Author Topic: Amex Platinum ICC (International Currency Card)  (Read 3223 times)

Offline moe8555

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum
Amex Platinum ICC (International Currency Card)
« on: April 28, 2021, 10:26:16 AM »
Has anyone here ever had or familiar with the Amex Platinum ICC card?  It's not for U.S. residents (citizenship is okay though), but it actually has some pretty great features compared to the U.S. Plat for the same $550.  Free Plat AU, pretty incredible insurances and coverages (even includes $1 million 3rd party liability on rentals not just CDW!), an extra status or two, and an IAP program that isn't limited to only North America gateways.

Offline El Capitan

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Haha I wish!
Re: Amex Platinum ICC (International Currency Card)
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2021, 12:27:16 PM »
Any value to be had in the exotic transfer partners? Also earnings on spending def not as good. And where does it say about liability on rentals?
And what does ICC practically mean? Better exchange rates?
Still looking for a good MS method :)

Offline moe8555

• View Profile
  • Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2021, 01:06:41 PM »
Any value to be had in the exotic transfer partners? Also earnings on spending def not as good. And where does it say about liability on rentals?
And what does ICC practically mean? Better exchange rates?

Earnings is a flat 1X across the board, although they do offer bonuses every so often.  There's a 2X on all spend bonus going on now until July 1 (it isn't advertised on the site...).

No real sweet spots with the partners as far as I can tell. Some are 1:1, others 3:2.  There's the Jumeirah hotel program, but I don't know anything about it or if the transfer ratio is lucrative.  What's interesting is that many of the partners let you transfer in amounts under 1K points, some even as low as 100 (Alitalia, for example), which is great for topping off.

The thing is, you can consolidate and transfer points earned on this card to your U.S. MR account 1:1, so the poor ratios don't really matter I guess.

The insurance is all on the site with a very nice and easy to read PDF.  Some key coverages:

- Flight delays and missed connections triggers after only 4 hours!
-Rental cars are up to $75K CDW on your car and $1 million liability (i.e. 3rd party/the other car and people in an accident).  No countries excluded, valid worldwide.
-Delayed luggage also kicks in after only 4 hours
-Coverage for lost money and travel documents including money you gave to your kids to hold (this seems too good to be true honestly!)
-Legal protection coverage and legal pursuit coverage (i.e. if someone sues you or you sue them!)
-Various medical/health and emergency coverages including things like flying a friend abroad to visit you in a foreign hospital

ICC basically means it's a card for non-US/non-EU people that want a USD or EUR card. It has a 3% FX fee on other currencies, so no special FX benefits.

It's also a true chip+pin card and can save the day in Europe.

Offline justmeha

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2021, 03:11:56 PM »
It's not for U.S. residents (citizenship is okay though)
so you just need an address outside of the u.s.?

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2021, 03:15:38 PM »
so you just need an address outside of the u.s.?

Sounds like it's for US residents. OP is trying to say that includes citizens, not just "resident aliens".
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline moe8555

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2021, 03:17:06 PM »
Sounds like it's for US residents. OP is trying to say that includes citizens, not just "resident aliens".

No, you have to certify that you do not live in the United States...

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2021, 03:19:16 PM »

Oh...

So where do they check your credit-worthiness? Or is it only for established Amex customers?
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline moe8555

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2021, 03:40:36 PM »
Oh...

So where do they check your credit-worthiness? Or is it only for established Amex customers?

Only for existing Amex customers with a card from any country (US card is okay) for at least 6 months.  I think having a U.S. or UK card makes things quicker though (the card is serviced by the Amex UK team oddly enough).

Offline moe8555

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2021, 03:42:17 PM »
Word on the street is that it's also easier to eventually get a Centurion if you take this route (still need higher than average spend, but the threshold is lower and there seems to be more flexibility and room for other considerations like longevity as a cardholder, etc.)

Here is a link to it, forgot before:
https://www.americanexpress.com/icc/cards/the-platinum-international-currency-card.html

All the key info is there including insurances.  The other two statuses are Melia Gold (free bfast and 4PM checkout!) and Radisson Gold.  Also entry to Eurostar train lounges FWIW (too bad no Amtrak lounge access   ;D)

Also there is another hotel perks program like FHR that it offers that isn't on the U.S. Plat - The Vacation Collection
https://www.americanexpress.com/icc/cards/benefits/travel/the-vacation-collection.html
« Last Edit: April 28, 2021, 03:50:28 PM by moe8555 »

Offline Joeymc

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2021, 06:29:17 PM »
If they're able to offer liability for rentals why don't any other cards offer that as a perk?
120 characters? Hmm, I wonder what I could write with 64 characters. Boy, it's gonna be hard to use up 15 characters. W-

Online PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2021, 06:51:40 PM »
If they're able to offer liability for rentals why don't any other cards offer that as a perk?
Possibly related to state insurance regulation for US residents
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline moe8555

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2021, 01:55:24 AM »

Good question, maybe just the competitive environment? If nobody makes the first move then no incentive for any of the players to be the first, I suppose.

Amazingly, it turns out all the coverages and insurances don't even require booking with the card, so you can still book with a better U.S. card and reap the benefits/earn.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2021, 02:27:58 AM by moe8555 »

Offline yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2021, 10:25:16 AM »
Very interesting. I believe the US Platinum cards also have access to EuroStar lounges.

I don't see any mention of a $200 travel credit, or Uber credits, etc.

Offline moe8555

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2021, 10:37:45 AM »
Very interesting. I believe the US Platinum cards also have access to EuroStar lounges.

I don't see any mention of a $200 travel credit, or Uber credits, etc.

According to the latest reports on FT, as of 2019 or so they only allow access to UK, French, and Belgium Plats and actually do check against some binder that lists the acceptable Plat versions.

Indeed, no Uber or Saks or airline credits.  But I think they were given a $100 Uber Eats credit during 2020.

Offline El Capitan

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Haha I wish!
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2021, 11:36:08 AM »
Possibly related to state insurance regulation for US residents
If I'm a US resident and citizen but use a foreign address to get the card and use the liability coverage on a rental in the us do ppl here think it will cover it?
Also, does a Canadian address work to get the card?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 11:39:15 AM by El Capitan »
Still looking for a good MS method :)

Offline justmeha

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2021, 11:46:38 AM »
If I'm a US resident and citizen but use a foreign address to get the card and use the liability coverage on a rental in the us do ppl here think it will cover it?
Also, does a Canadian address work to get the card?

Offline moe8555

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2021, 12:04:45 PM »
I ended up applying and getting approved.  The process was straightforward, but not "quick and simple" like a standard 60-second decision USA card application.  Here is a detailed step-by-step account of the process and timeline that I originally posted on FT for all interested:

I just wanted to share my very recent experience applying for a Platinum ICC (dollar) card (the one serviced out of the UK), as information about the process isn't as prevalent as it is for other cards and regions:

To preface and for context, I am a U.S. citizen and currently hold U.S. Amex cards (since 2003), but reside abroad in a non-excluded country (i.e. non-EU, non-Singapore, and obviously non-U.S.).

April 21: I submitted the online application and used one of my U.S. Amex cards as proof of eligibility (i.e. having an Amex card for at least six months prior to applying). I applied for a free Platinum supplementary card (as they deem Authorized Users) for my wife in the same application.
April 26: I received an automated e-mail stating that my application was being reviewed.
April 27: I received a personalized e-mail from a real person updating that the application was still in review, and they were awaiting information from Amex USA about my existing relationship.

April 28: The same representative sent another e-mail requesting a copy of my ID or passport (no certification required), my wife's ID/passport (certification required), and a copy of proof of address from a list of acceptable bills/documents, such as utility bill or municipal tax bill (no certification required). I was also asked to sign a form stating that I did not reside in the United States and was aware of the fact that the card was not on offer to U.S. residents (no certification required).

The certification isn't a difficult process and does not require a notary or apostille: there is a form with a list of acceptable professions that can sign off on the certification (e.g. lawyer, doctor, postal worker, civil service employee, accountant, etc.). My biggest issue was finding someone who was willing to listen and understand what was needed and not think I was trying to somehow defraud them or make them commit to a financial obligation (somewhat understandable since the form was in English and from Amex, not from a local entity/language). I sent the documents that didn't require certification the same day and asked to put my wife's card on hold in order to not delay the processs.

April 29: The same representative confirmed receipt of the documents, and that she would proceed with my card only to prevent processing delays. Since my proof of address was not in English, it would take around 72 hours to have it translated and confirmed (at their expense).

May 4: I managed to have my wife's ID certified and sent it to them asking that her card now also continue to move forward in the approval process.
May 5: E-mail received congratulating me on being approved (along with my wife's AU card), and that the card and PIN would arrive in 7-10 business days. I was told the Priority Pass could be requested only after receiving the card.

I contacted the call center a few times during the process with questions and to verify receipt of my e-mails (they don't have an auto-reply set up verifying receipt), and the representatives were always UK English speaking and extremely patient/polite. No hold time at all, ever. In fact, by chance I even spoke with the same representative that processed my application on one call, so I have high hopes that the service will be very intimate and personal.

I'm not sure why my documents and proof of address didn't require certification (perhaps due to the 18-year relationship with Amex USA). Also of note - I was not required to provide proof of employment/income or proof of the bank account I provided in the application, which, according to past reports here, seems to not always be the case with all applicants.

Hope this helps someone and provides a clearer picture of what to expect when applying for an Amex ICC card!

Offline moe8555

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2021, 03:22:16 AM »
All cards/welcome kit arrived a few days ago via tracked DHL.  Classy presentation.  Priority Pass was activated successfully for primary and AU and email to setup digital card/app received within a day with physical card to follow.  It's a "real" Priority Pass and not the Select version (no real significance nowadays, but back in the day, the full version offered access to United Clubs and Select didn't, in addition to some other random discounts and offers at airports and with IHG.  Could prove useful in the future if the two versions diverge in benefits again).

Also of note, the MR points post instantly when the charge finalizes like with Barclays or Cap1 cards, including the current 2X MR on all purchases bonus.  Can be useful to quickly top off and not have to wait for statement close/payment received like with the U.S. version.

Also, Melia Gold activated within a day (decent status that gives guaranteed 4PM check-out at their city hotels, free breakfast for second guest in room, and nice perks on your birthday like 3 20% vouchers that stack with other discounts, guaranteed one category upgrade, etc.). I may make use of this at an upcoming NYC stay (Melia Innside Nomad hotel on 27th St.) before the midnight AA flight back to Israel from JFK.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 03:25:49 AM by moe8555 »