Author Topic: Honeymoon: BOB, MLE, Or LIH?  (Read 132621 times)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: Honeymoon: BOB, MLE, Or LIH?
« Reply #120 on: April 10, 2012, 11:34:43 AM »
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #121 on: April 10, 2012, 11:35:33 AM »
What does the HH BOB charge for a confirmed cash or points upgrade to OWB?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline aussiebochur

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 10, 2012, 11:41:19 AM »
What does the HH BOB charge for a confirmed cash or points upgrade to OWB?
Of last reports, around $200/night.

But the problem is, with the new "enhancements", its really hard to book at a normal rate...

Offline aussiebochur

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 10, 2012, 11:42:46 AM »
http://www.spg.com/amex5for4
Splurge and go with the St Regis :)

Forget that, not available the dates youre looking for.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 11:50:53 AM by aussiebochur »

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #124 on: April 10, 2012, 11:42:57 AM »
I deleted my post to update it because I forgot about Hilton's "enchantment" of HHonors with Premium Room Rewards...

I'm not familiar with what you're alluding to...

(OT, but who wants to bet we will see lots of those at the Waldorf Astoria Jerusalem?)

If paying, it opens a whole new can of worms. Theres tons of properties, no need to stick with the big brands...

True, I had thought about that a couple days ago and it slipped my mind. Thanks for reminding me. Perhaps I'd be able to find an OWB in BOB for ~$500 a night at a smaller resort...
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #125 on: April 10, 2012, 11:44:11 AM »
http://www.spg.com/amex5for4

Thanks for the link!

Of last reports, around $200/night.

But the problem is, with the new "enhancements", its really hard to book at a normal rate...

I guess now I could use an explanation :)

200K for five nights + only $1,000 to get a confirmed upgrade to an OWB seems to be a great deal...
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline aussiebochur

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 10, 2012, 11:49:20 AM »
Hilton HHonors has a VIP award discount for elite members where 5 nights in a Cat 7 would cost 200K.

Then they "enhanced" the program and Premium Room awards which allowed members to redeem points for better rooms.
Once this came into effect, the all suite (premium room) properties upped the prices on almost all the rooms.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 10, 2012, 12:00:30 PM »
Hilton HHonors has a VIP award discount for elite members where 5 nights in a Cat 7 would cost 200K.

Then they "enhanced" the program and Premium Room awards which allowed members to redeem points for better rooms.
Once this came into effect, the all suite (premium room) properties upped the prices on almost all the rooms.
Are HHonors standard rooms capacity controlled now?
I see "KING GUESTROOM GARDEN VIEW", but only rarely is there a points option for it.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 10, 2012, 12:04:21 PM »

I knew about the VIP discounted awards (chart here), but not the "enhancements."

When you say some properties upped the prices, do you mean with regard to the points required? If so, does that automatically mean they'd charge more $$ for a buyup to an OWB as well?

Offline aussiebochur

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 10, 2012, 12:06:46 PM »
Are HHonors standard rooms capacity controlled now?
I see "KING GUESTROOM GARDEN VIEW", but only rarely is there a points option for it.
Something like that. Didnt manage to get through the 10's of pages on FT yet.
Some seem to have luck with the Diamond desk working something out but it seems pretty hard to get those redemptions now.

(May have to rethink buying loads of HH points...)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 10, 2012, 12:09:20 PM »
(May have to rethink buying loads of HH points...)
Yup, with capacity controls you'd have to be a fool to invest in HH.  I'm sure the WA J'lem will have 1 room for redemption per night at standard rates. Man does HH stink.

Offline aussiebochur

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 10, 2012, 12:13:15 PM »
I knew about the VIP discounted awards (chart here), but not the "enhancements."

When you say some properties upped the prices, do you mean with regard to the points required? If so, does that automatically mean they'd charge more $$ for a buyup to an OWB as well?
Once the rooms become "premium", the points required go off the charts.
But if you do book manage to book them, the buy up should still be in the same league.

IC Thalasso Bora Bora could also be an option.
Together with BOGO from Ambassador status ($200), you may be able to get all nights confirmed in OWB.
Straight points redemptions may also work as they only have 3 land villas (but you dont want to get stuck in them) for a decent price.

Get ready for your head to spin, http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-priority-club-inter-continental-ambassador/1161417-ic-thalasso-bora-bora-master-thread-merged.html

Offline aussiebochur

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 10, 2012, 12:14:03 PM »
Yup, with capacity controls you'd have to be a fool to invest in HH.  I'm sure the WA J'lem will have 1 room for redemption per night at standard rates. Man does HH stink.
How many million have you got? ;)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 10, 2012, 12:33:09 PM »
Seems like it's XPF 20K ($219) for HH Gold/Dia members to upgrade to an OWB, so if you can find standard points rooms, it's a good deal. (37,500 x ~.49=$183+$219=$402 per night for an OWB)

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 10, 2012, 12:37:07 PM »
Once the rooms become "premium", the points required go off the charts.
But if you do book manage to book them, the buy up should still be in the same league.

Anyway to tell if a particular room type at a hotel has "gone premium?"

IC Thalasso Bora Bora could also be an option.
Together with BOGO from Ambassador status ($200), you may be able to get all nights confirmed in OWB.
Straight points redemptions may also work as they only have 3 land villas (but you dont want to get stuck in them) for a decent price.

Get ready for your head to spin, http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-priority-club-inter-continental-ambassador/1161417-ic-thalasso-bora-bora-master-thread-merged.html

My head is already spinning :)

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #135 on: April 10, 2012, 12:44:19 PM »
Seems like it's XPF 20K ($219) for HH Gold/Dia members to upgrade to an OWB, so if you can find standard points rooms, it's a good deal. (37,500 x ~.49=$183+$219=$402 per night for an OWB)

Thanks for the calculation. Time to call to see if standard rooms are available for my dates...

By the way, you mention that each night is 37,500 points, but if I get the VIP discount, wouldn't it be 40k/night? (200/5?)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 10, 2012, 12:47:08 PM »
Why call? Just look online.
37,500 would be for 6+ nights.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 10, 2012, 12:53:18 PM »
Why call? Just look online.
37,500 would be for 6+ nights.

Thanks for the clarification.

Just checked 3, 4, and 5 nights and got a big zippo:

Offline aussiebochur

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 10, 2012, 01:22:55 PM »
Its like that for months...

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 10, 2012, 01:24:05 PM »
Its like that for months...

Haha, yep.

I guess that idea isn't gonna work :)