Author Topic: Walkie Talkies/Radios recommendation  (Read 627 times)

Online YitzyS

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
Walkie Talkies/Radios recommendation
« on: May 03, 2021, 01:47:18 PM »
Anyone have a recommendation for a good set of walkie talkies or 2-way radios? Also, anyone have experience with letting kids use these? Is there an issue with talking to strangers, or potential danger?

I'm referring specifically to Lakewood, where the vast majority of people talking on these radios would be frum Jews.

Any insight is appreciated.

Offline Davidthebest

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2110
    • View Profile
Re: Walkie Talkies/Radios recommendation
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2021, 03:40:09 PM »
Anyone have a recommendation for a good set of walkie talkies or 2-way radios? Also, anyone have experience with letting kids use these? Is there an issue with talking to strangers, or potential danger?

I'm referring specifically to Lakewood, where the vast majority of people talking on these radios would be frum Jews.

Any insight is appreciated.
I wouldn't trust my kids even with only frum people using it. Same as I wouldn't let them go out with strangers playing without knowing who when where. That being said. Each to there own.

Offline yoshyosh

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 147
    • View Profile
Re: Walkie Talkies/Radios recommendation
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2021, 04:18:37 PM »
Most consumer walkie talkies are not very useful. The bands they use are very limited which means many people using the same frequency. They have very bad range especially in cities, forests and hilly areas. Saying that Costco has several walkie talkies I have tried Motorola seems to be the a better option. I have used them for meeting up with kids if a school wouldn't allow cell phones. Similar point meeting someone at the airport of a foreign country where you don't have cell service they service a purpose.

As to how kid safe they are, there is no content filter and no way to know who they are communicating with. Because of how walkie talkies are used often you over hear truck drivers and construction sites. There are also bands used by police that can cause trouble if kids are using the wrong frequency.

Offline yoshyosh

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 147
    • View Profile