Author Topic: Honeymoon: BOB, MLE, Or LIH?  (Read 132570 times)

Offline chuchem

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Honeymoon: BOB, MLE, Or LIH?
« Reply #220 on: April 24, 2012, 12:21:41 PM »
But dont worry, we went in June and had 2x20 min rain. If you go high season, you would never get such good rates. But you could get 2 days of rain as well. But even when raining its still beautiful, 90 degrees, but you will get wet

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #221 on: April 24, 2012, 12:25:35 PM »
dec-april is high season april-august is monsoon season, thats the rainy season.

Oh, weird:

Quote from: Park Hyatt Maldives General Manager
May would indeed be our busy season.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #222 on: April 24, 2012, 12:28:18 PM »
Seems like February/March are pretty ideal for MLE:

Also see: http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090904121008AAgeZ2T
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #223 on: April 24, 2012, 12:31:39 PM »
As far as Tahiti, it's the opposite:

Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #224 on: April 24, 2012, 12:39:13 PM »
Hashem Yaazor :)
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #225 on: April 24, 2012, 12:42:03 PM »
Hashem Yaazor :)
That's what I thought when I stayed at the S. Regis Princeville on the north shore of Kauai in December...didn't work :P

At any rate here's the Kauai numbers.  I do think it's a lot easier to get there and Kauai's beauty surpasses anywhere else I've ever been and there's a whole lot more to do there. 
No OWBs, but the GH LIH is fantastic and is in dry Poipu.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 12:46:07 PM by Dan »

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #226 on: April 24, 2012, 12:45:02 PM »
That's what I thought when I stayed on the north shore of Kauai in December...didn't work :P

There are no guarantees with this type of thing. One could go in December and be met with a deluge, or go in May and be met with pristine sunshine.

(I'll keep talking to try and convince myself :P)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: April 24, 2012, 12:47:45 PM »
There are no guarantees with this type of thing. One could go in December and be met with a deluge, or go in May and be met with pristine sunshine.

(I'll keep talking to try and convince myself :P)
Guarantees, of course not. But Gd did make the odds and it's often (though not always) futile to bet against them.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #228 on: April 24, 2012, 12:50:33 PM »
Guarantees, of course not. But Gd did make the odds and it's often (though not always) futile to bet against them.

Gotta take what Gd is giving me, and right now He is giving my wife 3 weeks of vacation in May :P

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: April 24, 2012, 12:54:18 PM »
I hear ya' though I would do BOB this time of year looking at those charts.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #230 on: April 24, 2012, 12:56:05 PM »
I hear ya' though I would do BOB this time of year looking at those charts.

I tried ...and I ran into the same problem I'd have if I booked MLE in December:

No points availability (or something egregiously expensive), or OWB for $1000+.

Besides, the flight availability wasn't so great (read: I didn't really want to fly to CDG to fly TN to PPT).

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: April 24, 2012, 01:13:24 PM »
There are OWB for wayyyyy less than that in BOB.  I even linked to it in this thread.
Have you tried holding a TN seat when they have 1 business seat to see if they open another one within a day or so?

Offline chuchem

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: April 24, 2012, 02:26:42 PM »
Most guys that traveled to the maldives in the rainy season, had a fantastic time and not to much rain. I also thought about this when going in June, but I knew I could not afford a top luxury maldives vacation at high season. I also read on tripadvisor about a few years ago, when it rained 5 days straight in december were people paid alot of money to get there, so nothing is sure in life... So we took our chances and didnt get disapointed at all. It does not help to look at weather forecasts, as the islands are so far apart, that it might rain in Male and be sunny in halaveli.... Yes, we took a chance and b'h had great weather. We had one of the top resorts to ourselfs, maybe 10 other guests, so service was top notch and flights were easy to get.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #233 on: April 24, 2012, 03:58:23 PM »
There are OWB for wayyyyy less than that in BOB.  I even linked to it in this thread.
Have you tried holding a TN seat when they have 1 business seat to see if they open another one within a day or so?

When I looked at OWB in BOB, I wasn't finding any for less than $800, but perhaps I wasn't looking hard enough.

Anyway, at this point it's too late for this time around.

Once I check off MLE on the bucket list, I'll look towards BOB :)

I hadn't tried the "hold 1, and hope for 1" trick with TN, but I it works well with Thai...

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #234 on: April 24, 2012, 03:58:49 PM »
Anyone know what the odds are of getting kosher means on EY and QR?

Offline damaxer91

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: April 24, 2012, 04:35:02 PM »
I went to MLE in July and barely saw the sun. Was still beautiful nonetheless

Anyone know what the odds are of getting kosher means on EY and QR?

Both airlines offer Kosher but I doubt it'll be anything decent. Prob long-life garbage

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #236 on: April 24, 2012, 04:37:17 PM »
I went to MLE in July and barely saw the sun.

<sigh>

Both airlines offer Kosher but I doubt it'll be anything decent. Prob long-life garbage

<sigh again>

For the equivalent of about $15,000 per ticket, they should hire a kosher chef :)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: April 24, 2012, 04:45:57 PM »
For the equivalent of about $15,000 per ticket, they should hire a kosher chef :)
Not too many jews are paying $15K for that ticket.
<sigh>
July=BOB. January=MLE. Year-round=LIH.
May as well enjoy paradise as it's meant to be seen.  That's the other beauty of points-no high season surcharges.
/.02

<sigh again>
Suck it up, pay the YQ, and fly BA via LGW if you care about food.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #238 on: April 24, 2012, 04:51:28 PM »
I'll pway weaally weaaaly hawd  :D

Offline damaxer91

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: April 24, 2012, 05:34:40 PM »
I usually bring food along in F and they are happy to freeze and reheat. Just dont forget extra foil