Author Topic: Honeymoon: BOB, MLE, Or LIH?  (Read 132527 times)

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
Re: Honeymoon: BOB, MLE, Or LIH?
« Reply #300 on: May 24, 2012, 11:47:55 AM »
Trip report? :P

Give him a day to try to relive ,and more importantly recover from, his flights and vacation

+1, and ftfy :P

as long as he is faster then i was

;D, I intend to be.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline chuchem

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: May 24, 2012, 11:49:15 AM »
We took grape juice and challah rolls. Worked splendidly. Also brought food in this.

@OP -- where is your 6 hour layover?

His flight is from MLE very late and the last seaplanes land at MLE at about 1630, so he will have a nice long layover at MLE airport.

By the way, even the lounge will not be a option as SQ only opens check in  max 3 hours before and the lounge is after passport control. Dont know what do tell you as waiting around before check in for a few hours will be a massiv pain.

Offline mochada

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: May 24, 2012, 11:53:18 AM »
+1, and ftfy :P

;D, I intend to be.

haha! or dream about?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #303 on: May 24, 2012, 11:53:27 AM »
Also, no problem with tallis/tefillin/siddur. They x-rayed ours bags (that had meat in them) but were apparently unfazed.
Is meat not allowed?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #304 on: May 24, 2012, 11:54:13 AM »
After rereading his post, I interpret his question to mean he has an SQ MLE-SIN flight at 11:30 PM.

I don't know what is involved in the transfer to the Waldorf, but our seaplane dropped us off at MLE at about 6:15 or so for a 7:30 PM MLE-DOH flight which was perfect.

Also, if the Waldorf has a lounge at MLE (like the Halaveli does), that's not a bad place to spend the time.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #305 on: May 24, 2012, 11:55:01 AM »
Is meat not allowed?

Pork isn't. And they might get bothered if it doesn't explicitly say "all beef" or the like.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: May 24, 2012, 11:56:21 AM »
Pork isn't. And they might get bothered if it doesn't explicitly say "all beef" or the like.

I was going to kid and say: Halal only :P
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #307 on: May 24, 2012, 11:56:26 AM »
If it's cooked how will they know?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #308 on: May 24, 2012, 11:58:08 AM »
If it's cooked how will they know?

They won't. They'll just junk it, most likely.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: May 24, 2012, 11:59:46 AM »
They won't. They'll just junk it, most likely.
And that didn't worry you?

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #310 on: May 24, 2012, 12:01:24 PM »
And that didn't worry you?

I shoulda been clearer. We didn't bring any cooked food -- We brought an extra-long spicy salami, hot dogs, deli, etc. (all still in packages)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: May 24, 2012, 12:04:10 PM »
I shoulda been clearer. We didn't bring any cooked food -- We brought an extra-long spicy salami, hot dogs, deli, etc. (all still in packages)
Sounds like a guys trip  ;)

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #312 on: May 24, 2012, 12:05:33 PM »
Sounds like a guys trip  ;)

Ha, my wife is a trooper, what can I say. (Likes roller coasters, too, can you believe the luck I have?  ;) )

Offline damaxer91

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: May 24, 2012, 12:26:42 PM »
We brought lots of meat etc. to MLE and had no issues

I had a friend that they took grape juice away from so YMMV

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: May 24, 2012, 12:27:38 PM »
We brought lots of meat etc. to MLE and had no issues

I had a friend that they took grape juice away from so YMMV
Cooked meat?
Do Muslims not drink grape juice?
Was the bottle properly labeled?

Offline Mocha

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: May 24, 2012, 12:29:26 PM »
Ha, my wife is a trooper, what can I say. (Likes roller coasters, too, can you believe the luck I have?  ;) )
Stop waisting time and get to that TR! Were all eagerly waiting!

Offline damaxer91

• View Profile
« Reply #316 on: May 24, 2012, 12:32:45 PM »
Cooked meat?
Do Muslims not drink grape juice?
Was the bottle properly labeled?

Cooked meat and Coldcuts.
No, but even though it was labeled as grape juice they insisted it was not allowed.

Offline brytch

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: May 24, 2012, 03:27:09 PM »
did you speak to the waldorf? The hilton used to serve the same meals i ordered from australia. As its the same chain, maybe they can arrange it for you...

Tefilin and Siddur were no problem by me. Dont take in any wine, every suitcase gets x rayed. Meat they might want to make sure its no pork, so make sure its labeled to be on the safe site.

My wait wasnt long, but that luck. There is nothing really to do there in these hours before your flight. Might be worth taking the ferry and getting a hotelroom in Male to freshen up and sit for a few hours by the pool or just spend some time in the disgusting  in MLE writing a trip report

I was debating if I should contact them about food. but if you're saying they may be able to arrange it themselves, in that case I might try e-mailing them. Was it the Hilton Iru Fushi or the Conrad Rangali which had kosher food?

As far as flights I am quite happy with my schedule now. going to the Waldorf I will take a 80 minute Seaplane, leaves 2.5 hours after I arrive in MLE, but the Waldorf has a great lounge, so shouldn't be too bad.

As far as return, I will take a Boat+Plane, that way I can stay at resort until 7pm and still make it for an 11.30pm flight back.

Is it worth trying to order wine through them? They charge such a premium on wines, I'm debating if it's worth it. 

Also wasn't sure if to mention kosher before arrival, as it seems they make most their money on food and beverage, so telling them in advance I'm coming on points and can't eat in your restaurant might decrease chances of upgrade etc...

After rereading his post, I interpret his question to mean he has an SQ MLE-SIN flight at 11:30 PM.

I don't know what is involved in the transfer to the Waldorf, but our seaplane dropped us off at MLE at about 6:15 or so for a 7:30 PM MLE-DOH flight which was perfect.

Also, if the Waldorf has a lounge at MLE (like the Halaveli does), that's not a bad place to spend the time.

http://www.waldorfastoriamaldives.com/images/uploads/2011_03_Hilton_Resorts_New_Lounge.pdf

Offline damaxer91

• View Profile
« Reply #318 on: May 30, 2012, 07:49:04 AM »
http://reethirah.oneandonlyresorts.com/specialoffers/save30.aspx?CID=em_rrhflash1_May12

Not a bad deal at possible the nicest resort in the Maldives....

This one works for 20% Off almost all year round when using a Citi Card:

http://reethirah.oneandonlyresorts.com/specialoffers/citibankspecial.aspx

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: May 30, 2012, 10:13:58 AM »
http://reethirah.oneandonlyresorts.com/specialoffers/save30.aspx?CID=em_rrhflash1_May12

Not a bad deal at possible the nicest resort in the Maldives....

This one works for 20% Off almost all year round when using a Citi Card:

http://reethirah.oneandonlyresorts.com/specialoffers/citibankspecial.aspx
For those curious, seems to be $1,166+++ per night for a water villa with no pool and $3,801+++ per night with a pool for dates in July and August.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 10:21:47 AM by Dan »