Author Topic: Honeymoon: BOB, MLE, Or LIH?  (Read 132620 times)

Offline aussiebochur

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
Re: Honeymoon: BOB, MLE, Or LIH?
« Reply #400 on: June 28, 2012, 10:16:11 AM »
They read like suspense novels, I only with the author would write them for other cities in the world.

I'd be more jealous of someone doing the entire Kalalau trail than just about anything right now besides going to outer space.

So which book do I start with?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #401 on: June 28, 2012, 10:17:10 AM »
So which book do I start with?
Kauai>Maui>Hawaii>Oahu.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline aussiebochur

• View Profile
« Reply #402 on: June 28, 2012, 10:19:14 AM »
Kauai>Maui>Hawaii>Oahu.
Library should have it, no? ;)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #403 on: June 28, 2012, 10:21:22 AM »
Library should have it, no? ;)
My local system doesn't carry it, but they were able to order it for me but that took a couple weeks.
Just depends on your time constraints.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #404 on: June 28, 2012, 10:37:48 AM »
OK, im convinced. Just put it on order at the local library :P
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline aussiebochur

• View Profile
« Reply #405 on: June 28, 2012, 12:30:05 PM »
They read like suspense novels, I only with the author would write them for other cities in the world.

I'd be more jealous of someone doing the entire Kalalau trail than just about anything right now besides going to outer space.

Can the whole trail be done in a (summers) day?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: June 28, 2012, 12:36:44 PM »
Can the whole trail be done in a (summers) day?
Definitely not, it's a multi-day trip and requires a camping permit.
Minimum would be 1 night camping.
The summer is the ideal time for it.
http://www.kalalautrail.com/

The book has a whole section devoted to it that will make you wanna do it, though I can't imagine when I'll have the chance.  The Waimea grand loop trail is probably as close as I'll get.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 12:47:36 PM by Dan »

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: June 28, 2012, 12:50:26 PM »
At least in LIH you can do tons of activities or something crazy like hiking and camping along the stunning Kalalau Trail which you will likely never find a woman to do with you.

What makes you say that?
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: June 28, 2012, 12:53:09 PM »
What makes you say that?
I'd wager that at least 95% of married jewish women wouldn't even consider going on a multi-day strenuous hike with primitive camping.
CMIIW folks.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #409 on: June 28, 2012, 12:54:26 PM »
I'd wager that at least 95% of married jewish women wouldn't even consider going on a multi-day strenuous hike with primitive camping.
CMIIW folks.

Gotta give a shoutout to my wife on that one... She'd def be in.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: June 28, 2012, 12:55:17 PM »
Gotta give a shoutout to my wife on that one... She'd def be in.
5%er
:D

Also obviously doing such a hike with young children would be impossible.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #411 on: June 28, 2012, 12:55:43 PM »

Online PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: June 28, 2012, 12:56:44 PM »
CMIIW folks.
I think the number is a lot lower. Btw there are also Jewish Men who wouldn't consider it  ;)
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: June 28, 2012, 12:57:46 PM »
CMIIW folks.

A 'dished-out friend of mine went with his wife on a honeymoon (6-8 months after their wedding) to the Grand Canyon, they slept in a tent for a week...
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: June 28, 2012, 12:58:44 PM »
From the fact that hundreds of frum people have "discovered" LIH via DD and not one has ever done the Kalalau Trail AFAIK I'll stand by my guestimate.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: June 28, 2012, 12:59:40 PM »
A 'dished-out friend of mine went with his wife on a honeymoon (6-8 months after their wedding) to the Grand Canyon, they slept in a tent for a week...
Camping in place is one thing, but doing it while doing a very strenuous hike is another.

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: June 28, 2012, 01:01:31 PM »
From the fact that hundreds of frum people have "discovered" LIH via DD and not one has ever done the Kalalau Trail AFAIK I'll stand by my guestimate.

How many of those hundreds knew what your saying about the KT? How many even knew it existed? (I didn't until you mentioned it in this thread).

What does a nice trip to Hawaii cost (in points when possible) all-inclusive?

Camping in place is one thing, but doing it while doing a very strenuous hike is another.

How strenuous? Do you think I'm fit enough?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: June 28, 2012, 01:08:49 PM »
It's in my guide to each island that I used to give to my concierge clients, and mentioned in passing here:
Free stuff on LIH:
-Check out my Kauai trip report:
http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/6088
-Get a convertible! Just breathing in the incredibly fresh air of Kauai  and being surrounded by the greenery, mountains, and ocean are my biggest pleasures on Kauai.
-You can spend days hiking in beautiful Waimea Canyon.
-The most famous hike in Hawaii is the Kalalau trail where you can hike the Na Pali coastline.
-Find a private stretch of beach out by Polihale.
-Check out the accessible waterfalls like Wailua and Opaeka (most other Kauai waterfalls require hikes/helicopter)
Take the driving tour of Kauai as laid out in Kauai Revealed It would be a shame to go to any Hawaiian island without the appropriate "revealed" book for each island.  This is not like any other guidebook you've ever read.
-If you're at the Grand Hyatt Kauai take advantage of all of their free activities, like learning how to Scuba, etc.
-Snorkel with the amazing fish, whales, huge green sea turtles, and monk seals!
-There's a nice blowhole to see, but not as impressive as the one on Maui.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: June 28, 2012, 01:12:48 PM »
More Kalalau discussion:
I want to hike the Kalalau trail but the 50+ year olds in my party wouldn't enjoy that too much. Is it worth doing only the first mile or so ?  Also, how hard is the trail to follow?   (The only hikes I've ever done have either been with tours or friends who knew what they were doing! )
We were there a month ago. Unfortunately a lot of the trail was washed out by the recent heavy (even by Kauai standards) rain. In fact the road at the northern part of the island just to get to the trail was flooded. Perhaps it will be more accessible during the dryer summer months.
When I was there, most of the trail was under construction so we could only do the first couple of miles. My wife and I headed up a bit before sundown and watched one of the most beautiful sunsets of our lives (about a mile or two in). The tricky part is trying to get down a pretty tricky trail when it's getting darker and darker (Bring flashlights!) I'll try to post a picture if I have a chance.
YD: post the pic!

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: June 28, 2012, 01:15:54 PM »
This is from an old edition of the guidebook, but FWIW: