Author Topic: Amazon to start automatically sharing internet connections After opt out period  (Read 2657 times)

Offline m65

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
communism

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
Prettysimilar to what all cable providers d when you use their router
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Yisroel Tech

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Way better than that.

It's much more limited on the amount of Bandwidth. It automatically also gives you as well the benefit of using your neighbor's bandwidth if you lose connection for some reason (ונתנו goes both ways...) And you can Opt Out if you want by changing a setting.

Offline yuneeq

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
Way better than that.

It's much more limited on the amount of Bandwidth. It automatically also gives you as well the benefit of using your neighbor's bandwidth if you lose connection for some reason (ונתנו goes both ways...) And you can Opt Out if you want by changing a setting.

This is a terrible option to add automatically. Privacy and security should never be compromised and definitely not before notifying customers or asking for consent. But then again Amazon is evil. Deserves a class-action lawsuit.
Visibly Jewish

Offline aygart

• View Profile
This is a terrible option to add automatically. Privacy and security should never be compromised and definitely not before notifying customers or asking for consent. But then again Amazon is evil. Deserves a class-action lawsuit.
Does it really compromise anything?

Offline Shmobaum

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: National EE, Hertz Presidential, Marriott Gold Elite, Daf Yomi Presidential Platinum Premier
Optimum does this. Not Verizon Fios.

Offline aygart

• View Profile
Optimum does this. Not Verizon Fios.
Exactly

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
Does it really compromise anything?

Who knows, but I definitely don't trust a company that steals bandwidth and adds these risky opt-out features without notifying customers.
Visibly Jewish

Offline aygart

• View Profile
Who knows, but I definitely don't trust a company that steals bandwidth and adds these risky opt-out features without notifying customers.

Would you trust cable providers?

Everyone seems  to know about it

Offline yoshyosh

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 147
    • View Profile
Seems like a bad choice if they want such a small amount of data add a very metered 3g antenna in Alexa devices similar to the kindle. That would allow a permanent connection. Anyway if one house loses internet for a period of time it is very likely that a neighbor would as well.

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
Seems like a bad choice if they want such a small amount of data add a very metered 3g antenna in Alexa devices similar to the kindle. That would allow a permanent connection. Anyway if one house loses internet for a period of time it is very likely that a neighbor would as well.

Exactly. This is simply Amazon stealing bandwidth from customers without telling anyone. Many ISP’s  have data caps and charge for additional usage. Must be wonderful to pay so random people can siphon your data.

Would you trust cable providers?

Everyone seems  to know about it

ISP’s are upfront about it and aren’t charging you to broadcast your internet. You can also stop service or change the router. Amazon is imposing this without notifying customers. I’m still waiting to get an email from Amazon as the owner of multiple echo devices. I only heard about this change from here.
Visibly Jewish

Offline aygart

• View Profile

Exactly. This is simply Amazon stealing bandwidth from customers without telling anyone. Many ISP’s  have data caps and charge for additional usage. Must be wonderful to pay so random people can siphon your data.

ISP’s are upfront about it and aren’t charging you to broadcast your internet. You can also stop service or change the router. Amazon is imposing this without notifying customers. I’m still waiting to get an email from Amazon as the owner of multiple echo devices. I only heard about this change from here.

How is optimum upfront about it? They never told me anything that I saw? You can change from your Amazon device too and even change it in the preferences which you can't do with optimum

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile

How is optimum upfront about it? They never told me anything that I saw? You can change from your Amazon device too and even change it in the preferences which you can't do with optimum

You can’t change what you don’t know. Optimum isn’t charging you for the extra data used but if they aren’t upfront about the wifi I don’t like that either.
Visibly Jewish

Offline Yisroel Tech

• View Profile
Search your emails for an email titled Echo Update: Amazon Sidewalk is coming soon. I got it already in Nov 2020. Very nice and detailed instructions.

Echo Update: Amazon Sidewalk is coming soon

Amazon.com <store-news@amazon.com> 
Tue, Nov 24, 2020, 3:30 AM

Sidewalk is coming soon to your Echo device. You can disable this feature at any time from the Amazon Alexa app.

Dear Yisroel,

A new feature is launching on your Echo device: Amazon Sidewalk.

Amazon Sidewalk is a shared network that helps devices work better. For example, if your device loses its wifi connection, Sidewalk can simplify reconnecting to your router and help set up new Echo devices. Sidewalk can also extend the coverage for Sidewalk-enabled devices, such as Ring smart lights and pet and object trackers, so they can stay connected and continue to work over longer distances.

When enabled, Sidewalk uses a small portion of your Internet bandwidth to provide these services to you and your neighbors. This setting will apply to all of your supported Echo and Ring devices that are linked to your Amazon account.

Learn more about Amazon Sidewalk.

Sidewalk is coming to your Echo device later this year, but you can disable this feature at any time from the Amazon Alexa app.

To disable this feature, follow these instructions. You must have the latest version of the Alexa app on your phone to proceed.
  • Click the appropriate link below on your mobile device to get the latest version:
  • To open the Alexa app, tap Open. Or tap Install or Update, then Open when complete.
  • Sign into your Amazon account, if prompted.
  • Tap More > Settings > Account Settings > Amazon Sidewalk.
  • Turn Sidewalk off.
The Amazon Echo Team

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
Search your emails for an email titled Echo Update: Amazon Sidewalk is coming soon. I got it already in Nov 2020. Very nice and detailed instructions.

Didn't get it
Visibly Jewish

Offline Yisroel Tech

• View Profile
Didn't get it
Or you deleted it... I love to think I'm special... but I'm usually not... if I got it then I believe all Echo users got it.

Offline Euclid

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Got it Nov 24, 2020

Offline Mf1

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
No indication in subject line that it's anything besides a random new feature that amazon has.

Offline Yisroel Tech

• View Profile
No indication in subject line that it's anything besides a random new feature that amazon has.
So what? You'd want it to say "Here is this terrible feature were enabling, turn it Off ASAP!"?  ;)

The email clearly (and not at all swamped with info) states "When enabled, Sidewalk uses a small portion of your Internet bandwidth to provide these services to you and your neighbors." And a big part of the email is how to Turn it Off if you want to.