Author Topic: War in Israel  (Read 157844 times)

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
Re: War in Israel
« Reply #180 on: May 11, 2021, 08:27:19 AM »
137 rockets fired within 5 minutes (to overwhelm and evade iron dome).

Unrelenting barrage on Ashkelon for more than 1h, military directs everybody to remain in bomb shelters until further notice.

Good thing most of them are following conventional wisdom and not @m65's nonsense. 
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline Happyguy

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: May 11, 2021, 08:27:40 AM »
The Chazon Ish and R' Shach.
It depends on the individual circumstances as it won't have an impact on the Klal. I definitely wouldn't advocate for it with the same zeal as the zionists (religious and not religious).

Can you find me a source please?

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #182 on: May 11, 2021, 08:29:24 AM »
ISRAEL: BREAKING: Two Israeli’s were killed, two more were seriously hurt after a rocket fired from Gaza hit a residential building in the city of Ashkelon.

:'( :'( :'(
*פראמדיק מד"א ישראל לוגסי סיפר:* "כשהגענו למקום ראינו מבנה חד קומתי שנפגע ובתוכו היו 2 נשים שנפגעו באורח קשה. חילצנו אלינו מהבניין אישה כבת 80 שסבלה מפגיעה רב מערכתית קשה מאוד, הענקנו לה טיפול רפואי מציל חיים שכלל הנחת חסמי עורקים ועצירת דימומים ופינינו אותה במצב קשה ולא יציב לבית החולים. אישה נוספת שנפגעה באורח אנוש מטופלת בזירה."

זק״א: עדכון לאשקלון, נקבע מותם של שני נפגעים. צוות זק״א אשקלון מטפלים בכבוד המת בזירות הקשות.

Two separate scenes.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #183 on: May 11, 2021, 08:31:01 AM »
Can you find me a source please?

Moving to new thread for political discussion.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 08:35:36 AM by PlatinumGuy »

Offline Happyguy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: May 11, 2021, 08:33:48 AM »
Source for what?

For me and my rebbeim, if it would be hypothetically be feasible for all Jews in Israel to emigrate to the US (or anyplace safe), it would indeed be preferable. Jewish sovereignty of Israel isn't a value to us at all, certainly not one that justifies the price of 50k dead Jews (and counting). We do accept it is unfeasible to leave Israel and so the Israeli state was probably the safest option given the circumstances.

Offline Ergel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: May 11, 2021, 08:35:02 AM »
For me and my rebbeim, if it would be hypothetically be feasible for all Jews in Israel to emigrate to the US (or anyplace safe), it would indeed be preferable. Jewish sovereignty of Israel isn't a value to us at all, certainly not one that justifies the price of 50k dead Jews (and counting). We do accept it is unfeasible to leave Israel and so the Israeli state was probably the safest option given the circumstances.
So Herzl was right and we should have gone to Uganda? Do you honestly believe this?
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline drosenberg88429

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: May 11, 2021, 08:35:16 AM »
137 rockets fired within 5 minutes (to overwhelm and evade iron dome).

Unrelenting barrage on Ashkelon for more than 1h

ימח שמם וזכרם

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 09:09:23 AM by PlatinumGuy »

Offline Kobe Bryant

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: May 11, 2021, 09:19:16 AM »
IDF and Shin Bet just announced killing commander of Islamic Jihad's rocket force.

Offline NTorch

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 68
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: May 11, 2021, 09:37:44 AM »

Agreed - the height of suicide bombings was during the post-Oslo withdrawal period.

Online CountValentine

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #190 on: May 11, 2021, 09:56:08 AM »
The truth hurts.
This is always the case when one refuses to open their eyes.

What I find interesting about this discussion is you provide insight to both sides no matter how it falls. Others only provide one side. Very easy to tell who has their eyes open and who has their head buried in the sand.
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #191 on: May 11, 2021, 10:10:46 AM »
Agreed - the height of suicide bombings was during the post-Oslo withdrawal period.
Urban myth.

The Oslo accords were signed in 1993. The height of terrorist attacks were 2001 (182 killed), 2002 (307 killed), and 2003 (156 killed), all in the second intifada that Israeli provocations caused (or at least contributed significantly to), notably Sharon's כוחי ועוצם ידי visit to Temple Mount, and ended in the aftermath of חומת מגן when Israel managed to establish a high quality intelligence network and built the separation wall.

The Oslo accords were a huge success with the Palestinian Authority preventing terrorist attacks and rescuing Israelis on a daily basis. From 1996 to 1993 there were more than 200 Jews killed every year by Arabs (From 1948 more than 80 every year).

In the last 5 years, it is under 100 every year for the first time since 1966.

Offline Lurker

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #192 on: May 11, 2021, 10:11:28 AM »
Ultimately, my guess at this point is that Hamas decided to shoot today to win popular support by portraying themselves as protectors of Al Aqsa, and took a calculated gamble that they'll be able to end this round without catastrophic results.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/hamas-thinks-israel-will-want-to-end-this-conflict-quickly-it-could-be-wrong/

There seems to be a consensus on the back of exit strategy for Hamas. Channel 12 is reporting Hamas already requested a ceasefire and Israel refused.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #193 on: May 11, 2021, 10:14:53 AM »

What I find interesting about this discussion is you provide insight to both sides no matter how it falls. Others only provide one side. Very easy to tell who has their eyes open and who has their head buried in the sand.
Thank you. I was taught to always question my natural first impression and accept that my mind is crooked but the truth is straight, and I have to bend my mind to conform with reality, resisting the natural urge to attempt to explain reality according to my preconceptions.

I'll often approach something and say 'how do I know, maybe it's the exact opposite'? And to be sure one way or the other, you have to make then best argument for each side to evaluate them accurately.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #194 on: May 11, 2021, 10:16:36 AM »

Understand that everything about this conflict is personal and emotional, on both sides. Objectivity isn't possible for most under those circumstances, and isn't necessarily seen as something to even aspire to. Facts and objectivity ultimately won't solve anything here.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #195 on: May 11, 2021, 10:16:54 AM »
https://www.timesofisrael.com/hamas-thinks-israel-will-want-to-end-this-conflict-quickly-it-could-be-wrong/

There seems to be a consensus on the back of exit strategy for Hamas. Channel 12 is reporting Hamas already requested a ceasefire and Israel refused.

If Hamas really wanted it to end, they would just stop launching rockets. Here is my previous take on guessing what their motivations are.

DM Gantz approves IDF's request to mobilize 5,000 reservists.

Gantz & Bibbi have strong political incentive to prolong the conflict, and Hamas probably wants it to end while they can claim they defended Al Aqsa and before consequences are even more severe for their organization and the population they control (on the other hand provoking Israel to inflict further damage helps Hamas win financial and political support).

In the short term, the quicker it dies down the less Jews will be hurt, but in the long term inadequate retailation and lack of deterrent may embolden the enemy to have a looser finger on the trigger while missiles and arms can be upgraded. It's an impossible decision where no human can strike the perfect balance (much less uninformed pundits) - something to think about when davening הָשִׁיבָה שׁוֹפְטֵינוּ כְּבָרִאשׁוֹנָה, וְיוֹעֲצֵינוּ כְּבַתְּחִלָּה, - we are supposed to have prophets and אורים ותומים to consult with in such situations. 

Personally, it's hard to see this subsiding without infantry entering Gaza, which tends to carry the gravest price.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #196 on: May 11, 2021, 10:19:58 AM »
Understand that everything about this conflict is personal and emotional, on both sides. Objectivity isn't possible for most under those circumstances, and isn't necessarily seen as something to even aspire to. Facts and objectivity ultimately won't solve anything here.

Very true. In most conflicts who is right and who is wrong has very little relevance. Most of them both are wrong. Think of a fractured marriage. It doesn't matter how it started, because there's nothing that can be done about it. What matter is if and how it can be reconciled.

To me personally, the truth is always valuable in its own merit (except in times when keeping it hidden can be justified for a greater good).

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #197 on: May 11, 2021, 10:21:14 AM »
Understand that everything about this conflict is personal and emotional, on both sides. Objectivity isn't possible for most under those circumstances, and isn't necessarily seen as something to even aspire to.
I understand fully why most have certain views.
This is why for the most part I don't give my thoughts/view on the situation.
Facts and objectivity ultimately won't solve anything here.
Then it seems it will never be solved.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #198 on: May 11, 2021, 10:24:02 AM »
Then it seems it will never be solved.

This is what the rest of the world doesn't get. There is no solution to this problem. It's chronic. There is only management and minimizing the fallout.

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #199 on: May 11, 2021, 10:27:09 AM »
This is what the rest of the world doesn't get. There is no solution to this problem. It's chronic. There is only management and minimizing the fallout.
Every problem has a solution. Getting opposite sides to see that is the goal.