Author Topic: LIFE INSURANCE  (Read 116478 times)

Offline Yehuda57

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
Re: LIFE INSURANCE
« Reply #120 on: April 27, 2021, 12:13:23 PM »
The convectional wisdom is...

...blowing smoke...

Offline CountValentine

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #121 on: April 27, 2021, 12:16:48 PM »
That's probably a 1099 on the interest generated by the dividends, not the dividends themselves. What rate are they paying that it's worth letting the dividends sit with them?
Yes it is on the interest. 5.5% but I have many different policies  (kids insured).
I no longer need insurance. So on my main policy the premiums are paid from cash value/dividends. Insured and cash value goes up each year. Does it get any better?  :)
I did talk to a member here about it and he suggested to just leave that policy as it is.
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline Lurker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #122 on: April 27, 2021, 12:18:12 PM »
What turns these young people off is the snake oil insurance salesmen pushing WL and other funds which is not explained properly or in the customers best interest.

IMHO, rhetoric like this does just as much damage. It erodes trust in the establishment as a whole. As always, nuance is important.

You have a valid point in that it is in the best interest of our communities for salesmen to start focusing on getting someone insured with term before even thinking about pushing other products. Hopefully agents who use this approach will gain the trust of the community and people will use them for other products, as well.

We also have to stop turning every call for people to get term into a full-blown investment strategy debate. Get life insurance. Full stop. People needing to speak to a financial advisor is a different conversation.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Online ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #123 on: April 27, 2021, 12:21:48 PM »
On my Metlife yes I did, because dividends are left to accumulate with interest. They do not buy paid up insurance. Am I understanding that right?

Yes. So why not switch the dividend option to buying Paid-Up Insurance and avoid the 1099?
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #124 on: April 27, 2021, 12:23:47 PM »
Additionally @ExGingi what about Roth for avoiding tax ? And you can borrow agains it as well. Injecting money market accounts in the discussion is deflecting from the options mentioned here.

In which universe can you borrow against a ROTH IRA?

A ROTH 401k might allow limited borrowing against the value of the account. I don't know many people that have them.
-- Dan

Online JMHO

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 27, 2021, 12:24:35 PM »
IMHO, rhetoric like this does just as much damage. It erodes trust in the establishment as a whole. As always, nuance is important.

You have a valid point in that it is in the best interest of our communities for salesmen to start focusing on getting someone insured with term before even thinking about pushing other products. Hopefully agents who use this approach will gain the trust of the community and people will use them for other products, as well.

We also have to stop turning every call for people to get term into a full-blown investment strategy debate. Get life insurance. Full stop. People needing to speak to a financial advisor is a different conversation.
Agree 1000%

Get everyone 21 y/o who gets married a term plan. Then all the brokers and financial planners can push their businesses after.

We can't turn our young people off by overcomplicating the need and availability of basic term.

Offline whacked1

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 27, 2021, 12:26:58 PM »

Get everyone 21 y/0 who gets married a term plan. Then all the brokers and financial planners can push their businesses after.

Why wouldn't criteria be children?

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 27, 2021, 12:27:05 PM »
Agree 1000%

Get everyone 21 y/0 who gets married a term plan. Then all the brokers and financial planners can push their businesses after.

We can't turn out young people off by overcomplicating the need and availability of basic term.

And can't get those 20 something y/o go to sleep at the wheel by having them buy a long-term term plan. Let it be a 10 year term, so they know this is something they need to review again before it gets more complicated.
-- Dan

Offline skyguy918

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 27, 2021, 12:27:14 PM »

A ROTH 401k might allow limited borrowing against the value of the account. I don't know many people that have them.
I have both. You don't need to borrow against the Roth IRA - you can withdraw contributions. And while Roth 401k has the complication that any withdrawal is considered to be part contribution and part gain (based on the proportion of the account total), it does have the ability to borrow in plan/account.

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 27, 2021, 12:27:33 PM »
Yes. So why not switch the dividend option to buying Paid-Up Insurance and avoid the 1099?
I like cash and don't need the insurance. Other option would be to cash out the policy but I don't need the cash now either.

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 27, 2021, 12:28:58 PM »
I have both. You don't need to borrow against the Roth IRA - you can withdraw contributions. And while Roth 401k has the complication that any withdrawal is considered to be part contribution and part gain (based on the proportion of the account total), it does have the ability to borrow in plan/account.

Once you withdraw contributions, you can't put them back in (except in rare situations like we had with the special provisions passed in 2020 due to COVID-19).
-- Dan

Offline Lurker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #131 on: April 27, 2021, 12:29:54 PM »
And can't get those 20 something y/o go to sleep at the wheel by having them buy a long-term term plan. Let it be a 10 year term, so they know this is something they need to review again before it gets more complicated.

In your opinion, at what age do things start to get more complicated in terms of getting LI?
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 27, 2021, 12:30:41 PM »
I like cash and don't need the insurance. Other option would be to cash out the policy but I don't need the cash now either.

How is Paid-Up Insurance any less "cash". It's fully liquid, you just avoid the 1099 (for newly paid dividends, whatever dividends are already there on deposit will generate a 1099).
-- Dan

Offline Abey

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 27, 2021, 12:32:12 PM »

Your right I once heard of something like that but I guess it was for 401K not Roth. You haven’t answered to my other points though…
I’m my view all these benefits are great but not worth it when giving up higher gains elsewhere.

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 27, 2021, 12:33:05 PM »
How is Paid-Up Insurance any less "cash". It's fully liquid, you just avoid the 1099 (for newly paid dividends, whatever dividends are already there on deposit will generate a 1099).
True but cash value of the paid up earned was less than the interest earned. Will have to revisit it to see if that still holds true.

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #135 on: April 27, 2021, 12:34:00 PM »
In your opinion, at what age do things start to get more complicated in terms of getting LI?

It's impossible to know. Some people experience something at age 70, some at 50, some at 40, some at 30 and some at 3. If one isn't ready or able to purchase some permanent insurance with a rider that will guarantee the ability to increase it in the future, I don't think they should be buying a long-term term plan that is likely to expire at the time when the insurance is most needed (and risk of having insurability change is greater, along with higher rates just due to age).

The point is that one's financial (and insurance) situation needs periodic review.
-- Dan

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 27, 2021, 12:37:28 PM »
True but cash value of the paid up earned was less than the interest earned. Will have to revisit it to see if that still holds true.

That might be referring to the Guaranteed growth of the PUAs, those PUAs would also earn dividends. In any event your individual circumstances might be different. Also it is worth noting that MetLife demutualized in the 90s and stopped selling individual life insurance (at least under the MetLife brand) last decade. So their WL is mostly a closed block, and not their main focus.

It is possible that your old policy has some guaranteed interest rate that is paid for Dividends on Deposit making that an attractive alternative.
-- Dan

Offline gozalim

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 27, 2021, 12:38:10 PM »
It's impossible to know. Some people experience something at age 70, some at 50, some at 40, some at 30 and some at 3. If one isn't ready or able to purchase some permanent insurance with a rider that will guarantee the ability to increase it in the future, I don't think they should be buying a long-term term plan that is likely to expire at the time when the insurance is most needed (and risk of having insurability change is greater, along with higher rates just due to age).

The point is that one's financial (and insurance) situation needs periodic review.
I think the rider mentioned above is relatively common today

Offline gozalim

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 27, 2021, 12:41:46 PM »
@mods can you merge with proper thread?
No. This is not a discussion. This is a PSA to bring new awareness
leave the WL discussion in its proper thread

Offline skyguy918

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 27, 2021, 12:42:11 PM »
That might be referring to the Guaranteed growth of the PUAs, those PUAs would also earn dividends. In any event your individual circumstances might be different. Also it is worth noting that MetLife demutualized in the 90s and stopped selling individual life insurance (at least under the MetLife brand) last decade. So their WL is mostly a closed block, and not their main focus.

It is possible that your old policy has some guaranteed interest rate that is paid for Dividends on Deposit making that an attractive alternative.
High guaranteed interest for dividends on deposit? That seems very unlikely. 5.5% is very unlikely. I'm assuming there's some confusion here between dividend interest rate and dividends on deposit.