Author Topic: High Performance Laptop  (Read 2107 times)

Offline yitzf

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
High Performance Laptop
« on: May 12, 2021, 05:05:29 PM »
Looking for a powerful Windows laptop for data analytics.

Per this article, priorities would be the following
  • CPU
    - Clock: this is the top priority, preferably 3 GHz+
    - L2 and L3 cache size: the larger, the better
  • Memory Speed: at least 1600MHz, preferably 1833, 2133, or 2400 MHz
  • Memory Size: at least 32GB

Price is pretty much not a factor (company is will to pay what it takes to get me optimal performance)
Not doing any graphics/rendering work
Needs to be a laptop

Thanks!

Offline Yisroel Tech

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: High Performance Laptop
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2021, 12:13:18 AM »
While I might not have an answer for you, at least some direction.

First of all, you're specifying it's for data analytics but that's overly general, every type of software and every specific application has other ways of managing the resources (like using all cores to the max, utilizing GPUs, and so on.) So it might be helpful to include/look what's the more specific use case.

In regard to the article you're mentioning, it's quite old (updated 2020, but the CPUs mentioned are from 2011 and 2013) so it might not reflect technological advances both in the hardware and in the applications.

Offline yitzf

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2021, 12:52:58 AM »

First of all, you're specifying it's for data analytics but that's overly general, every type of software and every specific application has other ways of managing the resources (like using all cores to the max, utilizing GPUs, and so on.) So it might be helpful to include/look what's the more specific use case.

In regard to the article you're mentioning, it's quite old (updated 2020, but the CPUs mentioned are from 2011 and 2013) so it might not reflect technological advances both in the hardware and in the applications.

Thanks!

I'm using Power BI (which runs on the SSAS Tabular engine that's why I referenced that article). I don't believe much changed. The author of the article put out a book in 2020 with the same guidance.
It doesn't use the GPU at all.

From looking around it seems that the  i7-1185G7 or the AMD Ryzen R9 5900HX have the highest clock speed. For the Ryzan/Alienware I'm paying for a GPU that I won't use, but looking at the benchmarks it seems that the R9 5000 series has amazing performance (and a larger cache).
What are your thoughts?

Offline Yo ssi

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2021, 12:54:13 AM »

Agreed and well said, especially with AMD on the rise you want to get something you can get full use out of.
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/

Offline Yisroel Tech

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2021, 01:08:32 AM »
From looking around it seems that the  i7-1185G7 or the AMD Ryzen R9 5900HX have the highest clock speed. For the Ryzan/Alienware I'm paying for a GPU that I won't use, but looking at the benchmarks it seems that the R9 5000 series has amazing performance (and a larger cache).
What are your thoughts?
Spot on, I had the same dilemma when looking... between the AMDs and Intels.

But there are certainly better from Intel than the i7-1185G7 (which is a low-power typical mobile CPU.) The i9-10980HK has lower clock speed but 1) double the cores 2) higher benchmarks even in single core likely because it's full powered vs the low-powered i7-1185G7. Same idea is with the Xeon E-2286M (which is similar to the i9-10980HK.)

Offline yoshyosh

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 147
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2021, 06:29:15 AM »
Would you be better off getting a laptop with fast internet 10gb Ethernet and 5g to use AWS? https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/ConfigureView?langId=-1&storeId=10151&catalogId=10051&catEntryId=3074457345619889818&urlLangId=&quantity=1

I have good experience with HP z. https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/mlp/laptops/workstation-352501--1

While a GPU may not 100% required they still help remove cycles from the CPU and when using high resolution displays to disperse heat more evenly in laptops.

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2021, 08:04:22 AM »
Would you be better off getting a laptop with fast internet 10gb Ethernet and 5g to use AWS?

What does AWS have to do with anything?

I suggest the OP try to find a side-by-side comparison of a top Intel vs. AMD processor for this or a similar use-case. It’ll give better real-world numbers than a generic benchmark that targets more common use cases often related to graphics rendering and the like.

While ROI might be marginal, paying a premium for a server or business/gaming hardware might be worthwhile if maximum performance at any cost is the priority here. While the processor/ram might be identical between two machines, other factors mentioned like heat management, motherboard bus speeds, graphics rendering, and overall reliability/quality could give you an slight edge in real-world performance.

OS is also a consideration. Using a dedicated machine for this purpose with the least amount of extra bloat/software installed will improve real-world performance as well. Maybe even a Windows server OS, and if you’re a real power user than Core (without Desktop Experience UI bloat) install would enhance performance as well.

Why does it need to be a laptop? Can’t you VPN/RDP to an on-premise (or cloud?) server?
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline yoshyosh

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2021, 09:40:25 AM »
What does AWS have to do with anything?

Why does it need to be a laptop? Can’t you VPN/RDP to an (or cloud?) server?
AWS is a cloud service I have used for PowerBI.

Offline JuryDuty

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2021, 10:19:24 AM »
Good to see other people on DDF in the data/bi field!
Jury Duty: Nothing to do there but chill and write a TR. Kinda like the beach but missing the view and ocean breeze.

Offline ushdadude

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2021, 11:00:13 AM »

OS is also a consideration. Using a dedicated machine for this purpose with the least amount of extra bloat/software installed will improve real-world performance as well. Maybe even a Windows server OS, and if you’re a real power user than Core (without Desktop Experience UI bloat) install would enhance performance as well.

good point. My gaming laptop (that i use for digital dental scanning) came with mcaffee. What's a less bloaty alternative?

Offline Yo ssi

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2021, 11:03:23 AM »
good point. My gaming laptop (that i use for digital dental scanning) came with mcaffee. What's a less bloaty alternative?
Windows defender
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/

Offline ushdadude

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2021, 11:07:41 AM »
Windows defender
thanks. that's generally enough?

Offline Yo ssi

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2021, 11:11:07 AM »
thanks. that's generally enough?
No anti virus is enough IMHO, if you don't want to get a virus you gotta be careful what you visit / download etc.

That being said IME windows defender is better then McAfee.
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/

Offline yitzf

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2021, 02:03:09 PM »
While an actual side-by-side comparison for my use case would be optimal, unfortunately that's not feasible without ordering multiple laptops and doing the tests myself. Looking at the laptop benchmarks, the Ryzen 9 5900HX is significantly better (at least on paper) then even the top Intel i9 or Xeon processors.

I'm not a hardware expert by any stretch, but it seems like another issue is cooling, so while a Dell XPS will have a top intel chip, you won't see top performance under sustained loads because the chip will overheat and throttle itself. Gaming laptops are typically built for sustained loads, so from what I see the Alienware M15 Ryzen Edition R5 has the best of both worlds.

Is there any reason not to go with this?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 02:12:19 PM by yitzf »

Offline yitzf

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2021, 02:11:23 PM »
Good to see other people on DDF in the data/bi field!
Same here  :D

Would you be better off getting a laptop with fast internet 10gb Ethernet and 5g to use AWS?
Definitely something to keep in mind, but don't think I want to go that route now. I also briefly looked into the "Windows Virtual Desktop" from Azure.
With Power BI, on an ongoing basis, the model gets refreshed in the Azure cloud, it's really when designing where you need local power, and then it comes down to convenience as well.

Offline Jojo202

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2021, 11:21:36 PM »
No anti virus is enough IMHO, if you don't want to get a virus you gotta be careful what you visit / download etc.

That being said IME windows defender is better then McAfee.
I would pay to NOT have Mcafee. 'nuff said

Offline yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2021, 01:52:56 PM »
If you need performance in a laptop you would be much better served by a Ryzen, generally speaking as they are currently much more efficient than Intel and will run at a higher sustained performance for a longer time than Intel.

Offline yitzf

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2021, 02:04:43 PM »
If you need performance in a laptop you would be much better served by a Ryzen, generally speaking as they are currently much more efficient than Intel and will run at a higher sustained performance for a longer time than Intel.

Thanks. I ended up ordering the Alienware M15 Ryzen™ Edition R5 Gaming Laptop. The CPU is currently the highest on this list. Good choice?

I can always return it within 30 days if it's not what I need.

Offline yoshyosh

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2021, 02:14:36 PM »
Thanks. I ended up ordering the Alienware M15 Ryzen™ Edition R5 Gaming Laptop. The CPU is currently the highest on this list. Good choice?

I can always return it within 30 days if it's not what I need.
With most modern CPUs they have built in throttling so performance is more based on how well the laptop can cool. Alienwares are very good.