Topic Wiki

For anyone who would like to help the families suffering, can donate here. Tizku L'mitzvos! May we always hear בשורות טובות!
https://www.charidy.com/cmp/karlintragedy/25980
« Last edited by yesitsme on May 30, 2021, 01:51:16 PM »

Author Topic: Bleachers Collapse In Karlin-Stolin  (Read 43967 times)

Offline yandmk

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 28
    • View Profile
Re: Bleachers Collapse In Karlin-Stolin
« Reply #280 on: May 30, 2021, 11:53:59 AM »
Doesn't the facility have liability insurance?
Highly doubt it since the building isn't complete. Still 3 more stories to be added.

Offline JlmBoi

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: May 30, 2021, 11:55:41 AM »
Highly doubt it since the building isn't complete. Still 3 more stories to be added.
Many shuls operate in unfinished buildings for years. Not limited to chareidi places. This and many other similar situations caused partly by the overly complex legality of things here is probably a reason why this and other (house, contents etc) insurance is not so common.
The chiddush of DDF is the way Dan Deals with all us crazies 🤪

Offline whacked1

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: May 30, 2021, 11:58:10 AM »
Apparently most didn’t feel the same as you. Currently at $112K.
https://www.charidy.com/karlintragedy/5234
B"h. I'm glad they are exceeded their goal. I made a donation (not to that page). Was just reflecting how it was portrayed in my mind.

Offline yesitsme

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: May 30, 2021, 12:00:05 PM »
I dont know how much is going for clothing, but i did hear that they transported ~235 patents and they didn't open buttons or zippers they just cut everything open in order not to waste time to evaluate, i dont know if this was done to all, but definitely to many

About medical expenses it doesn't work like in the usa where you can have better private insurance, it's either covered or not, if not and you want to see a better doctor you gotta pay in cash

Hand amputation was the most severe case but there's also facial surgerys skin peeled off etc,

And then there is the trauma ~1000 tumbled down + those that watched, they hired professional socail workers to get it out of there system before it does too much damage

They hired tutors to learn with the home bound

I dont know hard numbers or facts, this is what i heard
["-"]

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: May 30, 2021, 12:02:57 PM »
You can’t pull on peoples heartstrings raising money for saving limbs and psychiatric care, and then say the money went to cover clothing as tutors.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline yesitsme

• View Profile
« Reply #285 on: May 30, 2021, 12:04:17 PM »
You can’t pull on peoples heartstrings raising money for saving limbs and psychiatric care, and then say the money went to cover clothing.
What percentage is a shirt against a hand

The bigger percentage goes for what your heart goes out for
["-"]

Offline JlmBoi

• View Profile
« Reply #286 on: May 30, 2021, 12:05:44 PM »
You can’t pull on peoples heartstrings raising money for saving limbs and psychiatric care, and then say the money went to cover clothing as tutors.
That's downright righteous compared to what I've seen.

Offline Abebee

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 735
    • View Profile
  • Programs: National EE
« Reply #287 on: May 30, 2021, 12:09:47 PM »
I don't know exact number, but all I do know is that a Vadd of rabamin were put in place to distribute the money and everything must be approved by them.

Also שמואל מאיר בן זעלדא (should have a refuah shleima) recovery alone is north of 250K.

The 1 widow is also getting a large chunk out of his sum.

The list is endless, another young boucher lost all this teeth in the fall (his name wasn't even on the list for cholim since its "only" a cosmetic injury)

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: May 30, 2021, 12:12:43 PM »
That's downright righteous compared to what I've seen.

I dont want to throw out accusations based on what I don’t know and can’t prove about this campaign, but I should be entitled to asking these questions.

Offline yesitsme

• View Profile
« Reply #289 on: May 30, 2021, 12:12:49 PM »
One of the seriously injusred was released last Wednesday (in a wheelchair) was an American buchor luckily   he had health insurance which is very important when studying abroad
["-"]

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: May 30, 2021, 12:14:38 PM »
You can’t expect them to know exact numbers a week into a mass casualty incident. Nobody knows what exactly will happen, what long-term medical care will be, how long they’ll be out of work, and on & on. One trauma therapist on scene called it a “long & expensive journey”. ה׳ ירחם
But the fundraising needs to be done now when it’s still fresh & people are shaken up by it. If you wait till you have exact numbers you’ll need to remind people what it’s for. People tend to move on from tragedies.

Offline yesitsme

• View Profile
« Reply #291 on: May 30, 2021, 12:19:10 PM »

The quote is not mine

But the one that it was made for had much more then broken hands and feet

["-"]

Offline JlmBoi

• View Profile
« Reply #292 on: May 30, 2021, 12:27:56 PM »
I dont want to throw out accusations based on what I don’t know and can’t prove about this campaign, but I should be entitled to asking these questions.
I don't think it's a problem to ask it to have a healthy level of skepticism sometimes. In this case, if they are commiting to pay for therapy for everyone effectee that needs, that is massive massive cost.
IDK if I'm saying this because I trust Stolin more than others, but I don't think it's dishonest for them to strike while the iron is hot and fundraise more than they currently think they need. I don't think they are the type to do this without better than usual oversight and such.

Offline TimT

• View Profile
« Reply #293 on: May 30, 2021, 12:28:59 PM »
In this case, if they are commiting to pay for therapy for everyone effectee that needs, that is massive massive cost.
What about loss of income for extended period of time ? Does government cover that ?

Offline JlmBoi

• View Profile
« Reply #294 on: May 30, 2021, 12:32:42 PM »
What about loss of income for extended period of time ? Does government cover that ?
Most of the injured were under working age I believe. I think there is some level of coverage for that when appropriate. I'm very unsure about the level of coverage for families where a parent who was working needs to take off or stop working to take care of a debilitated child.
In general, you need to pay a company to get these benefits for you unless you want to go through 7 levels of hell to get it.
I don't think it was discussed on these forums but a IDF veteran set himself on fire recently, it's incredible how bad things here have to get for them to get any attention. There are routine protests of disabled people in front of the knesset about how they are treated. This country had a very long way to go with its attitude to helping even when by the book its being done.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2021, 12:37:25 PM by JlmBoi »

Offline yesitsme

• View Profile
« Reply #295 on: May 30, 2021, 12:35:57 PM »
I don't think it's a problem to ask it to have a healthy level of skepticism sometimes. In this case, if they are commiting to pay for therapy for everyone effectee that needs, that is massive massive cost.
IDK if I'm saying this because I trust Stolin more than others, but I don't think it's dishonest for them to strike while the iron is hot and fundraise more than they currently think they need. I don't think they are the type to do this without better than usual oversight and such.
Where do you get that info from? That they're fundraising more then they currently estimate  they will need?

They estimated well over 2 million at the beginning of the campaign but they put a lower goal at start it shouldn't be to far from reality of what can be raised
["-"]

Offline JlmBoi

• View Profile
« Reply #296 on: May 30, 2021, 12:37:05 PM »

Where do you get that info from? That they're fundraising more then they currently estimate  they will need?

They estimated well over 2 million at the beginning of the campaign but they put a lower goal at start it shouldn't be to far from reality of what can be raised

I don't know that. I'm saying I don't think it's so wrong even if they are.

Offline TimT

• View Profile
« Reply #297 on: May 30, 2021, 12:40:03 PM »
Most of the injured were under working age I believe. I think there is some level of coverage for that when appropriate. I'm very unsure about the level of coverage for families where a parent who was working needs to take off or stop working to take care of a debilitated child.
In general, you need to pay a company to get these benefits for you unless you want to go through 7 levels of hell to get it.
Even underage, if they’re in the hospital then a parent is probably there with them. Even some of the released ones probably still need someone to care for them at home or taking them to dr’s & therapy. I’m not so familiar with these cases specifically but a lot goes into these things.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: May 30, 2021, 12:41:07 PM »

While I can see the value of therapy, they amount they are paying and the way they’re going about it is probably a waste of money. Treatment for PTSD isn’t one-size-fits-all, and your average psych graduate without much experience can’t really make that much of a difference. Even with $500/hour career therapists with knowledge of multiple treatment techniques and a network to refer to, success is far from guaranteed.

Unfortunately I’m speaking from experience, having family relatives who were beneficiaries of multiple organizations that “paid for therapy”.

Offline yesitsme

• View Profile
« Reply #299 on: May 30, 2021, 12:45:18 PM »
While I can see the value of therapy, they amount they are paying and the way they’re going about it is probably a waste of money. Treatment for PTSD isn’t one-size-fits-all, and your average psych graduate without much experience can’t really make that much of a difference. Even with $500/hour career therapists with knowledge of multiple treatment techniques and a network to refer to, success is far from guaranteed.

Unfortunately I’m speaking from experience, having family relatives who were beneficiaries of multiple organizations that “paid for therapy”.
So you're suggesting to just let it roll....