Author Topic: Can we stop posting videos of our bretheren dying?  (Read 21082 times)

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
Re: Can we stop posting videos of our bretheren dying?
« Reply #80 on: March 18, 2022, 05:25:17 PM »
I politely disagree. In was not considered acceptable to post pictures of levayas etc. as news items until relatively recently, but now it certainly is.

A really jarring funeral picture was posted/circulated recently to help raise money for the family in a crowdfunding campaign, and while I can’t judge anyone involved in choosing to circulate that picture, it was a major trigger to me, and probably to others as well.

When someone forwarded the Charidy campaign and that picture camp up as the image for the link, I lashed out at the person who shared it in a WhatsApp group we’re both in. I shouldn’t shoot the messenger, but now that we’re saturated with crowdfunding campaigns, it leads to things like this as means to get people to open their wallets and people get hurt in the process.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline WonderingYid

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 20, 2022, 05:35:31 PM »
A really jarring funeral picture was posted/circulated recently to help raise money for the family in a crowdfunding campaign, and while I can’t judge anyone involved in choosing to circulate that picture, it was a major trigger to me, and probably to others as well.

When someone forwarded the Charidy campaign and that picture camp up as the image for the link, I lashed out at the person who shared it in a WhatsApp group we’re both in. I shouldn’t shoot the messenger, but now that we’re saturated with crowdfunding campaigns, it leads to things like this as means to get people to open their wallets and people get hurt in the process.
Let's not forget about the (big) slice that charidy takes.

Offline JlmBoi

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 21, 2022, 11:19:59 AM »
Let's not forget about the (big) slice that charidy takes.
Bigger than what most career fundraisers take?
The chiddush of DDF is the way Dan Deals with all us crazies 🤪

Offline WonderingYid

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 21, 2022, 12:22:22 PM »
Bigger than what most career fundraisers take?
Not bigger then where I give me masser to, where everything except for the, when donating by cc (under 3)% cc prossesing fee goes to the needy. 

Offline JoeyShmoe

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 21, 2022, 12:34:51 PM »
Not bigger then where I give me masser to, where everything except for the, when donating by cc (under 3)% cc prossesing fee goes to the needy.
There's a reason why campaigns choose to pay the Charidy price, you see organizations of all types raising numbers we've never heard of. It's a simple business decision, go old school and x amount or with a professional team of marketers at your exposal and make 10x that much while paying a percentage - however large it may be - to Charidy. I don't work for Charidy, but I've been involved in more than one campaign, I haven't heard anyone that paid for their work and wasn't happy.
DDF A-Z Link Extension
Chrome
Firefox
Info

Offline WonderingYid

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 23, 2022, 08:58:37 PM »
There's a reason why campaigns choose to pay the Charidy price, you see organizations of all types raising numbers we've never heard of. It's a simple business decision, go old school and x amount or with a professional team of marketers at your exposal and make 10x that much while paying a percentage - however large it may be - to Charidy. I don't work for Charidy, but I've been involved in more than one campaign, I haven't heard anyone that paid for their work and wasn't happy.
Not arguing that the organization doesn't/does walk out with more after 10s of WhatsApp ads. I mentioning how much $$ never makes it to the needy. Not to mention all the pictures sent around of Almonos etc.

On a side notes: Tzedakah ABC Purim campaign "we will beat any advertised prize for collecting", meaning they want less $$ to go to the needy...

Offline JoeyShmoe

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 24, 2022, 11:12:27 AM »
I disagree with 2 out of 3 of your statements.

Not arguing that the organization doesn't/does walk out with more after 10s of WhatsApp ads. I mentioning how much $$ never makes it to the needy.
If an organization would make $100k on a fundraiser, and they use Charidy and make $1m but have to pay Charidy $500k (it's obviously nowhere near 50%, but for the sake of argument), they're still coming out with $400k more to give to the needy, I don't think the anyone will mind that 50% of the funds were spent in order to be able to raise 400% more than previous years.

Same goes for
On a side notes: Tzedakah ABC Purim campaign "we will beat any advertised prize for collecting", meaning they want less $$ to go to the needy...
If it pushes more children to bring in more money then it's a net positive, who cares how much goes to spending, is their bank account significantly bigger when all is said and done?

As for
Not to mention all the pictures sent around of Almonos etc.
I agree with that, those are just plain wrong IMO
DDF A-Z Link Extension
Chrome
Firefox
Info

Online Yehudaa

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 111
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 24, 2022, 11:24:50 AM »
I disagree with 2 out of 3 of your statements.
If an organization would make $100k on a fundraiser, and they use Charidy and make $1m but have to pay Charidy $500k (it's obviously nowhere near 50%, but for the sake of argument), they're still coming out with $400k more to give to the needy, I don't think the anyone will mind that 50% of the funds were spent in order to be able to raise 400% more than previous years.

Same goes forIf it pushes more children to bring in more money then it's a net positive, who cares how much goes to spending, is their bank account significantly bigger when all is said and done?
Might be a valid strategy from the organization's perspective, but from any donor's perspective if you knew that one organization was spending a much larger percentage of your donation on overhead which would you give to?

(Definitely give lots of tzedaka and I wouldn't discourage anyone from giving anywhere, but if you're deciding where to give large amounts to I would think it's worth giving to the one with the lower overhead.)

Offline JoeyShmoe

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 24, 2022, 11:29:36 AM »
Might be a valid strategy from the organization's perspective, but from any donor's perspective if you knew that one organization was spending a much larger percentage of your donation on overhead which would you give to?

(Definitely give lots of tzedaka and I wouldn't discourage anyone from giving anywhere, but if you're deciding where to give large amounts to I would think it's worth giving to the one with the lower overhead.)
הרוצה שיתן ולא יתנו אחרים...

As a donor I want the organization to be able to help as many needy people as possible, if that means that more of my money goes towards overhead and in turn they'll be able to reach much more people which will result in significantly more Tzedakah given to those who ned it, then I'm perfectly fine with it. I really don't get the argument.
DDF A-Z Link Extension
Chrome
Firefox
Info

Offline 4yourinfo

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 24, 2022, 11:32:49 AM »

+1 It may be a great deal for the organization but it's terrible deal for the donor.. however, you can look at it from a different angle - At the end of the day you want what is best for the org. and if this the way it needs to be done then you are very happy to have your donation"watered down" cause in the big picture it's much better..
« Last Edit: March 24, 2022, 11:43:02 AM by 4yourinfo »

Online TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: March 24, 2022, 11:46:01 AM »
+1 It may be a great deal for the organization but it's terrible deal for the donor!
Any donor who’s not happy with the status quo can give directly to the poor, sick, or widows. Everyone knows somebody who’s needy.

Offline ushdadude

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 24, 2022, 11:53:27 AM »
There are several tzedakas that market themselves as having low overhead. so obviously there is appeal to that

Offline 4yourinfo

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 24, 2022, 12:03:43 PM »
There are several tzedakas that market themselves as having low overhead. so obviously there is appeal to that
Any donor who’s not happy with the status quo can give directly to the poor, sick, or widows. Everyone knows somebody who’s needy.
So a "Wise" donor stays clear from these campaigns/orgs? Or maybe not as supporting these campaigns will help bring in more money in the long run..

Online TimT

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 24, 2022, 12:12:58 PM »
The fact is many donors consider it an honor to host some of the well known fundraisers & give a lot more than if they were giving directly. There’s a reason the good ones charge top dollar.

Offline ushdadude

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 24, 2022, 12:15:40 PM »
That's not the highest form of tzedaka according to the Ramabam.

Online TimT

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 24, 2022, 12:17:40 PM »
That's not the highest form of tzedaka according to the Ramabam.
Whats not the highest form ?

Offline ushdadude

• View Profile

Online TimT

• View Profile

Offline ushdadude

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 24, 2022, 01:01:54 PM »
So give it anonymously or hire him.
That's level 3.
Level 2 would be to have a middleman.....like an organization that collects funds and distributes them.

Online TimT

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 24, 2022, 01:05:03 PM »
That's level 3.
Level 2 would be to have a middleman.....like an organization that collects funds and distributes them.
So give it to his Rav to give it over. Point is there’s other ways besides for big organizations.