Author Topic: Never received an email from an Amazon seller like this before, how to respond?  (Read 3938 times)

Offline Yo ssi

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 60
    • View Profile
While it does definitely have the scam ring to it, and therefore I probably would ignore it, it is possible that being that it's a Chinese seller they are trying to send off a most impressive email. Being that any scammer would be trying the same, it sounds very similar.
It can very well be a Chinese seller made a legitimate mistake, and is trying their best to implore you to cancel.
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/

Offline yoshyosh

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 147
    • View Profile
Internships don't really exist in china. Internships don't pay well anywhere.

Offline Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent

The email actually does not read like a scam.

We're going to agree to disagree, this reads *exactly* like a scam. It's a textbook refund scheme text.

Offline drosenberg88429

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
My sincere opinion is that it reads exactly like a scam. An email that did not read like a scam would have said something like hi this is company x we recently posted a coupon to Amazon not realizing that we also had a secondary discount and this mistake has been very costly for our company. We would appreciate if you could cancel your order.

While I would be suspicious I think I would feel inclined to believe such an email. However let's think about what was written in this email. This email takes a different approach. Rather than asking you to understand that a company made a mistake and it might cost the money it instead tries to appeal to your sense of compassion and guilt.

That's a really weird thing for a company to put out.

Hi my name is Anna and I'm going to lose my job if you don't cancel your order? That literally sounds straight out of the playbook of every scammer in india. Hi ma'am I made a huge mistake and if you don't send money to this email address I'm going to lose my job!

Think about it isn't that a really weird appeal to make. Imagine if this intern named Anna and let's not focus too much on why a Chinese intern is named Anna, but that's fine, let's assume that it would possibly be true. Anna has made a terrible mistake. Do you think that the right response is for the company to have Anna send out a very personalized email about how difficult her life is and appeal to your sense of compassion and try and guilt you into canceling your order? I apologize but it sounds exactly like a scam. It's bizarre and creepy that you think that that sounds normal.

Try and imagine you own the company that sold things on Amazon and a guy who works for your company came and told you hey remember how yesterday you told me I should set up a sale, well it screwed it up and we're losing lots of money. There's lots of things you can do, you could fire the guy, you can email the customers asking them to cancel their orders, you can tell the guy he has to email customers explaining that a mistake was made, I could hear all or some of those things being done. Do you think you would allow him to send out an email saying hi I work for this company and they threatened me that they would take away my livelihood and hurt my family if I didn't correct this error? You would allow such an email to be sent out representing your company?

I might be cold and heartless but it sure does sound exactly like a scam

A lie doesn't equal a scam. The story about the intern getting fired may be completely fabricated, and just a way to drum up compassion. It's very likely that the actual scenerio was the first one you write about in your post.

Offline drosenberg88429

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
We're going to agree to disagree, this reads *exactly* like a scam. It's a textbook refund scheme text.
No it's not. The payment is being processed through Amazon and is just a reversal of original charge (you were not even charged yet, as the seller did not mark item as shipped), so the objective of the textbook refund scam cannot possibly apply here. Try again.

Offline Shmulie

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
I got a similar email a few months ago

Message from seller Sainttop:

Hello my dearest customers,

I have set up a 100% coupon, which has caused a total damage over 40,400 dollars. My manager wanted me personally responsible and demand a full damage compensation for all the losses, but I really can’t afford it. My family is about to be broken by this matter.

Could you please cancel/reject this shipment generously? On behalf of NOOA store, I am willing to offer a 50% discount on your next purchase of this specific hair clipper for you, or a 3 Dollar compensation if you do not need this product. As I am paying for all the compensation personally, I will pay for all the discounted price to make your purchase satisfied. In the short future, if you are purchasing from our store, please make sure to contact us, we will offer you a satisfied discount.

I appreciate your kindness, please contact me if further questions apply.

With best regards,

Lena

Offline Happy Gal

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
My acquaintance that worked for an amazon business once sent out a request to all buyers explaining a mistake they made when setting the price. Being an American company, I'm sure it was better worded and more proffessional sounding than this one, but mistakes like this do happen. 

Offline googwallet

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
A bit off topic but IME the best tool to remove dead skin on feet is a Callus Shaver like this. The electric tools just didn't do the job for me. Just be careful with the razor!

Offline Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
A bit off topic

Ok, what kinds of scam are you going to be posting about...
A but IME the best tool to remove dead skin on feet is a Callus Shaver like this.

Hmmm, I think we undersold the intro :P

Online sguitarist18

• View Profile
A bit off topic but IME the best tool to remove dead skin on feet is a Callus Shaver like this. The electric tools just didn't do the job for me. Just be careful with the razor!

Thank you, I needed a laugh in the middle of the day.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
Internships don't really exist in china. Internships don't pay well anywhere.

You mean a job in China is the Chinese equivalent of a lifelong internship elsewhere? :P
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)