Author Topic: War in Israel  (Read 158503 times)

Offline Lurker

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
Re: War in Israel
« Reply #1000 on: May 14, 2021, 02:52:19 PM »
I'm not quite sure that Egyptian intelligence officials are trustworthy sources, but nonetheless -https://apnews.com/article/israel-palestinians-conflict-5-14-a76702fdfcad4692922d6a11533e0f08

Sounds about right.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline yesitsme

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: May 14, 2021, 02:54:02 PM »
I'm not quite sure that Egyptian intelligence officials are trustworthy sources, but nonetheless -https://apnews.com/article/israel-palestinians-conflict-5-14-a76702fdfcad4692922d6a11533e0f08
Israel would be stupid to agree, how about Egypt should offer a proposal before shooting rockets? Once hamas puts down their arms Israel should start considering if they're interested
["-"]

Offline CountValentine

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #1002 on: May 14, 2021, 03:05:15 PM »
They’ll pay back ? They already hate Israel with every fiber of their worthless beings. If they slant any more they’ll be standing on their heads. They should be grateful the Israelis let them in.
#fakenews
They way more room to ratchet up the hatred.
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #1003 on: May 14, 2021, 03:27:33 PM »
Israel Bibi would be stupid to agree, how about Egypt should offer a proposal before shooting rockets? Once hamas puts down their arms Israel should start considering if they're interested

FTFY

Bibi's situation is very different right now that it has ever been before. He needs to earn as many points as he can on delivering on important things for the Israeli public. Don't expect any compromise truce. This is likely to go on until close to total surrender or very substantial obliteration.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #1004 on: May 14, 2021, 03:53:44 PM »
FTFY

Bibi's situation is very different right now that it has ever been before. He needs to earn as many points as he can on delivering on important things for the Israeli public. Don't expect any compromise truce. This is likely to go on until close to total surrender or very substantial obliteration.

I think we'll see this end by Shavuos. The question is what Bibi can get out of it before then.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #1005 on: May 14, 2021, 04:10:16 PM »
I think we'll see this end by Shavuos. The question is what Bibi can get out of it before then.

I would say the opposite. I think it will end when Bibi feels he got the maximum out of it, the question is whether that will happen by Shavuos.

Let me make this clear: IMO anything that could be seen by the Israeli public as a sign of weakness against Hamas will be detrimental to Bibi's political future (and possibly to the future of some of his allies). At this point it is even more complicated, because there's an urgent need to face and deal head-on with the Israeli Arab issues.
-- Dan

Offline E.c

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: May 14, 2021, 04:20:40 PM »
I think the recent big strike was what bibi wanted. Bibi kept on saying no ceasfire until we are satisfied. IMO although we don't know the full extent of damage
that's the hit he wanted on hamas. Seemingly they got a lot done without going in on the ground.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: May 14, 2021, 04:37:51 PM »
I would say the opposite. I think it will end when Bibi feels he got the maximum out of it, the question is whether that will happen by Shavuos.

Let me make this clear: IMO anything that could be seen by the Israeli public as a sign of weakness against Hamas will be detrimental to Bibi's political future (and possibly to the future of some of his allies). At this point it is even more complicated, because there's an urgent need to face and deal head-on with the Israeli Arab issues.

I don't think a ceasefire at this point would be seen as weakness. They took out a significant chunk of Hamas' infrastructure, and I think the Israeli public would appreciate not spending yomtov under fire. Politically, he's already achieved a coup by quashing Bennett's potential coalition with the Arab parties. There aren't too many voices calling for a stronger response, definitely not on the left, and not too many outside of the far-right, so there's little risk there. Ultimately, he didn't lose and at worst is in the same position as he was for the past few years. At best, he can point to the muted international response and take credit for bring the world to heel, along with whatever tactical gains were made in Gaza, and parlay that into lukewarm support for another few years.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: May 14, 2021, 05:00:45 PM »
I don't think a ceasefire at this point would be seen as weakness. They took out a significant chunk of Hamas' infrastructure, and I think the Israeli public would appreciate not spending yomtov under fire. Politically, he's already achieved a coup by quashing Bennett's potential coalition with the Arab parties. There aren't too many voices calling for a stronger response, definitely not on the left, and not too many outside of the far-right, so there's little risk there. Ultimately, he didn't lose and at worst is in the same position as he was for the past few years. At best, he can point to the muted international response and take credit for bring the world to heel, along with whatever tactical gains were made in Gaza, and parlay that into lukewarm support for another few years.

Maybe. But there are definitely voices complaining about allowing this buildup to happen, and then you have what's going on in Lod, Akko, etc.

A simple ceasefire isn't enough IMHO. The Israeli public needs to be convinced of a fundamental change. Hamas needs to be brought down on its knees. IDK how in the world they deal with the Israeli Arabs, that's by far more complicated.
-- Dan

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: May 14, 2021, 05:04:10 PM »
Maybe. But there are definitely voices complaining about allowing this buildup to happen, and then you have what's going on in Lod, Akko, etc.

A simple ceasefire isn't enough IMHO. The Israeli public needs to be convinced of a fundamental change. Hamas needs to be brought down on its knees. IDK how in the world they deal with the Israeli Arabs, that's by far more complicated.

I think the internal issues will rule the day. The talk will be about how they hit Hamas right where/how they wanted to, and now the country needs to focus on fixing the internal strife.

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: May 14, 2021, 05:33:05 PM »
I think the internal issues will rule the day. The talk will be about how they hit Hamas right where/how they wanted to, and now the country needs to focus on fixing the internal strife.

That's where we seem to disagree. I think showing a clear path regarding dealing with the Israeli Arabs is absolutely critical. A plan isn't good enough. It needs to be something that will have started before the elections come.
-- Dan

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: May 14, 2021, 05:35:13 PM »
That's where we seem to disagree. I think showing a clear path regarding dealing with the Israeli Arabs is absolutely critical. A plan isn't good enough. It needs to be something that will have started before the elections come.

We're not disagreeing, I'm just saying that's his out for a ceasefire.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: May 14, 2021, 05:40:52 PM »
We're not disagreeing, I'm just saying that's his out for a ceasefire.

A ceasefire like previous ones won't cut it. If he leaves the Hamas with any dignity (or Israeli popular perception that Hamas got anything that can be seen as anything but a total surrender or crush) that will haunt him just as much.
-- Dan

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: May 14, 2021, 05:46:14 PM »
A ceasefire like previous ones won't cut it. If he leaves the Hamas with any dignity (or Israeli popular perception that Hamas got anything that can be seen as anything but a total surrender or crush) that will haunt him just as much.

Short term, I think he's made enough progress to deflect to the internal issues. Long term you're probably right, but I don't think there is a long term for Bibi.

Offline Kobe Bryant

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: May 14, 2021, 05:50:00 PM »
Three missiles were fired at Israel from Syria Friday evening, hours after the Lebanese Hezbollah terror group said one of its members was killed by Israeli fire on the border.
One rocket fell inside Syria and the other two landed in open areas of the Golan Heights, the military said.

Earlier Thursday, Israeli forces fired tank shells as a warning to a group of protesters who broke through the border fence with Lebanon near Metulla, sabotaging the barrier and setting fires, the military said.

Lebanon said one person was killed and Hezbollah later said he was a member of the Shiite terror group.

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile

Offline yesitsme

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
["-"]

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: May 14, 2021, 06:09:00 PM »
Who are they fact checking? WhatsApp? Hamas?
They are showing it had nothing to do with the current conflict and was staged as a joke not to be taken seriously. I seen the clip in this thread so that is was germane to post.