Author Topic: Can we stop posting videos of our bretheren dying?  (Read 20709 times)

Offline ushdadude

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Re: Can we stop posting videos of our bretheren dying?
« Reply #100 on: March 24, 2022, 01:10:04 PM »
So give it to his Rav to give it over. Point is there’s other ways besides for big organizations.

agreed. but there are big organizations that maintain a low overhead and have economics of scale.

i think we all agree here and are arguing semantics. Do your own research and give where you feel comfortable giving.....but keep giving.

Online Sammy82

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 24, 2022, 01:37:57 PM »
Why is this any more of an issue than CEOs and other high level executives getting millions in organizations, schools (talking about colleges), etc? Obviously they are bring value. Often, it is their ability to raise funds.
Yes, some smaller organizations, with smaller fundraising amounts and budgets could get away with an all/mostly volunteer management but if you're looking to raise big money, it is going to cost money.
As a side point, I suspect (but may be wrong) that some of these websites have flat fees or sliding fee schedule so the more they raise, a less percentage does NOT go to the organization.

Offline yeshivabucher

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Travel Agent, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National EE, Uber VIP, SPG Gold
« Reply #102 on: March 24, 2022, 01:42:31 PM »
so the more they raise, a less percentage does NOT go to the organization.
took me a minute to prosses this

Online ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline Yehudaa

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 111
    • View Profile

Offline yeshivabucher

• View Profile
  • Programs: Travel Agent, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National EE, Uber VIP, SPG Gold
« Reply #105 on: March 30, 2022, 10:20:31 AM »
https://thechesedfund.com/tiferes/hatzala?aff=kolh29.3ws
Just disgusting they also sent around a video  but too graphic to share

Offline Ralphie

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #107 on: April 12, 2022, 03:10:47 PM »
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 13, 2022, 04:32:17 PM »
הרוצה שיתן ולא יתנו אחרים...

As a donor I want the organization to be able to help as many needy people as possible, if that means that more of my money goes towards overhead and in turn they'll be able to reach much more people which will result in significantly more Tzedakah given to those who ned it, then I'm perfectly fine with it. I really don't get the argument.
I have a finite amount of money in my charity account. If I give $100 to an organization with 40% overhead they get $60 profit, but a different cause is losing out on that $100 and their overhead is only 15%. The net result is $60 going to one organization instead of $85 to another organization, with a net loss of $25 to tzedakah.
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Online S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #109 on: April 13, 2022, 11:44:06 PM »
I have a finite amount of money in my charity account. If I give $100 to an organization with 40% overhead they get $60 profit, but a different cause is losing out on that $100 and their overhead is only 15%. The net result is $60 going to one organization instead of $85 to another organization, with a net loss of $25 to tzedakah.
Logical and fair, but you’re assuming a zero-sum game with a predetermined amount of money in the pool, when it’s certain that better campaigns can and do bring in money that wasn’t necessarily going to be donated to any cause at all.

A) If they bring in more money than was originally in the “pool”, it’s not a net loss. In fact, it may leave extra money in the pool for the other organizations.
B) If they are a cause I prefer, I’d rather a smaller percentage go to a cause I prefer over a larger amount going to a cause I don’t and by proxy
C) If they are a cause that I feel is more worthy, I’m happy to have my money used to propel money from elsewhere into my favored cause.
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Online yuneeq

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 14, 2022, 01:35:06 AM »
Logical and fair, but you’re assuming a zero-sum game with a predetermined amount of money in the pool, when it’s certain that better campaigns can and do bring in money that wasn’t necessarily going to be donated to any cause at all.

A) If they bring in more money than was originally in the “pool”, it’s not a net loss. In fact, it may leave extra money in the pool for the other organizations.
B) If they are a cause I prefer, I’d rather a smaller percentage go to a cause I prefer over a larger amount going to a cause I don’t and by proxy
C) If they are a cause that I feel is more worthy, I’m happy to have my money used to propel money from elsewhere into my favored cause.

Something else not mentioned -

A well run organization won’t necessarily have a fixed % going towards overhead. They might spend $50-100k to launch a campaign along with a small commission for the site running it, the more money they raise the lower the overhead is as a percentage. So would I rather give to a great cause that already spent $100k, got the attention of 100k people and raised $5mm or is it better to give to a campaign that spent 1k, got the attention of 5k people and raised $100k?

Going a little deeper into it - every campaign has a certain amount of people that would give to it without any special marketing necessary. In the case of the larger org, assuming they may have gotten 1mm while keeping marketing costs at a minimum, but now they can spend 100k to raise 4m from people who wouldn’t have given that tzedakah otherwise? Why not? It’s a no brainer, and it’s not a zero sum game. Meanwhile the low overhead org will raise 100k but not a dollar from people that aren’t running to give.

If I’m giving anyways, I’d perhaps prefer give it to the org that knows how to generate 5x my donation out of thin air to make my dollar go further.

TLDR, a well run org spends money to raise huge sums mostly from people that wouldn’t have given otherwise
Visibly Jewish

Offline avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 14, 2022, 07:53:03 AM »
Do you have a source for this, or is it your assumption/opinion?
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline zh cohen

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 14, 2022, 08:55:49 AM »
Something else not mentioned -

Some organizations get caught up in the hype, and invest in a campaign when it doesn't bring in any more than they would have gotten without spending the money.

Online yuneeq

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 14, 2022, 09:09:14 AM »
Some organizations get caught up in the hype, and invest in a campaign when it doesn't bring in any more than they would have gotten without spending the money.

I used the term “well run orgs” for that reason, but also will say your statement is an exaggeration. An overhyped, inefficient campaign would still bring more money than no investment at all. It will just be an inefficient use of funds.
Visibly Jewish

Online S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #114 on: April 14, 2022, 11:21:47 AM »
Do you have a source for this, or is it your assumption/opinion?
I don’t know that it’s possible to prove in the frum community but this is according to someone who is a fundraiser for a very large Tzedaka fund and AFAIK in studies total charity output has risen with better outreach efforts. You believe everyone is giving exactly 10% of income to Tzedaka? Including Gevirim?

Offline Randomex

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: MSPaint, Notepad, Firefox, VLC Media Player - Old sig quote was found in Reb Mendel and His Wisdom
« Reply #115 on: April 14, 2022, 11:38:06 AM »
+1 It may be a great deal for the organization but it's terrible deal for the donor.. however, you can look at it from a different angle - At the end of the day you want what is best for the org. and if this the way it needs to be done then you are very happy to have your donation"watered down" cause in the big picture it's much better..

If your donation is used to solicit other donations, are you not getting the zchus of zikui horabim?

(Also, if any mod is reading this, please fix the spelling in the thread title.)
Do you want to play a board game, digitally or in Lakewood NJ? PM me. (Can be asynchronous, i.e. take turns whenever)

Online S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #116 on: April 14, 2022, 11:40:49 AM »
There is a percentage of people who give less than maaser. There is a percentage of people who give more than maaser. What percentage? I don’t know.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 14, 2022, 11:55:38 AM »
There is a percentage of people who give less than maaser. There is a percentage of people who give more than maaser. What percentage? I don’t know.

There is certainly an increase in overall giving with all the crowdfunding, how much is anyones guess, I don’t think there’s a scientific way to pinpoint the exact percentage.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline VacationLover

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 05, 2022, 08:04:03 PM »
The pictures and videos from today's terror attack that is posted all over, is utterly insensitive to say the least.

Offline Sam 77

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 05, 2022, 08:52:33 PM »
The pictures and videos from today's terror attack that is posted all over, is utterly insensitive to say the least.
I thought they learnt there lesson after all the back lash after last attack.