Author Topic: Can we stop posting videos of our bretheren dying?  (Read 20822 times)

Offline yesitsme

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
Re: Can we stop posting videos of our bretheren dying?
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2021, 11:15:45 PM »
One thing I'd add is that I find it appalling that some of the fundraiser pages for victims' families are using pictures of the rows of body bags.

I hate to get dramatic but just picture this: At 11 pm Mrs Young Almanah finally finishes crying her brood of fresh yesomim to sleep and gets a minute to herself. She picks up her phone to see who donated to her family's page so she can thank them personally and she's confronted by what? A picture of her husband lying on the ground in a body bag among dozens of others. Who's gonna take responsibility for her tears??

I know the organizers definitely mean well and likely want to get people's emotions to encourage donations, but please just post one of the thousands of happy moments of a father with his beutiful family- don't use the pictures of the tragic end!!
and then everyone gets excited when the kid plays totty with the playmobile

Offline LNS

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2021, 11:28:08 PM »
this reminds me of a story i believe it was misaskim who put out last year in a pamphlet ...
parents had a very ill child and were en route to hospital where there son was waiting to have a procedure at an attempt to save him
in the car the volunteer gets a call that the child was niftar before they could get there and he has to break it to the parents right then and there in the car because its already going around between groups. The volunteer then pulls over and tells the parents to which they reply they already knew from there own tehillim/ shul groups

Offline yuneeq

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2021, 11:40:00 PM »
Because I’ve shared some videos, while refraining from sharing others, let me ask - where do you draw the line as to what could/should be shared? From these events, there are videos of people going down the ramp, pretty innocent looking, and not really graphic, but yes some of those individuals died shortly after. Insensitive to share? On the other end are videos of body bags and videos with credit to נ.מ. Those I felt are too insensitive to share anywhere. Then you have the videos that fall in between. The pileups in the beginning but you don’t see people choking out. I shared but marked as graphic.

I dont know if there’s a right/wrong answer, but curious where do you draw the line personally? If enough people answer a certain way it would help people like myself become more sensitive to others.
Visibly Jewish

Offline Lurker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2021, 11:45:49 PM »
Because I’ve shared some videos, while refraining from sharing others, let me ask - where do you draw the line as to what could/should be shared? From these events, there are videos of people going down the ramp, pretty innocent looking, and not really graphic, but yes some of those individuals died shortly after. Insensitive to share? On the other end are videos of body bags and videos with credit to נ.מ. Those I felt are too insensitive to share anywhere. Then you have the videos that fall in between. The pileups in the beginning but you don’t see people choking out. I shared but marked as graphic.

I dont know if there’s a right/wrong answer, but curious where do you draw the line personally? If enough people answer a certain way it would help people like myself become more sensitive to others.

I'm going to qualify this by saying I am guilty of watching the less graphic clips. My curiosity often gets the better of me. However, I feel that unless there is a real toeles, it's just not necessary to share at all.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Online yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2021, 11:47:23 PM »
I think what @yuneeq posted was for a real toeles. Stopping the hate mongering of our fellow brethren. He made it really clear that it was not the police holding them back unlike what was reported everywhere else.

Offline flyingace

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2021, 11:49:51 PM »
I remember the first time I saw a niftar in a tallis. I was 18 years old and it was very very difficult. Today, it would barely make an impression.

Offline Yehudaa

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 111
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2021, 11:51:00 PM »

Firstly I have to say I respect your openness to change and your willingness to ask.

Personally I would not post any of them. The biggest concern I have is family members seeing it or hearing that these videos are out there and in my mind if there's even a small chance that it could hurt someone then why post it. I can't even imagine what the relatives are going through right now and I have to assume that even videos of their relatives walking down that path would be aggravating as some of those people were literally walking to their death r"l.

Marking it as graphic definitely helps to give people the choice as to whether they want to watch it but doesn't really help the families who have to deal with it being circulated. Could be useful for other situations where there's no concern of family seeing but concern for people watching.

That's my option but I'd love to hear others.

Online yelped

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2021, 11:52:17 PM »
I remember the first time I saw a niftar in a tallis. I was 18 years old and it was very very difficult. Today, it would barely make an impression.
Big part of the issue is all the Charidy campaign ads plastered all over the Jewish websites. The text and the images are a huge problem. To be honest, they're a big part of the reason I don't frequent TLS, YWN, VIN etc. besides the fact that these publications are "extreme fake news".

Online yelped

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2021, 11:53:41 PM »
Firstly I have to say I respect your openness to change and your willingness to ask.

Personally I would not post any of them. The biggest concern I have is family members seeing it or hearing that these videos are out there and in my mind if there's even a small chance that it could hurt someone then why post it. I can't even imagine what the relatives are going through right now and I have to assume that even videos of their relatives walking down that path would be aggravating as some of those people were literally walking to their death r"l.

Marking it as graphic definitely helps to give people the choice as to whether they want to watch it but doesn't really help the families who have to deal with it being circulated. Could be useful for other situations where there's no concern of family seeing but concern for people watching.

That's my option but I'd love to hear others.
These videos are literally plastered all over the internet. I don't think posting some selected ones for a purpose, not just to satisfy people's curiosity is wrong.

Offline Yehuda57

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2021, 11:54:30 PM »

Iinm, you posted links with warnings. That's at least giving me the opportunity to decide for myself what I'm going to watch

Offline yuneeq

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2021, 11:59:08 PM »
Iinm, you posted links with warnings. That's at least giving me the opportunity to decide for myself what I'm going to watch

I did, and I only posted to counter the hate, it really bothers me to see הי״ד. But if it’s insensitive we can find a better way.
Visibly Jewish

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2021, 12:00:16 AM »
I think what @yuneeq posted was for a real toeles. Stopping the hate mongering of our fellow brethren. He made it really clear that it was not the police holding them back unlike what was reported everywhere else.

That's a judgement call each person makes for themselves. IMO, as long as it serves a real purpose other than rubbernecking, I'm ok with it.

Online yelped

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2021, 12:02:37 AM »
I did, and I only posted to counter the hate, it really bothers me to see הי״ד. But if it’s insensitive we can find a better way.
This is very important. People look for scapegoats and the Tziyonim versus the Chareidim is always a prime ploy for people to bandy about.

Offline YitzyS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2021, 05:37:19 AM »
Think about what this 8-year-old boy must have seen

Offline Moshe123

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Lost
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2021, 05:53:58 AM »
I haven't watched a full video of it. From what I've seen, people are looking at these videos because they want to understand and analyze what happened due to the contradictions out there. The conspiracies of these kooks would be way worse without them.

And of course, I'll never forget that dreadful Sunday morning last year in the beginning of covid when people wanted to emphasize how bad it is and sent around photos of the bodies in Shomrei Hadas chapel, including my FIL z"l. I still didn't look at it, even though I got it on whatsapp.

Online PlatinumGuy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2021, 06:12:59 AM »
To illustrate how serious the ramifications are, I saw somebody on an Israeli group outright calling for ׳גואל הדם׳ to avenge the deceased by executing their alleged killers.

Meron happened because the police couldn't say no. Putting the blame on the police makes it even harder for them to say next time.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline ushdadude

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2021, 10:27:29 AM »
To be honest, they're a big part of the reason I don't frequent TLS, YWN, VIN etc. besides the fact that these publications are "extreme fake news".
Unfortunately I'm adding ddf to that list (not ddms)

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2021, 10:48:53 AM »
Unfortunately I'm adding ddf to that list (not ddms)

Very, very, very big difference.

Offline ushdadude

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2021, 10:53:10 AM »
Very, very, very big difference.
Which is?

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2021, 10:55:54 AM »
Which is?

The entire metzius of those sites is about shoving the most provocative headlines and images in your face for clicks. Here, there are a few threads which share that material. It's a miniscule portion of what goes on here, and it's very easy to avoid within the forum if you want.