Russian side. What are the shorteners of LE for this specific age group?
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline biobook

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: June 21, 2024, 02:07:23 PM »
Not asking about the entire chart, just the last decade for this specific age group. The absolute numbers seem to be lower on the Russian side. What are the shorteners of LE for this specific age group?
Nobody could interpret a graph without its legend and without a reference, which was not provided.

I don't know anything about this topic, but don't the lower mortality numbers imply a longer life expectancy for this age group?

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
« Reply #1082 on: June 21, 2024, 02:11:53 PM »

I don't know anything about this topic, but don't the lower mortality numbers imply a longer life expectancy for this age group?

Correct. My question is what are the key causes that make the US fare worse than Russia for that age group in the last decade.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline biobook

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: June 21, 2024, 02:35:14 PM »
Correct. My question is what are the key causes that make the US fare worse than Russia for that age group in the last decade.
Oh, I see what you're saying - that the USA has a lower LE than Russia.  But it looks like the US rate is steady, and it's the Russian rate that seems to have gotten better. 

I would think that 40-69 is a large age range to focus on, since it includes both middle aged and "elderly" (ie, over 60 or 65).  Let's say that in Russia there was a higher death rate among the elderly (due to the effects of heart disease, smoking, covid, violence, whatever), then the 40-69 group would consist of an increasing proportion of younger people (under 60) and would therefore appear to have a higher life expectancy.  Does that make any sense?