Author Topic: Never received an email from an Amazon seller like this before, how to respond?  (Read 3951 times)

Offline fruithead

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Should I be returning my electric foot callus dead skin remover thing?

I have never received an email like this before and all the years that I have been buying stuff on Amazon. I don't remember if it was from Dan or from somewhere else but there was a deal for this on a website and it came out to a couple of dollars so I purchased it.

How do you think I should respond to this?

Offline E.c

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
I have gotten similar emails before when the seller made a price mistake. When possible I always canceled. Got the same email as you this morning but already got the product yesterday. They don't mention anything about returning it only to cancel.

Online Ver hut gazugt

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
I have gotten similar emails before when the seller made a price mistake. When possible I always canceled. Got the same email as you this morning but already got the product yesterday. They don't mention anything about returning it only to cancel.

It’s looks more like a scam.
They want you to buy and then cancel but they still get the ranking benefit if you cancel.
I could be wrong.

Offline Shmulie

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
My opinion is that it was only meant to go out to a small amount of buyers that will then give them a review and someone leaked the coupon code to a deal site

Usually when they say VIP customer list that's what they're doing

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
My opinion is that it was only meant to go out to a small amount of buyers that will then give them a review and someone leaked the coupon code to a deal site

Usually when they say VIP customer list that's what they're doing

Their loss. Next time be more careful when gaming Amazon.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline Flavored Seltzer

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
Should I be returning my electric foot callus dead skin remover thing?

I have never received an email like this before and all the years that I have been buying stuff on Amazon. I don't remember if it was from Dan or from somewhere else but there was a deal for this on a website and it came out to a couple of dollars so I purchased it.

How do you think I should respond to this?

So I think I got the story right, apparently this price was set by a intern (from the seller?) who set this price by mistake and is saying that if products aren't returned she (gender assumed) may lose her job...
Idk what I would do, curious to know if all the buyers got this email and what they will do.
I'm also wondering, does Amazon allow sellers to request that buyers cancel an order? And can the seller themselves cancel an order because of a price mistake?

Offline lcm

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
The "I will lose my job" echos of refund scams :)
Hope it's not the case

Offline NTorch

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 68
    • View Profile
I had a personal matter where one of my old clients was crying to me that Amazon had a price mistake on his product for about four hours and that he was out major money because he was going to have to fulfill the order despite Amazon's mistake.

He did not hire us to fight Amazon, nor is that the kind of law that I practice. But it does give me pause when I see what could be a true price mistake.

Online yuneeq

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
The entire email is a lie, this is the exactly the same terminology I see in Chinese seller scams all the time. Absolutely no reason to give benefit of the doubt that it was a price mistake. And no one is getting fired, the seller wrote this email.
Visibly Jewish

Online jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
The entire email is a lie, this is the exactly the same terminology I see in Chinese seller scams all the time. Absolutely no reason to give benefit of the doubt that it was a price mistake. And no one is getting fired, the seller wrote this email.
Post here pls :)

https://www.dansdeals.com/shopping-deals/amazon/electric-callus-remover-set-3-79-amazon-15-off-via-stacking-discounts/
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline drosenberg88429

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile

What was the ulterior motive of the "scammer" to have people purchase the item and then cancel?

Yes, you are right, this is an exaggerated dramatized sob story. The seller did not want to sell at this price to you, and now wants to cancel because he is losing money. He wants the buyer to request cancellation in order to not hurt his metrics. I do not see any nefarious scheme over here.

The morality of purchasing price mistakes or targeted promos against the seller's wishes is quite questionable.

Online aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
What was the ulterior motive of the "scammer" to have people purchase the item and then cancel?
They want you to buy and then cancel but they still get the ranking benefit if you cancel.
I could be wrong.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent

Yes, you are right, this is an exaggerated dramatized sob story. The seller did not want to sell at this price to you, and now wants to cancel because he is losing money. He wants the buyer to request cancellation in order to not hurt his metrics. I do not see any nefarious scheme over here.

The morality of purchasing price mistakes or targeted promos against the seller's wishes is quite questionable.
If it walks like a scam, talks like a scam, and acts like a scam, it is a scam. No need to start with the price mistake moralizing. There are lots of safeguards you can put in place when creating coupon codes.

Offline ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
If it walks like a scam, talks like a scam, and acts like a scam, it is a scam. No need to start with the price mistake moralizing. There are lots of safeguards you can put in place when creating coupon codes.

I'll take that from someone I believe knows a thing or two about these things.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline drosenberg88429

• View Profile

What is the objective of the scheme you are alleging?

Offline Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
What is the objective of the scheme you are alleging?

You ignored the first part of my post where the answer was provided, along with others who also answered. Besides, there are many other potential scams that I am not aware of. The only thing I can say for certain is that the email is mostly lies and reads like a scam.

Offline lakewood34

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 62
    • View Profile
if a seller cancels a order they get penalized on amazon account health rankings
if a buyer requests the seller to cancel and then the seller cancels the order there is no penalty
therefore the seller would like the buyer to cancel the order so his ranking does not get penalized

if there are a lot of sales to drive up the item ranking and then there are a lot of cancellations then the bots are not happy about that and the seller can get penalized so that was  likely not the intent here

It seems most likely that the coupon was supposed to go out to a limited number of people and then it became widespread and the seller is trying to have people cancel the orders

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
if a seller cancels a order they get penalized on amazon account health rankings
if a buyer requests the seller to cancel and then the seller cancels the order there is no penalty
therefore the seller would like the buyer to cancel the order so his ranking does not get penalized

if there are a lot of sales to drive up the item ranking and then there are a lot of cancellations then the bots are not happy about that and the seller can get penalized so that was  likely not the intent here

It seems most likely that the coupon was supposed to go out to a limited number of people and then it became widespread and the seller is trying to have people cancel the orders
Can't a coupon be qty limited?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline drosenberg88429

• View Profile
You ignored the first part of my post where the answer was provided, along with others who also answered. Besides, there are many other potential scams that I am not aware of. The only thing I can say for certain is that the email is mostly lies and reads like a scam.

You are saying as a fact that the seller gains in ranking when items are purchased and then cancelled, and are assuming that this was the seller's intention?

The email actually does not read like a scam. It reads like a price mistake or unintended promo which the seller wants to cancel without hurting his metrics. The seller does not seem to have gained from the process. (Whether anyone will actually lose their job or starve to death is irrelevant.)

Chalking it up to "many potential scams which I am not aware of" doesn't count for much.

Can't a coupon be qty limited?

People make mistakes.

Offline fruithead

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
You are saying as a fact that the seller gains in ranking when items are purchased and then cancelled, and are assuming that this was the seller's intention?

The email actually does not read like a scam. It reads like a price mistake or unintended promo which the seller wants to cancel without hurting his metrics. The seller does not seem to have gained from the process. (Whether anyone will actually lose their job or starve to death is irrelevant.)

Chalking it up to "many potential scams which I am not aware of" doesn't count for much.

People make mistakes.

My sincere opinion is that it reads exactly like a scam. An email that did not read like a scam would have said something like hi this is company x we recently posted a coupon to Amazon not realizing that we also had a secondary discount and this mistake has been very costly for our company. We would appreciate if you could cancel your order.

While I would be suspicious I think I would feel inclined to believe such an email. However let's think about what was written in this email. This email takes a different approach. Rather than asking you to understand that a company made a mistake and it might cost the money it instead tries to appeal to your sense of compassion and guilt.

That's a really weird thing for a company to put out.

Hi my name is Anna and I'm going to lose my job if you don't cancel your order? That literally sounds straight out of the playbook of every scammer in india. Hi ma'am I made a huge mistake and if you don't send money to this email address I'm going to lose my job!

Think about it isn't that a really weird appeal to make. Imagine if this intern named Anna and let's not focus too much on why a Chinese intern is named Anna, but that's fine, let's assume that it would possibly be true. Anna has made a terrible mistake. Do you think that the right response is for the company to have Anna send out a very personalized email about how difficult her life is and appeal to your sense of compassion and try and guilt you into canceling your order? I apologize but it sounds exactly like a scam. It's bizarre and creepy that you think that that sounds normal.

Try and imagine you own the company that sold things on Amazon and a guy who works for your company came and told you hey remember how yesterday you told me I should set up a sale, well it screwed it up and we're losing lots of money. There's lots of things you can do, you could fire the guy, you can email the customers asking them to cancel their orders, you can tell the guy he has to email customers explaining that a mistake was made, I could hear all or some of those things being done. Do you think you would allow him to send out an email saying hi I work for this company and they threatened me that they would take away my livelihood and hurt my family if I didn't correct this error? You would allow such an email to be sent out representing your company?

I might be cold and heartless but it sure does sound exactly like a scam