Author Topic: To all those that ask medical questions to your Rav...  (Read 7706 times)

Offline coffeebean

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
Re: To all those that ask medical questions to your Rav...
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2021, 11:17:13 PM »
Now to our conversation... I always feel that a Dr. Rabbi is neither a doctor nor a rabbi...
Not sure how one contradicts the other.

Offline YitzyS

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2021, 11:20:27 PM »
Not sure how one contradicts the other.
It's a feeling. Obviously, it's not across the board, and perhaps not rampant. But there is a sentiment that one can doubt someone who specializes in more than one field.

It was far from an absolute statement. There are many, many who excel in both. Including some here on DDF I'm sure.

Offline Euclid

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2021, 11:23:14 PM »
There are many, many who excel in both. Including some here on DDF I'm sure.
Excuse me, most DDFers are world class experts in many (most?) fields.

Online TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2021, 11:23:20 PM »
A Rov should know when to answer and when to tell you to ask a doctor. There are some questions the doctors and Rabbonim know, but if a Rov that can't tell you to ask your doctor when you should ask your doctor, he probably shouldn't be your Rov.
Not every rov will answer medical issues & the well known rabbonim who do, have the biggest dr’s on speed dial.

Offline Euclid

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2021, 11:25:26 PM »
Not every rov will answer medical issues
Except for covid related issues ;)

(Sorry, couldn't resist.)

Online TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2021, 11:26:20 PM »
Excuse me, most DDFers are world class experts in every field.
FTFY

Offline ChapsTheMatzav

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2021, 11:26:59 PM »
you clearly don't ChapTheMatzav
That was sarcastic...
Whether you think you can or you think you cannot, you're right.

Offline ChapsTheMatzav

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2021, 11:27:19 PM »
a Rov who he apparently asked his seemingly 'worthless' opinion on taking the vaccine. Unless of course his Rov is a doctor. Why else would his Rov voice his opinion on vaccines
That was sarcastic...

Offline ChapsTheMatzav

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2021, 11:28:23 PM »
In my mind, a doctor is someone who can save a person who is having a heart attack on an airplane. Yes, I listen to Ben Shapiro too much.
I can. And I'm not a Doctor...

Offline shmelke

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Shlepper Class
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2021, 11:29:17 PM »
Hahaha, not from me you aren't. But there are a number of Doctors who are also legitimate Rabbonim. B"H despite smicha and an MD, I identify strongly with the story of the Satmar Rebbe.
What’s blue but not heavy???
Light Blue!

Offline moko

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2021, 12:55:58 AM »
A shame you didn’t know Rabbi Dr. Twersky. A great rabbi & a great Dr. in his field.
from Rabbi Dr. Twerski

Quote from: English Hamodia "Seeking Solutions" section ((C15) by Rabbi Dr. Twerski
"Q. On several occasions, you have recommended that the reader should consult a daas Torah. What or who constitutes a daas Torah? Furthermore, since you are a rabbi yourself, why can't you give the opinion as daas Torah?"

"A. Although a rabbi may be authorized to give rulings on questions that can be answered by halacha, that does not necessarily qualify him to render an opinion on matters on which there are no halachic guidelines. In such cases, one should be guided by Torah hashkafa.
There are principles of Torah hashkafa that can serve as guidelines to all situations in life. However, a person giving an opinion must be certain that his opinion is based on pure Torah concepts. This can only be someone whose entire thought process are the result of Torah knowledge.
I have studied psychology, and it is possible that that my thinking may have been influenced by psychology. Even if I had adequate Torah knowledge, I could not be considered a daas Torah because I have been subject to concepts that did not derive from Torah.
Therefore, daas Torah is a talmid chacham who was never influenced by anything other than Torah."

Offline drosenberg88429

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2021, 01:34:24 AM »
In my mind, a doctor is someone who can save a person who is having a heart attack on an airplane. Yes, I listen to Ben Shapiro too much.

It's hard to differentiate between doctor (someone who can save a person who is having a heart attack on an airplane) and Dr. (someone who has gotten a doctorate degree) via a podcast or any other auditory only medium.

I'm not even getting started on the insinuation that a psychologist that works on diagnosing and healing mental health issues is any less of a doctor than a pediatrician that works on diagnosing and healing physical health issues, or going to bother pointing out that Dr. Twerski attended medical school, as do all psychiatrists.

I know CPR and how to operate a basic AED, btw, and I'm neither a doctor, a Dr., or a Rabbi.

Offline shmelke

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2021, 02:16:53 AM »
It's hard to differentiate between doctor (someone who can save a person who is having a heart attack on an airplane) and Dr. (someone who has gotten a doctorate degree) via a podcast or any other auditory only medium.

I'm not even getting started on the insinuation that a psychologist that works on diagnosing and healing mental health issues is any less of a doctor than a pediatrician that works on diagnosing and healing physical health issues, or going to bother pointing out that Dr. Twerski attended medical school, as do all psychiatrists.

I know CPR and how to operate a basic AED, btw, and I'm neither a doctor, a Dr., or a Rabbi.

You are not a doctor? Isn't your name Dr. Osenberg?
Light Blue!

Offline yuneeq

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2021, 02:18:23 AM »
Just want to point out that there’s a couple ways that someone can pose a medical question to a rav:

1. What should you do medically
2. You explain all the scenarios and he tells you what to do al pi halacha, or he says that if you do tshuva/mitzva/etc, you’ll be fine.

The first way is pretty tough to rely on, why ask a rav for medical advice? I did it once and was given an answer that wasn’t accurate. OTOH, when a patient is given multiple options that are clear but with different potential outcomes and risks, it’s for a rav to decide which risks we are better off taking.
Visibly Jewish

Offline shmelke

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2021, 02:35:35 AM »
They say a story about the Satmar rov. He was once introduced as "Hagaon Hatzadik." When he got up to the podium, he said, "when I was growing up, there were those who were gaonim, but not so extraordinary in their tzidkus. And there were also those who were great tzadikim, but they weren't necessarily such big geonim. When someone was called a gaon, we understood it meant 'and not a tzadik', and when someone was called tzadik, we understood it to mean 'and not a gaon.'

"Today," the Satmar Rov concluded. "We must say Hagaon Hatzadik, to portray that he's not a tzadik and not a gaon!"

Now to our conversation... I always feel that a Dr. Rabbi is neither a doctor nor a rabbi...

Man, the more I think about this story the more I love it :)
Light Blue!

Offline shmelke

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2021, 02:38:45 AM »
It's a feeling. Obviously, it's not across the board, and perhaps not rampant. But there is a sentiment that one can doubt someone who specializes in more than one field.

It was far from an absolute statement. There are many, many who excel in both. Including some here on DDF I'm sure.

Rav Avraham Steinberg might be the single active doctor/rabbi that is truly an expert both in medical halacha (unparalleled) and the practice of medicine, he is a pediatric neurologist. I can't think of anyone else these days.
Light Blue!

Offline m65

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2021, 02:46:13 AM »
from Rabbi Dr. Twerski

"Q. On several occasions, you have recommended that the reader should consult a daas Torah. What or who constitutes a daas Torah? Furthermore, since you are a rabbi yourself, why can't you give the opinion as daas Torah?"

"A. Although a rabbi may be authorized to give rulings on questions that can be answered by halacha, that does not necessarily qualify him to render an opinion on matters on which there are no halachic guidelines. In such cases, one should be guided by Torah hashkafa.
There are principles of Torah hashkafa that can serve as guidelines to all situations in life. However, a person giving an opinion must be certain that his opinion is based on pure Torah concepts. This can only be someone whose entire thought process are the result of Torah knowledge.
I have studied psychology, and it is possible that that my thinking may have been influenced by psychology. Even if I had adequate Torah knowledge, I could not be considered a daas Torah because I have been subject to concepts that did not derive from Torah.
Therefore, daas Torah is a talmid chacham who was never influenced by anything other than Torah."

wow! a most powerful humble simple straightforward honest self critique

Offline YitzyS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2021, 08:07:37 AM »
Rav Avraham Steinberg might be the single active doctor/rabbi that is truly an expert both in medical halacha (unparalleled) and the practice of medicine, he is a pediatric neurologist. I can't think of anyone else these days.

What about Rabbi Dr. Glatt from the 5 towns? He might not be a Talmid Chacham of the same caliber as Rabbi Dr. Steinberg (I simply don’t know, who am I to measure that?), but he’s certainly both a Rabbi and a Doctor.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline avromie7

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2021, 08:30:53 AM »
What about Rabbi Dr. Glatt from the 5 towns? He might not be a Talmid Chacham of the same caliber as Rabbi Dr. Steinberg (I simply don’t know, who am I to measure that?), but he’s certainly both a Rabbi and a Doctor.
Isn't he a politician?
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.