Topic Wiki

In order to assist foreigners entering Israel the Israeli immigration authority has opened the email to assist with applications harigim-natbag@piba.gov.il

To locate missing relatives:

Ezer Metzion hotline: 036144660
They have reps on the ground at all of the hospitals.

Zaka form to locate missing relatives
 https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfDymRMlF7HeFilw0k1kk3mE1phFR1d4qAvSVWGmS_D5Ekaxw/viewform

Nahriya Hospital Emergency Hotline: 1255141
Nahriya Hospital: 049850505
(12 injured)

Ziv (Tzefat) hospital: 046828838
Ziv Emergency Hotline: 1255161
(41 patients, of which 14 in serious condition, and some already released)

Poriyah Hospital: 046652211
Poriyah Hospital Emergency Hotline: 1255162
(27 patients)

Rambam Hospital in Haifa (still receiving patients transferred from Ziv)

(7 patients, of which 4 in serious condition)

Hadassah Ein Kerem Hospital in Jerusiam

Police Meron HQ - 110

Missing people hotline *1201

"Due to the many people in the United States that are frantically trying to contact loved ones who were in Meron and have been unable to locate them, Misaskim has opened their command center to try and assist people." Please call 718-854-4548 ONLY if you are missing an immediate family member and need assistance.

Link to Zaka form to locate missing relatives
 https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfDymRMlF7HeFilw0k1kk3mE1phFR1d4qAvSVWGmS_D5Ekaxw/viewform

There is intermittent cell service reception around Meron. Many people are safe but stranded as roads are closed. 30 kids are in a police holding facility in search of family members.

𝐈𝐧 𝐥𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭 𝐨𝐟 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐭𝐫𝐚𝐠𝐞𝐝𝐲 𝐢𝐧 𝐌𝐢𝐫𝐨𝐧, 𝐄𝐌𝐀 𝐂𝐚𝐫𝐞 𝐢𝐬 𝐬𝐞𝐭𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐮𝐩 𝐢𝐧𝐝𝐢𝐯𝐢𝐝𝐮𝐚𝐥  𝐏𝐓𝐒𝐃 𝐞𝐦𝐞𝐫𝐠𝐞𝐧𝐜𝐲 𝐬𝐞𝐬𝐬𝐢𝐨𝐧𝐬 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐨𝐬𝐞 𝐚𝐟𝐟𝐞𝐜𝐭𝐞𝐝 𝐛𝐲 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐭𝐫𝐚𝐠𝐞𝐝𝐲!

Anyone who is emotionally affected by this tragedy can sign up for our service at EMA Care, and we can help you get through this trauma.
This service is entirely voluntary and therefore 𝐅𝐑𝐄𝐄. Sessions will be completely anonymous.

𝐀𝐧𝐨𝐧𝐲𝐦𝐨𝐮𝐬 𝐒𝐢𝐠𝐧 𝐮𝐩 𝐇𝐄𝐑𝐄 - https://lnkd.in/d9Bp8Jw
« Last edited by Yehudaa on April 30, 2021, 01:11:23 PM »

Author Topic: Tragedy In Meron!  (Read 89282 times)

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
Re: Tragedy In Meron!
« Reply #480 on: May 03, 2021, 11:04:47 AM »
I don't think it is within our human and limited capacity to comprehend this. To process this. Any attempt to gain clarity will fail. There is no answer in this world.

There is nothing to do but move on. Attempt to better ourselves, comfort ourselves and move on.
גזירה היא מלפני ואין לך רשות להרהר אחריה
And definitely this
Attempt to better ourselves

Offline CountValentine

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #481 on: May 03, 2021, 11:08:17 AM »
I've been trying to wrap my brain around these events for the past few days.
It is never easy in these tragic events.
I can answer you but don't know how to do it without being accused of trying to turn this into a religious discussion or offending ones religion.
In any tragic event in my lifetime knowing why/how it happened did not ease the pain.
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline Lurker

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #482 on: May 03, 2021, 11:09:30 AM »
The fact that Hashem is still so angry at us

I loved everything you wrote except this line. If a child cannot fully comprehend why parents make the decisions they make, who are we to think we can understand why Hashem does what He does? Ultimately, your last two lines are what we live with.

I don't think it is within our human and limited capacity to comprehend this. To process this. Any attempt to gain clarity will fail. There is no answer in this world.

There is nothing to do but move on. Attempt to better ourselves, comfort ourselves and move on.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline VacationLover

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: May 03, 2021, 11:11:57 AM »

I am generally not a very emotional person and tragic events do not usually affect me this way. Although this did not affect me personally, I am completely broken up about it.
I have cried more in the past few days than I have in the past several years.

Is it because it hits so close to home?  I've been to Meron multiple times. We've all been there. We all have family that have gone or go on Lag B'Omer.
Is it because there is no one to blame? There is no terrorist to pour our wrath at, no drunk driver to arrest and judge.
Is it the gruesome manner of death? The thought of mothers knowing that their young sons were literally crushed and/or suffocated to death is too much to bear.

Knowing that people I know and care about were minutes away from disaster. A friend was there with his young son.
A family member there with 2 friends. They asked him to join them at the Toldos Aaron fire, but he was tired and declined. They high fived each other and went their separate ways. Mere minutes later, both of his friends are gone.

The thought that each victim had surrounding people pressed up to them that heard or felt them take their last breath. That perhaps felt that they were the one that crushed someone to death. That heard the gasping last breaths of their brothers, perhaps people that they knew closely. How can one ever move on from that?

I've watched every video, read every report, and still have no answers. I am no closer to understanding how this could happen.

As someone who has worked on their emunah for the past few years, I thought it was strong. I was wrong.
I have so many questions. Why? Why would Hashem make this happen? After such a long and terrible year, people were finally gathering. For a good and holy reason! And to result in such a gruesome and horrible tragedy is unfathomable.
Why?? Every person that died looks like they were a special soul. How could this be?
I am scared. The fact that Hashem is still so angry at us, after the punishment that we as a nation, as a world, have received the past year, we are still deserving of a message of this magnitude terrifies me.

Check this out if you understand Yiddish
אינטערוויו:  "חִזְקוּ וְאִמְצוּ אַל תִּירְאוּ וְאַל תַּעַרְצוּ, כִּי ד' אֱלֹקיךָ הוּא הַהֹולֵךְ עִמָּךְ לֹא יַרְפְּךָ וְלֹא יַעַזְבֶךָּ", טרעפליכע דברי חיזוק לאור המצב "מה נאמר ומה נדבר", ווי אזוי א איד דארף טראכטן אין אזא צייט ווען געפילן בוזשעווען אן אויפהער https://www.yiddish24.com/interviews/12/38573

Offline pbf

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: May 03, 2021, 11:12:22 AM »
I loved everything you wrote except this line. If a child cannot fully comprehend why parents make the decisions they make, who are we to think we can understand why Hashem does what He does? Ultimately, your last two lines are what we live with.

Do you not think that a tragedy like this a warning? A sign of anger?
Isn't that what we are supposed to take from this?

I am asking genuinely because I would love to think otherwise.

Offline pbf

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: May 03, 2021, 11:13:34 AM »
Check this out if you understand Yiddish
אינטערוויו:  "חִזְקוּ וְאִמְצוּ אַל תִּירְאוּ וְאַל תַּעַרְצוּ, כִּי ד' אֱלֹקיךָ הוּא הַהֹולֵךְ עִמָּךְ לֹא יַרְפְּךָ וְלֹא יַעַזְבֶךָּ", טרעפליכע דברי חיזוק לאור המצב "מה נאמר ומה נדבר", ווי אזוי א איד דארף טראכטן אין אזא צייט ווען געפילן בוזשעווען אן אויפהער https://www.yiddish24.com/interviews/12/38573

I do not. Summarize?

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: May 03, 2021, 11:18:27 AM »
You joke, but one of the messages circulating about the video cameras signed off something to the effect "don't allow vaccine passports, they're going to use them to kill us".

Conspiracy theories are always buy one get one free, and each free one comes with another free one, ad infinitum...
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline Lurker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #487 on: May 03, 2021, 11:20:01 AM »

My personal belief is that one can (and should) use times like these to make a cheshbon hanefesh and as inspiration to improve ourselves, without trying to understand Hashem's "thoughts" or intentions. I look at things like this as a sign that things need to change in some way, on a personal level and for all of klal yisroel. To go down the rabbit hole, chasing human interpretations to why Hashem does things... for me, personally, that ends badly.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Online EliJelly

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: May 03, 2021, 11:20:07 AM »

Nobody knows what was the cause of this, sometimes the רבש׳׳ע is showing us tough love, and this time it was VERY tough, but we shouldn't question his דרכים and neither are we capable of understanding them. We should rather focus on how to improve ourselves so we should be worthy to see only חסדים טובים.

Reb Yisrol Dovid Schlezinger said this past shabbos that everyone wants to hear now a נבואה on what we collectively need to improve, as if each and every one of us don't know the areas we as individuals fail in avodas hashem and need improvement, לב יודע מרת נפשו.

Offline pbf

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: May 03, 2021, 11:20:24 AM »
It is never easy in these tragic events.
I can answer you but don't know how to do it without being accused of trying to turn this into a religious discussion or offending ones religion.
In any tragic event in my lifetime knowing why/how it happened did not ease the pain.

I appreciate that.

I agree, which is why the blame game does not help anyone. Of course the proper actions should be taken to avoid this, but htat is a question and discussion for people who can actually do something, not us over here. There is no gain.

Offline flyingace

• View Profile
« Reply #490 on: May 03, 2021, 11:24:52 AM »
Nobody knows what was the cause of this, sometimes the רבש׳׳ע is showing us tough love, and this time it was VERY tough, but we shouldn't question his דרכים and neither are we capable of understanding them. We should rather focus on how to improve ourselves so we should be worthy to see only חסדים טובים.

Reb Yisrol Dovid Schlezinger said this past shabbos that everyone wants to hear now a נבואה on what we collectively need to improve, as if each and every one of us don't know the areas we as individuals fail in avodas hashem and need improvement, לב יודע מרת נפשו.

One of the maspidim at Yossi Kohn ZTZ"l's levaya did specifically mention Shemiras Halashon. I believe it was Rav Shimon Galai.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: May 03, 2021, 11:25:32 AM »
As someone who has worked on their emunah for the past few years, I thought it was strong. I was wrong.
I have so many questions. Why? Why would Hashem make this happen? After such a long and terrible year, people were finally gathering. For a good and holy reason! And to result in such a gruesome and horrible tragedy is unfathomable.

The fact that you have all these unanswerable questions yet continue to believe is a testament to the strength of your emunah. Emunah by definition precludes rationale, if you could explain everything there would be no necessity for faith. Be strong, embrace your emunah, and let it carry you through a place where there are no answers.

Offline pbf

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: May 03, 2021, 11:26:01 AM »
My personal belief is that one can (and should) use times like these to make a cheshbon hanefesh and as inspiration to improve ourselves, without trying to understand Hashem's "thoughts" or intentions. I look at things like this as a sign that things need to change in some way, on a personal level and for all of klal yisroel. To go down the rabbit hole, chasing human interpretations to why Hashem does things... for me, personally, that ends badly.

I hear...

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #493 on: May 03, 2021, 11:26:40 AM »
I appreciate that.

I agree, which is why the blame game does not help anyone. Of course the proper actions should be taken to avoid this, but htat is a question and discussion for people who can actually do something, not us over here. There is no gain.
Sort of. In trying to understand the physical shortcomings that led this to happen the blame will inevitably fall on someone or more.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Online EliJelly

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: May 03, 2021, 11:27:47 AM »
One of the maspidim at Yossi Kohn ZTZ"l's levaya did specifically mention Shemiras Halashon. I believe it was Rav Shimon Galai.
Of course each and every Rov will mention areas he thinks it needs to be addressed, we've heard already so many and they're probably all true.

Offline pbf

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #495 on: May 03, 2021, 11:29:48 AM »
The fact that you have all these unanswerable questions yet continue to believe is a testament to the strength of your emunah. Emunah by definition precludes rationale, if you could explain everything there would be no necessity for faith. Be strong, embrace your emunah, and let it carry you through a place where there are no answers.

I appreciate that, it actually is comforting

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: May 03, 2021, 11:30:06 AM »
I appreciate that.

There are many aspects to the takeaways from what happened, and they each stand on their own. For example:

There can possibly be things that can be done in the natural world to mitigate such risks R”L in the future. There are spiritual lessons to be had. There are survivors to support emotionally, financially, and otherwise. There is unity to bottle up so we can tap into it in the future when the shared-tragedy isn’t weighing down upon us.

These (and other things) are all things to be done because we have to take responsibility for what we can do, even if it won’t answer any of the questions we have about how/why this calamity occurred.

Offline flyingace

• View Profile
« Reply #497 on: May 03, 2021, 11:35:23 AM »
There are many aspects to the takeaways from what happened, and they each stand on their own. For example:

There can possibly be things that can be done in the natural world to mitigate such risks R”L in the future. There are spiritual lessons to be had. There are survivors to support emotionally, financially, and otherwise. There is unity to bottle up so we can tap into it in the future when the shared-tragedy isn’t weighing down upon us.

These (and other things) are all things to be done because we have to take responsibility for what we can do, even if it won’t answer any of the questions we have about how/why this calamity occurred.
There are many who will take the natural world corrections as proof that those things caused the tragedy. It is very difficult to maintain that divide between Emuna and Hishtadlus in such cases.

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #498 on: May 03, 2021, 11:36:00 AM »
There are many who will take the natural world corrections as proof that those things caused the tragedy. It is very difficult to maintain that divide between Emuna and Hishtadlus in such cases.
As it is with everything else in life.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Online Abebee

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 735
    • View Profile
  • Programs: National EE
« Reply #499 on: May 03, 2021, 11:41:26 AM »

I am generally not a very emotional person and tragic events do not usually affect me this way. Although this did not affect me personally, I am completely broken up about it.
I have cried more in the past few days than I have in the past several years.

One explanation I heard of why it hit so many of us so hard is because it could have been anyone. It wasn't a wild group of youngsters doing something malicious. It was a group of Yidden walking away from the Toldos Aron fire. Like so many have mentioned upthread, Hundreds of members on DDF were at one point in their life also walking away from the Toldos Aron fire. I don't think as humans we can ever understand tragedy.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 02:07:06 PM by Abebee »