Author Topic: Honeymoon: BOB, MLE, Or LIH?  (Read 92607 times)

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
Re: Honeymoon: BOB, MLE, Or LIH?
« Reply #210 on: April 24, 2012, 11:19:06 AM »
Meh.
I'm looking in December and the Halaveli is $1,000/night.
I have 7 figures of banked HGP points plus cc nights to use (besides for having 7 figures of SPG and HH and a lifetime supply of free Fairmont nights).

Are you honestly saying in my situation you would lay out $6,000 for 6 nights there just because you get a small pool?

#dejavu

The operative words are bolded.

Also, even someone with a boat load of HGP points (especially you of all people) should agree that getting .004-.009cpp is truly shortchanging ones self (bordering on criminal) considering it's rather easy to suck 5-6cpp out of HGP.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline chuchem

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: April 24, 2012, 11:19:58 AM »
you have a huge amount of points and are looking at december... Thats a huge difference... I am talking about now, so for the amount zithali or halaveli costs right now or use points, I would use cash. points also have a value and he could sell them later on or use them in the future... Even if you get a waterlvilla at the hyatt, its not comparable to the other 2. Do you really want to travel around the world, spend so much money on the trip and then stay at a "schwache" watervilla to save alittle?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime Plat, DL Dirt, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Avis Chairman, National EE, Hertz PC
« Reply #212 on: April 24, 2012, 11:24:42 AM »
The operative words are bolded.

Also, even someone with a boat load of HGP points (especially you of all people) should agree that getting .004-.009cpp is truly shortchanging ones self (bordering on criminal) considering it's rather easy to suck 5-6cpp out of HGP.
As I already said, if you can get it for $500-$600 then it's a no-brainer.

At $1,000 (the amount it is for when I would go) you are getting over 3cpp even after backing out the $350 upgrade, which well clears my point redemption threshold.

you have a huge amount of points and are looking at december... Thats a huge difference... I am talking about now, so for the amount zithali or halaveli costs right now or use points, I would use cash. points also have a value and he could sell them later on or use them in the future... Even if you get a waterlvilla at the hyatt, its not comparable to the other 2. Do you really want to travel around the world, spend so much money on the trip and then stay at a "schwache" watervilla to save alittle?
When you have mileage balances like mine you don't risk selling unless you're a broker, but I still agree it's only worth using when the value is there (i.e. when the competition is $1,000 not $500).

And I don't think you've read Gary's reports or FT pics if you think the PH MLE OWB is shvach in any way besides not having a silly little pool that you may use for a few minutes.  I don't think saving $6,000 is a little in most people's books.  Maybe in Switzerland that's a little, but that's mortgage payments for a year in CLE!
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline chuchem

• View Profile
« Reply #213 on: April 24, 2012, 11:36:58 AM »
I compared pictures of both resorts, compared watervillas and have to say... the park hyatt does  not compare. By the way, the watervillas at the hyatt have been build much before halaveli, you can see that as well.

Offline chuchem

• View Profile
« Reply #214 on: April 24, 2012, 11:39:02 AM »
I never said for 6k its worth it, but for 500 a night he should not even consider the hyatt. I can only say, once you are there you will use your own pool alot and not only a few minutes, but just the option to be able to jump in whenever you want is amazing. no walk to the main pool, no shlep....

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime Plat, DL Dirt, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Avis Chairman, National EE, Hertz PC
« Reply #215 on: April 24, 2012, 12:00:05 PM »
I never said for 6k its worth it, but for 500 a night he should not even consider the hyatt.
I've already said that earlier, seems like we're in agreement then :D
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #216 on: April 24, 2012, 12:04:26 PM »
As I already said, if you can get it for $500-$600 then it's a no-brainer.

At $1,000 (the amount it is for when I would go) ...

Didn't know you were actively trying to hit MLE.

How long would you go for? Routing?
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: April 24, 2012, 12:10:00 PM »
Didn't know you were actively trying to hit MLE.

How long would you go for? Routing?
An OWB (so MLE or BOB) has been a dream of mine as well.  Not actively looking, just speculating.
I find vacations to tropical places are more enjoyable when I see cold weather back home...

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #218 on: April 24, 2012, 12:12:27 PM »
An OWB (so MLE or BOB) has been a dream of mine as well.  Not actively looking, just speculating.
I find vacations to tropical places are more enjoyable when I see cold weather back home...

I hear, but December--at least in MLE--is rainy season IIRC.

Offline chuchem

• View Profile
« Reply #219 on: April 24, 2012, 12:20:19 PM »
dec-april is high season april-august is monsoon season, thats the rainy season.

Offline chuchem

• View Profile
« Reply #220 on: April 24, 2012, 12:21:41 PM »
But dont worry, we went in June and had 2x20 min rain. If you go high season, you would never get such good rates. But you could get 2 days of rain as well. But even when raining its still beautiful, 90 degrees, but you will get wet

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #221 on: April 24, 2012, 12:25:35 PM »
dec-april is high season april-august is monsoon season, thats the rainy season.

Oh, weird:

Quote from: Park Hyatt Maldives General Manager
May would indeed be our busy season.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: April 24, 2012, 12:28:18 PM »
Seems like February/March are pretty ideal for MLE:

Also see: http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090904121008AAgeZ2T

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: April 24, 2012, 12:31:39 PM »
As far as Tahiti, it's the opposite:

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #224 on: April 24, 2012, 12:39:13 PM »
Hashem Yaazor :)