Author Topic: Aukey Kicked Off Amazon After Fake Reviews Scandal  (Read 17422 times)

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
Re: Aukey Kicked Off Amazon After Fake Reviews Scandal
« Reply #160 on: June 18, 2021, 01:28:35 PM »
my main concern and argument is for the vast majority of consumers, which you continually fail to address.
Because I wasn't addressing them or that argument :)
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #161 on: June 18, 2021, 01:32:37 PM »
No one's saying they invented the wheel, but allowing yourself to be used by an unethical company hurts you (and everyone else) much more than being used by ethical companies. You got "scammed" by being tricked into helping an unethical company dominate the market, lowering the overall quality of products available and raising the prices on all products in that market.

*By "you" I mean "me." I love RAVPower, and I've gotten a bunch of the deals over the years. I don't know that I wouldn't do it again, even knowing the damage being done. A dollar in my pocket now vs unknown costs later... dunno.
At the end of the day according to this logic we are "scammed" every time we buy something because of an ad. And I understand why it's so wrong of these companies to buy reviews, whether it's a major influence on the quality of products and price is surely up for debate. So are unions, child labor laws, outsourcing workforce to China. The bill of unethical things companies do that harm us in the long run is never ending.

And someone who's kid was put to work to make shoes for a major company will be much more hurt than an Amazon seller is at companies buying reviews, but that same seller will likely not think twice about buying those shoes. We all have things that affect us more than other things and that's what we are passionate about. Not a bad thing.

Offline yuneeq

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: June 18, 2021, 01:42:04 PM »
Because I wasn't addressing them or that argument :)

Ok then so we agree on the point that matters most to me. However I still believe that no matter the price, every consumer that is shopping for something, before they even purchase, is harmed by sellers that pay for fake reviews. Even if they end up benefiting from the seller, that is an unrelated transaction and does not mean no harm was caused. They benefited X and harmed Y.
Visibly Jewish

Offline EliJelly

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: June 18, 2021, 01:44:33 PM »
Talking of TaoTronics. I just recently purchased these airbuds on Amazon for $19.99 with clip coupon and code. The sound quality and noise cancelling is outstanding. You listen to the music and you feel like you're in the studio. I have the Bose 35 headphones too but I simply prefer to take these out of my pocket instead since the music quality is nearly as good! And it's VERY comfortable in the ears too.

My point is that you can get excellent products for insane prices from these Chinese companies that don't follow the MAP pricing rules the upscale brands stick to. I'm aware that they can afford to charge more given their best selling ranks, but a savvy consumer can get quality items for a bargain, and I hope this won't change moving forward.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2021, 01:48:08 PM by EliJelly »

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #164 on: June 18, 2021, 01:45:59 PM »
At the end of the day according to this logic we are "scammed" every time we buy something because of an ad.

Who hasn't seen an inferior product sell simply because it has some character printed on it?
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #165 on: June 18, 2021, 01:51:25 PM »
At the end of the day according to this logic we are "scammed" every time we buy something because of an ad.

Umm, that's a large leap you took. Ads definitely influence purchasing behavior, but it is legal. The free market determines how much companies pay for ads and how to price their products. However if a company makes false claims in ads, that is illegal and harmful to all consumers. Fake reviews are false claims.
Visibly Jewish

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 18, 2021, 02:00:18 PM »
Talking of TaoTronics. I just recently purchased these airbuds on Amazon for $19.99 with clip coupon and code. The sound quality and noise cancelling is outstanding. You listen to the music and you feel like you're in the studio. I have the Bose 35 headphones too but I simply prefer to take these out of my pocket instead since the music quality is nearly as good! And it's VERY comfortable in the ears too.

My point is that you can get excellent products for insane prices from these Chinese companies that don't follow the MAP pricing rules the upscale brands stick to. I'm aware that they can afford to charge more given their best selling ranks, but a savvy consumer can get quality items for a bargain, and I hope this won't change moving forward.

You got them for cheap because they are cheap to make and they are still making money. There's absolutely no reason to assume that having a level playing field would harm consumers. If you can find me an example of an industry where an illegally manipulated market offers consumers the best prices and options, I'd love to hear about it.
Visibly Jewish

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 18, 2021, 02:00:41 PM »
Umm, that's a large leap you took. Ads definitely influence purchasing behavior, but it is legal. The free market determines how much companies pay for ads and how to price their products. However if a company makes false claims in ads, that is illegal and harmful to all consumers. Fake reviews are false claims.
Sure it's a leap and it still falls under the definition of scam being offered imo.

Opening a new can of worms, where does it say it's illegal to offer free products for a review of the receivers choosing? Or did they do more than that, buy it themselves, only offer reimbursement if you give 5 stars?

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 18, 2021, 02:03:45 PM »
If you can find me an example of an industry where an illegally manipulated market offers consumers the best prices and options, I'd love to hear about it.
Amazon.com 🤣

Show me a better one. Seems to be doing pretty well last I checked and consumers seem happier than on other markets with quality and price.

Offline Lurker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #169 on: June 18, 2021, 02:04:59 PM »
Opening a new can of worms, where does it say it's illegal to offer free products for a review of the receivers choosing? Or did they do more than that, buy it themselves, only offer reimbursement if you give 5 stars?

Offered GCs which would be sent after reviews are posted. I don't think anyone expected to get their GC for a 1 star review.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: June 18, 2021, 02:07:20 PM »
Offered GCs which would be sent after reviews are posted. I don't think anyone expected to get their GC for a 1 star review.
So if they gave 1 star review they wouldn't get the gift card?

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #171 on: June 18, 2021, 02:11:48 PM »

I have no idea. I don't think the expose got that deep into it, and Amazon didn't give much info about their investigation.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: June 18, 2021, 02:12:28 PM »
Sure it's a leap and it still falls under the definition of scam being offered imo.

The latter. And yes, incentivized reviews are illegal without a disclosure. As you might know, Amazon prohibited incentivized reviews about 5 years ago, so no one writes a disclosure.
Visibly Jewish

Offline yungermanchik

• View Profile
  • Location: Previous Signatures: If you chapped hana'ah from a post, like it; You think you know the answers and things are the way they seem.. it just ain't so -The Rebbe from Lublin-
« Reply #173 on: June 18, 2021, 02:12:55 PM »
You're asking why product placement in retail is different from fake/incentivized reviews?
I don't understand why everyone here is conflating incentivized reviews with fake ones. There are often legitimately good products that we're just too lazy to leave a review, but with a small incentive, we'll overcome that laziness and leave the review. Whereas, a fake review is when you leave a five star glowing review on a garbage product just because of the reward.

While they are both against the T&C etc., fake reviews are scammy, objectively unethical, etc. but incentivize real reviews are not.

ETA: I see now that jj1000 started a discussion while I was typing.
Small people talk about other people.
Average people talk about things
BIG PEOPLE TALK ABOUT IDEAS.

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: June 18, 2021, 02:14:33 PM »

Of course they don't give it. But regardless, an incentivized review is illegal without a disclosure, and even with a disclosure, the ratings overview should disclose that some reviews were for free product.
Visibly Jewish

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #175 on: June 18, 2021, 02:18:56 PM »
I don't understand why everyone here is conflating incentivized reviews with fake ones. There are often legitimately good products that we're just too lazy to leave a review, but with a small incentive, we'll overcome that laziness and leave the review. Whereas, a fake review is when you leave a five star glowing review on a garbage product just because of the reward.

While they are both against the T&C etc., fake reviews are scammy, objectively unethical, etc. but incentivize real reviews are not.

Both are considered deceptive by the FTC. Studies show that incentivized reviewers give much higher ratings than average. It's also painfully obvious that an incentive will skew the way you perceive something. Shochad 101.
Visibly Jewish

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: June 18, 2021, 02:43:32 PM »
The latter. And yes, incentivized reviews are illegal without a disclosure. As you might know, Amazon prohibited incentivized reviews about 5 years ago, so no one writes a disclosure.
Thanks! Agreed.

Offline Yo ssi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: June 18, 2021, 03:18:11 PM »
Correct. They usually say a 5 star review and would probably pass a 4 star
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/

Offline WonderingYid

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: June 21, 2021, 12:22:06 AM »
I'm trying to figure this out. I've bought many RavPower power banks on sale from Amazon and was always very happy with them.

Can someone explain to me how I was scammed?

And BTW I don't read reviews.

Offline EliJelly

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: June 21, 2021, 12:32:49 AM »

And BTW I don't read reviews.
You don't have to read them but you bought it because it had 10k+ 4.5 star ratings.