Author Topic: LIFE INSURANCE  (Read 119498 times)

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
Re: LIFE INSURANCE
« Reply #820 on: March 22, 2023, 04:29:14 PM »
First, you already mentioned it. But adverse selection probably isn't as big a deal as some think it is for modest rate changes. Life insurance switching costs can be insanely high, I find it hard to believe that someone would give up a 10 year old UL policy because COIs increased 5%.

UL isn't YRT!

A COI change to a UL product (we have seen those, especially in the wake of STOLI) very often isn't immediately felt by a UL policyowner, as the premiums paid aren't directly tied to COI (should I say except in the case of IOLI?)
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline yos9694

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: March 22, 2023, 04:31:47 PM »
UL isn't YRT!

A COI change to a UL product (we have seen those, especially in the wake of STOLI) very often isn't immediately felt by a UL policyowner, as the premiums paid aren't directly tied to COI (should I say except in the case of IOLI?)

Both are indeterminate!

Address my comment about switching costs. Feel free to swap in a 10 year old YRT instead of UL

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
« Reply #822 on: March 22, 2023, 04:33:41 PM »
Mortality just isn't that volatile. But if you want to talk interest rates.... they survived declining and low interest rates, but can they survive rising rates?

If they use good strategies, such as offering Guaranteed Issue of new Whole Life to people who were underwritten within the last 4 years. Thereby bringing in additional Whole Life premiums to be invested at current higher rates, while diversifying mortality risk by creating proper guidelines for the program.
-- Dan

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #823 on: March 22, 2023, 04:36:26 PM »
Both are indeterminate!

Address my comment about switching costs. Feel free to swap in a 10 year old YRT instead of UL

I am not disagreeing with anything you said, I just commented that an increase of UL COI (or other costs) is more common than increases of YRT rates. Part of that might be that the COI increase in the UL isn't immediately felt by the policyowner (and if the policy was structured for accumulation, might not even change much as far as the premium outlay is concerned).
-- Dan

Offline yos9694

• View Profile
« Reply #824 on: March 22, 2023, 05:35:57 PM »
I am not disagreeing with anything you said, I just commented that an increase of UL COI (or other costs) is more common than increases of YRT rates. Part of that might be that the COI increase in the UL isn't immediately felt by the policyowner (and if the policy was structured for accumulation, might not even change much as far as the premium outlay is concerned).

You're completely correct. I'll add that lawsuits and judgments against the insurance company are (equally) common

Offline ckmk47

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #825 on: March 22, 2023, 09:56:16 PM »
Would love to hear from people what they think for what I currently was offered.

Am I taking a unnecessary risk that I'm not locked in to a set price.
 Is there better options that I should look into?
 I see something about waiver of premium charge, is that something I'm forced to pay? is it something I should be paying for?
thanks!!
So what I understand from the discussion between ExGingi & yos9694:
If you're planning on keeping term insurance for the long haul, get level term.  It will be more expensive initially, but will be cheaper down the line.
But term life insurance is not the better way to go.  Get something long term.  But I didn't understand what they recommend.
My favorite cause: cssy.org

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #826 on: March 22, 2023, 10:19:57 PM »
So what I understand from the discussion between ExGingi & yos9694:
If you're planning on keeping term insurance for the long haul, get level term.  It will be more expensive initially, but will be cheaper down the line.
But term life insurance is not the better way to go.  Get something long term.  But I didn't understand what they recommend.

No one will get a recommendation from me here.

I might express opinions, but a recommendation can only come after proper face-to-face fact finding and fully understanding the situation. Beware of anyone handing out recommendation for an individual situation (we are all individuals) without a proper attempt to understand the situation.

As for the first part regarding term insurance, as the name implies it is a limited time solution. If the need for protection has a known end date, it is ideal.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2023, 10:23:06 PM by ExGingi »
-- Dan

Offline ckmk47

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: March 22, 2023, 10:55:21 PM »
No one will get a recommendation from me here.

I might express opinions, but a recommendation can only come after proper face-to-face fact finding and fully understanding the situation. Beware of anyone handing out recommendation for an individual situation (we are all individuals) without a proper attempt to understand the situation.

As for the first part regarding term insurance, as the name implies it is a limited time solution. If the need for protection has a known end date, it is ideal.
I misspoke in using the word 'recommendation'.
What type of insurance should he look into?
My favorite cause: cssy.org

Offline Josef.koney

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: March 22, 2023, 11:46:32 PM »
This has all been very helpful.
Here's what I got out of it.
- Personally , I wouldn't /shouldn't worry about the potential increase.
- biggest setback would be the prices long term.
- whole life (or gaining capital) would be the solution so u don't need the premiums

Q.
Since I already applied and got my acceptance info, would I have to go through the whole process again to just get a normal convertible term?

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #829 on: March 22, 2023, 11:52:11 PM »
This has all been very helpful.
Here's what I got out of it.
- Personally , I wouldn't /shouldn't worry about the potential increase.
- biggest setback would be the prices long term.
- whole life (or gaining capital) would be the solution so u don't need the premiums

Q.
Since I already applied and got my acceptance info, would I have to go through the whole process again to just get a normal convertible term?

My biggest issue with your questions is that you seem to be trusting a (semi) anonymous forum more than the agent you are working with. You need to work with someone you can trust, without feeling the need for confirmation/advice on DDF.
-- Dan

Offline Josef.koney

• View Profile
« Reply #830 on: March 23, 2023, 12:36:48 PM »
My biggest issue with your questions is that you seem to be trusting a (semi) anonymous forum more than the agent you are working with. You need to work with someone you can trust, without feeling the need for confirmation/advice on DDF.
I was told I can trust him, but he didn't go through everything said over here.
I'm not deciding against his advice, I'm doing my diligence before giving him another call.
I have some trust issues. I feel like everyone is doing what's best for them (unless they won't get anything out of it...) So asking over here, I feel like id get the most honest answers.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #831 on: March 23, 2023, 12:46:43 PM »
I was told I can trust him, but he didn't go through everything said over here.

If he would, in most cases it would be in vain, as we have gone very technical here. It's almost a sure way to lose a sale and a customer. He's probably giving you a high level answer.

If you want more detail, ask him, but it wouldn't benefit you if you go too deep into the details, you'll be stuck in paralysis of analysis. Doint something that is 80% good, is preferable to not doing something that is 99% good. You've got 3rd party confirmation that the scheduled vs. guaranteed rates on a YRT are not a reason for concern.

Now your question might be if you want a YRT or a level-term product. Ask him to show you both and to outline the advantages and disadvantages of each.

One thing I personally like about YRT is that the premium increases serve as a reminder for the policyholder that it's time to review coverage.
-- Dan

Offline Josef.koney

• View Profile
« Reply #832 on: March 23, 2023, 01:24:40 PM »
If he would, in most cases it would be in vain, as we have gone very technical here. It's almost a sure way to lose a sale and a customer. He's probably giving you a high level answer.

If you want more detail, ask him, but it wouldn't benefit you if you go too deep into the details, you'll be stuck in paralysis of analysis. Doint something that is 80% good, is preferable to not doing something that is 99% good. You've got 3rd party confirmation that the scheduled vs. guaranteed rates on a YRT are not a reason for concern.

Now your question might be if you want a YRT or a level-term product. Ask him to show you both and to outline the advantages and disadvantages of each.

One thing I personally like about YRT is that the premium increases serve as a reminder for the policyholder that it's time to review coverage.
Ok thanks for your help.

Offline gubevo18

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: March 23, 2023, 01:27:28 PM »
Long story short - friend moved states. Policy was not on autopay and all mail notifying about payments when to old address. For some strange reason USPS did not forward the email and the provider never sent any email or other communication. Turns out the policy lapsed a month ago. Is there a way to get the policy reinstated without going through the whole medical process/questionnaire again? This is with prudential

Offline Yosel

• View Profile
« Reply #834 on: March 23, 2023, 01:55:20 PM »
First, you already mentioned it. But adverse selection probably isn't as big a deal as some think it is for modest rate changes. Life insurance switching costs can be insanely high, I find it hard to believe that someone would give up a 10 year old UL policy because COIs increased 5%.

Offline Yosel

• View Profile
« Reply #835 on: March 23, 2023, 01:59:55 PM »
Long story short - friend moved states. Policy was not on autopay and all mail notifying about payments when to old address. For some strange reason USPS did not forward the email and the provider never sent any email or other communication. Turns out the policy lapsed a month ago. Is there a way to get the policy reinstated without going through the whole medical process/questionnaire again? This is with prudential
should not be an issue if its only 1 month

Offline gubevo18

• View Profile
« Reply #836 on: March 24, 2023, 01:45:00 AM »
should not be an issue if its only 1 month
payment was due in Dec. Only received notice now for the first time

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #837 on: March 24, 2023, 08:29:16 AM »

BTW, these kinds of lapses are much more common with term insurance, as there's nothing to support it if a premium is skipped. A policy that has cash value generally doesn't lapse so fast, as the existing cash value can often support the policy if payments are missed.
-- Dan

Offline yos9694

• View Profile
« Reply #838 on: March 24, 2023, 09:28:15 AM »

I appreciate your articulate and instructive contribution to the discussion

Offline gubevo18

• View Profile
« Reply #839 on: March 24, 2023, 10:48:24 AM »
BTW, these kinds of lapses are much more common with term insurance, as there's nothing to support it if a premium is skipped. A policy that has cash value generally doesn't lapse so fast, as the existing cash value can often support the policy if payments are missed.
thanks for that info. That makes sense..

Do you have any experience getting it reinstated without a medical?