Author Topic: Honeymoon: BOB, MLE, Or LIH?  (Read 132546 times)

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
Re: Honeymoon: BOB, MLE, Or LIH?
« Reply #200 on: April 24, 2012, 10:46:58 AM »
Agreed, if you can get it for that price then go for it.  But if it's going to be much more then perhaps not.  Also don't forget to factor tax on the paid rates versus no tax with points.

Also it makes a difference if you have expiring cc nights or are using points.

I though the Hyatt charged $350 for the buyup though?

Good points. I'll be using an expiring suite night on the overnight in AUH at the PH. So I'll need to use another one at some point in the next few months. Shouldn't be such a "problem" ;)

$350 plus about 15-20% tax...
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #201 on: April 24, 2012, 10:48:54 AM »
Just realized my passport expires within 3 months. Is that going to be an issue?

Also, just read this on the interwebs:

"Most Arab or Middle Eastern countries will refuse entry to you if you have an Israeli stamp in your passport. Apply for a new one if this is the case. Gregeris advises: “Get a second passport and use one to travel to Arab countries and one to Israel. Remember however that second passports are valid only for two years.""

Need I be concerned?
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #202 on: April 24, 2012, 10:50:43 AM »
Just realized my passport expires within 3 months. Is that going to be an issue?
Yes
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #203 on: April 24, 2012, 10:51:28 AM »
Good points. I'll be using an expiring suite night on the overnight in AUH at the PH. So I'll need to use another one at some point in the next few months. Shouldn't be such a "problem" ;)

$350 plus about 15-20% tax...

My gut tells me with a suite night that I'd be able to talk the GM into confirming me into a OWB. YMMV though.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline chuchem

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: April 24, 2012, 10:55:11 AM »
Gary may be a travel expert, but Luxury Hotels aren't exactly his forte. His TR's are almost all on Hyatt's, Westin's and the occasional St. Regis. Hardly someone I would consult for a one time trip to the Maldives

+1

I have spent hours checking every detail on alot of hotels. I compared prices as well. Halaveli and Zithali were the 2 best ones if money is a issue to you. My wife and I enjoyed the private plunge pool alot, as the were no znius issues. Most days we just stayed in the villa and chilled and went straight into the water from our porch.... I am not saying the hyatt isnt nice, but it does not compare to either. The villas at Halaveli are huge, I think zithalis are even bigger...

Offline damaxer91

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: April 24, 2012, 10:57:15 AM »

"Most Arab or Middle Eastern countries will refuse entry to you if you have an Israeli stamp in your passport. Apply for a new one if this is the case. Gregeris advises: “Get a second passport and use one to travel to Arab countries and one to Israel. Remember however that second passports are valid only for two years.""

Need I be concerned?

No

But -3 months is def an issue

Offline chuchem

• View Profile
« Reply #206 on: April 24, 2012, 10:58:25 AM »
Dan will always stay in a brand or with points, but in the maldives this is wrong... Compare the hotels, look at the villas from inside and outside... consider the shlep to the hyatt, plane and boat (no seaplane experience)

You are flying around the world, dont get blinded by freebies or chain loyality. I am Hyatt diamond, SPG plat and after looking at the spg and hyatt options for 5 minutes, they were of my list

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #207 on: April 24, 2012, 10:59:49 AM »
Yes

Ha, awesome. Hope I can get it done in 3 weeks :P

My gut tells me with a suite night that I'd be able to talk the GM into confirming me into a OWB. YMMV though.

Trust me, I tried. But I'd be impressed if you were able to pull it off. The GM said "the entire property is suites" etc.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: April 24, 2012, 11:01:15 AM »
Dan will always stay in a brand or with points, but in the maldives this is wrong... Compare the hotels, look at the villas from inside and outside... consider the shlep to the hyatt, plane and boat (no seaplane experience)

You are flying around the world, dont get blinded by freebies or chain loyality. I am Hyatt diamond, SPG plat and after looking at the spg and hyatt options for 5 minutes, they were of my list
Meh.
I'm looking in December and the Halaveli is $1,000/night.
I have 7 figures of banked HGP points plus cc nights to use (besides for having 7 figures of SPG and HH and a lifetime supply of free Fairmont nights).

Are you honestly saying in my situation you would lay out $6,000 for 6 nights there just because you get a small pool?

#dejavu

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: April 24, 2012, 11:01:36 AM »
Trust me, I tried. But I'd be impressed if you were able to pull it off. The GM said "the entire property is suites" etc.
Did you try a phone call?

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #210 on: April 24, 2012, 11:19:06 AM »
Meh.
I'm looking in December and the Halaveli is $1,000/night.
I have 7 figures of banked HGP points plus cc nights to use (besides for having 7 figures of SPG and HH and a lifetime supply of free Fairmont nights).

Are you honestly saying in my situation you would lay out $6,000 for 6 nights there just because you get a small pool?

#dejavu

The operative words are bolded.

Also, even someone with a boat load of HGP points (especially you of all people) should agree that getting .004-.009cpp is truly shortchanging ones self (bordering on criminal) considering it's rather easy to suck 5-6cpp out of HGP.

Offline chuchem

• View Profile
« Reply #211 on: April 24, 2012, 11:19:58 AM »
you have a huge amount of points and are looking at december... Thats a huge difference... I am talking about now, so for the amount zithali or halaveli costs right now or use points, I would use cash. points also have a value and he could sell them later on or use them in the future... Even if you get a waterlvilla at the hyatt, its not comparable to the other 2. Do you really want to travel around the world, spend so much money on the trip and then stay at a "schwache" watervilla to save alittle?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: April 24, 2012, 11:24:42 AM »
The operative words are bolded.

Also, even someone with a boat load of HGP points (especially you of all people) should agree that getting .004-.009cpp is truly shortchanging ones self (bordering on criminal) considering it's rather easy to suck 5-6cpp out of HGP.
As I already said, if you can get it for $500-$600 then it's a no-brainer.

At $1,000 (the amount it is for when I would go) you are getting over 3cpp even after backing out the $350 upgrade, which well clears my point redemption threshold.

you have a huge amount of points and are looking at december... Thats a huge difference... I am talking about now, so for the amount zithali or halaveli costs right now or use points, I would use cash. points also have a value and he could sell them later on or use them in the future... Even if you get a waterlvilla at the hyatt, its not comparable to the other 2. Do you really want to travel around the world, spend so much money on the trip and then stay at a "schwache" watervilla to save alittle?
When you have mileage balances like mine you don't risk selling unless you're a broker, but I still agree it's only worth using when the value is there (i.e. when the competition is $1,000 not $500).

And I don't think you've read Gary's reports or FT pics if you think the PH MLE OWB is shvach in any way besides not having a silly little pool that you may use for a few minutes.  I don't think saving $6,000 is a little in most people's books.  Maybe in Switzerland that's a little, but that's mortgage payments for a year in CLE!

Offline chuchem

• View Profile
« Reply #213 on: April 24, 2012, 11:36:58 AM »
I compared pictures of both resorts, compared watervillas and have to say... the park hyatt does  not compare. By the way, the watervillas at the hyatt have been build much before halaveli, you can see that as well.

Offline chuchem

• View Profile
« Reply #214 on: April 24, 2012, 11:39:02 AM »
I never said for 6k its worth it, but for 500 a night he should not even consider the hyatt. I can only say, once you are there you will use your own pool alot and not only a few minutes, but just the option to be able to jump in whenever you want is amazing. no walk to the main pool, no shlep....

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: April 24, 2012, 12:00:05 PM »
I never said for 6k its worth it, but for 500 a night he should not even consider the hyatt.
I've already said that earlier, seems like we're in agreement then :D

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #216 on: April 24, 2012, 12:04:26 PM »
As I already said, if you can get it for $500-$600 then it's a no-brainer.

At $1,000 (the amount it is for when I would go) ...

Didn't know you were actively trying to hit MLE.

How long would you go for? Routing?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: April 24, 2012, 12:10:00 PM »
Didn't know you were actively trying to hit MLE.

How long would you go for? Routing?
An OWB (so MLE or BOB) has been a dream of mine as well.  Not actively looking, just speculating.
I find vacations to tropical places are more enjoyable when I see cold weather back home...

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #218 on: April 24, 2012, 12:12:27 PM »
An OWB (so MLE or BOB) has been a dream of mine as well.  Not actively looking, just speculating.
I find vacations to tropical places are more enjoyable when I see cold weather back home...

I hear, but December--at least in MLE--is rainy season IIRC.

Offline chuchem

• View Profile
« Reply #219 on: April 24, 2012, 12:20:19 PM »
dec-april is high season april-august is monsoon season, thats the rainy season.