Author Topic: LIFE INSURANCE  (Read 119612 times)

Offline ckmk47

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Re: LIFE INSURANCE
« Reply #320 on: July 08, 2021, 01:37:39 PM »
I did use their calculation. If the monthly premium rate stays the same , their monthly premium rate will be significantly lower  when I turn 50 in 5 years . I guess it is cheaper then my rate plan  cos they require health exam or doctor’s report? And if the report they want to see every few years is not good then can drop you or increase the premium?Otherwise why monthly premium rate will be same for the next 30 years if it is a 30 years term.
In a 30 year term they add up all the premiums a person would pay over 30  years as he ages.  Then divide it by 30 years to know the annual payment.
So it may have higher monthly payments to start, but will not change for the duration.
The advantage, is that young healthy people have the lowest premiums.

If you need more insurance as life goes on, ADD another policy to top off the one you already have.
My favorite cause: cssy.org

Offline ushdadude

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: July 08, 2021, 01:39:09 PM »
Ask yourself if you're adequately protected:

i've seen similar. but would basing coverage on monthly expenses make more sense?

Offline yos9694

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: July 08, 2021, 01:51:58 PM »
I did use their calculation. If the monthly premium rate stays the same , their monthly premium rate will be significantly lower  when I turn 50 in 5 years . I guess it is cheaper then my rate plan  cos they require health exam or doctor’s report? And if the report they want to see every few years is not good then can drop you or increase the premium?Otherwise why monthly premium rate will be same for the next 30 years if it is a 30 years term. Just curious and wondering before I decide to call the agent that is on term4sale website.

They only get a "report" when you buy it, not in any subsequent years. You're getting quotes for Guaranteed Level Premium Term, and the name can be taken quite literally. During the term period you choose (e.g. 30 years) the premium you need to pay will not change. There's no tricks, and I'm not sure how to make it any clearer to you.

Offline Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #323 on: July 08, 2021, 02:13:50 PM »
i've seen similar. but would basing coverage on monthly expenses make more sense?

Yup, and this cuts both ways. If you're earning significantly more than you need for expenses, you won't need this amount of insurance, and according to this if one spouse has a low income due to staying home to take care of children/the home they will be underinsured if G-d forbid they pass away and the other spouse now has to reduce their income to work less and/or hire people to do much of that work.

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #324 on: July 08, 2021, 02:14:19 PM »

Why so?

Do you stop working once you've earned enough to cover your expenses? Or do you give away all the excess income? Does anyone know what future expenses might be?
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline ushdadude

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: July 08, 2021, 02:44:09 PM »
Why so?

Do you stop working once you've earned enough to cover your expenses? Or do you give away all the excess income? Does anyone know what future expenses might be?
i guess the thinking is, why pay for more insurance than you actually need?but i guess term is cheap enough that over estimating is not as big a deal.

Offline Lurker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #326 on: July 08, 2021, 02:50:45 PM »
Why so?

I think it's more applicable when you're not currently making enough to cover your expenses or when you currently have some expenses subsidized (Medicaid, scholarships, etc.).
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline ckmk47

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: July 08, 2021, 03:03:28 PM »
Why so?

If someone makes $1 million a year, but spends $100,000 on  his lifestyle.
Insure him to replace $100,00 not $1M.
My favorite cause: cssy.org

Offline Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #328 on: July 08, 2021, 03:06:12 PM »
Why so?

Firstly, this only discusses over insuring, not under insuring, which I'm surprised you wouldn't jump on. Secondly, insurance is not vital to cover extra. If anything, that extra could be put to use to create your own "insurance".

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: July 08, 2021, 03:10:16 PM »
Non-smoker monthly rates   Age    $50,000    $100,000    $150,000
18-29    $4.50    $9.00    $13.50
30-34    $4.70    $9.40    $14.10
35-39    $5.60    $11.20    $16.80
40-44    $7.80    $15.60    $23.40
45-49    $12.10    $24.20    $36.30
50-54    $18.60    $37.20    $55.80
55-59    $30.40    $60.80    $91.20
60-64    $48.80    $97.60    $146.40
65-69*    $77.10    $154.20    $231.30

@peace123

Keep in mind this is their current banded pricing, and the then-current premium chart is likely to increase compared to what they're charging now. So e.g. when you're 65 they might charge $400/month to ensure you through age 69 even though the currently published premium is $231.30/month.

If you get a 30-year term quote from term4life then that quote is for a level-premium policy, meaning the premium doesn't go up for the entire term.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #330 on: July 08, 2021, 03:53:16 PM »

I guess you don't make $1,000,000 in earned income.
-- Dan

Offline Lurker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #331 on: July 08, 2021, 04:11:48 PM »
I guess you don't make $1,000,000 in earned income.

To be fair, the conversation is focused on term. I think you'd agree that buying a term policy to replace $1MM in income wouldn't be the smartest play, as that money would be better going towards a WL policy or other saving/investment plans.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline yos9694

• View Profile
« Reply #332 on: July 08, 2021, 04:17:20 PM »

I'd tell that person good job on managing Olam Hazeh, and to plan to self-insure (might take 3-4 years at that rate).

Online aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #333 on: July 08, 2021, 04:26:01 PM »
I did use their calculation. If the monthly premium rate stays the same , their monthly premium rate will be significantly lower  when I turn 50 in 5 years . I guess it is cheaper then my rate plan  cos they require health exam or doctor’s report? And if the report they want to see every few years is not good then can drop you or increase the premium?Otherwise why monthly premium rate will be same for the next 30 years if it is a 30 years term. Just curious and wondering before I decide to call the agent that is on term4sale website.
As an aside, you have people who are insurance brokers right here on this site answering a bunch of your questions for you. Maybe you should consider giving them the business or at the very least giving them a chance at it.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline ah giten

• View Profile
« Reply #334 on: July 08, 2021, 04:26:41 PM »
My agent told me recently that prices of WL policys are going to increase by 15-25% in the near future.

True?
Is that another side effect of Covid? If so why only WL?

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #335 on: July 08, 2021, 04:31:56 PM »
My agent told me recently that prices of WL policys are going to increase by 15-25% in the near future.

True?

It's due to changes to section 7702. Companies can no longer use 4% as the guaranteed rate in calculating reserves. They have to use lower rates (and for the first time they get to choose which rate they will use for each product, which might result in offerings being a lot more varied between companies), which will obviously require higher premiums to fund the required reserves.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2021, 04:53:16 PM by ExGingi »
-- Dan

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #336 on: July 08, 2021, 04:37:31 PM »
I'd tell that person good job on managing Olam Hazeh, and to plan to self-insure (might take 3-4 years at that rate).

I never thought I'd get to use the same hashtag within the hour on totally different threads on DDF.

#Academics_vs_Real_World
-- Dan

Offline yos9694

• View Profile
« Reply #337 on: July 08, 2021, 04:56:59 PM »

True?

They'll all go up by January, but not all by that much. There are different flavors of WL too, and the ones that are more investment focused will go up by more than the ones that are lowest cost focused. In general, the WL that has you paying premium for lifetime will not go up in cost by as much as the WL that is designed to be fully paid up sooner.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #338 on: July 08, 2021, 05:00:18 PM »
They'll all go up by January, but not all by that much. There are different flavors of WL too, and the ones that are more investment focused will go up by more than the ones that are lowest cost focused. In general, the WL that has you paying premium for lifetime will not go up in cost by as much as the WL that is designed to be fully paid up sooner.

Will it make UL (for cash value accumulation) more lucrative? Allowing greater non-MEC premiums, while not having the guarantees of WL?
-- Dan

Offline Yosel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: July 08, 2021, 05:06:33 PM »
anywhere between 25% to 80% increase in annual premium, depends which company, and type of WL policy