Author Topic: Israeli Citizenship Assistance  (Read 1721 times)

Offline jleff

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Israeli Citizenship Assistance
« on: June 14, 2021, 01:30:58 PM »
ISO resources for Israeli born teenager- Advice to annul citizenship? Defer military? Expedite Passport?   Need some guidance for the short or long term.

Offline JlmBoi

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Israeli Citizenship Assistance
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2021, 07:46:18 AM »
ISO resources for Israeli born teenager- Advice to annul citizenship? Defer military? Expedite Passport?   Need some guidance for the short or long term.
Never heard of anyone successfully annuling citizenship. Deferring military depends on personal situation. It's nearly always possible one way or another, costs can vary. You are looking to expedite an Israeli passport?
The chiddush of DDF is the way Dan Deals with all us crazies 🤪

Online sillypainter

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2021, 07:58:03 AM »
Many people annule Israeli citizenships, including my Israeli born mother. Easiest way to do it is by saying that you are anti Zionist and you can't hold a passport of a zionist country.

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2021, 08:50:25 AM »
Many people annule Israeli citizenships, including my Israeli born mother. Easiest way to do it is by saying that you are anti Zionist and you can't hold a passport of a zionist country.

Can she still visit Israel? What are her negative repercussions after doing this?
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline Aerial Dag

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2021, 04:31:40 PM »
My dad was born in Israel and is an Israeli citizen. My understanding is that I'm automatically an Israeli citizen, even if I was born abroad (https://lawoffice.org.il/en/birthright-citizenship/). My sister wishes to get Israeli citizenship without actually moving there. Does anyone know if she can simply make an appointment for a passport and prove that our father was born in Israel and therefore she's already an Israeli citizen? Or does she have to apply for citizenship through the normal route?

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2021, 04:44:26 PM »

Are parents Israeli citizens?

If yes, parents can denounce citizenship and include minor children.

If not will need to wait until he's 18.

Did said teenager live in Israel as a teenager? (or stay in Israel for any extended period as a teenager)?

If yes, won't be able to renounce citizenship until doing military service or being exempted.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2021, 04:46:22 PM »
My dad was born in Israel and is an Israeli citizen. My understanding is that I'm automatically an Israeli citizen, even if I was born abroad (https://lawoffice.org.il/en/birthright-citizenship/). My sister wishes to get Israeli citizenship without actually moving there. Does anyone know if she can simply make an appointment for a passport and prove that our father was born in Israel and therefore she's already an Israeli citizen? Or does she have to apply for citizenship through the normal route?

Your father was required by Israeli law to update his family status with each child born. I am not sure what happens if said children reach adulthood without being registered by the Israeli parent.
-- Dan

Offline davidd75

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2021, 05:24:44 PM »
Can she still visit Israel? What are her negative repercussions after doing this?

during non covid times sure like any other American.
I dont think there are many glaring repercussions; however look how covid played out; who would have thought non-Israeli Jews would be barred from entering Israel!
also less rights maybe to a free burial?

positives - no need to renew Israeli passport and no VAT tax!

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2021, 05:33:32 PM »
also less rights maybe to a free burial?

positives - no need to renew Israeli passport and no VAT tax!

AFAIK free burial has absolutely nothing to do with citizenship. It has everything to do with residency and/or anyone that dies in Israel.

https://www.kolzchut.org.il/he/קבורת_המת_(הנפטר)

מה קורה אם תושב ישראלי נפטר בחו"ל והמשפחה רוצה להביאו לקבורה בישראל?   

ביטוח לאומי מסייע בנושא דרך מתן דמי קבורה לתושב ישראל שנפטר בחו"ל
אם לא ניתן לקבל את תשובת המוסד לביטוח לאומי באופן מיידי, באפשרות המשפחה לתת לחברת הקבורה בטחונות כספיים למשך 30 ימים כדי לאפשר את הבאת הנפטר לקבורה בישראל, וזאת עד להמצאת אישור תושבות מהמוסד לביטוח לאומי. לאחר קבלת התשובה, הערבות תיפרע או תבוטל.

בדרך כלל יהיה על המשפחה לשאת בתשלום עבור שחרור הנפטר מהמכס (אגרת משרד הבריאות), הטיפול בהוצאת רישיון קבורה והעברת הגופה משדה התעופה לבית העלמין. ייתכן גם תשלום לצוות המטפל בסידורי הקבורה.

שימו לב שהסיוע ניתן גם לתושב ישראל שאינו אזרח.
לפרטים בנושא הגשת בקשה להבאת גופה לקבורה בישראל ראו באתר השירותים והמידע הממשלתי

מה קורה אם מי שאינו תושב ישראל נפטר בארץ והמשפחה רוצה להביאו לקבורה בישראל?   

ביטוח לאומי ישלם עבור הסדרי קבורה רגילים של מי שנפטר בישראל, לרבות עובדים זרים ותיירים.

אם היתה לנפטר חובת תשלום דמי ביטוח לאומי, הביטוח הלאומי ישלם עבור הסדרי הקבורה רק אם הנפטר שילם את דמי הביטוח.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 05:43:02 PM by ExGingi »
-- Dan

Offline davidd75

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2021, 05:53:39 PM »
AFAIK free burial has absolutely nothing to do with citizenship. It has everything to do with residency and/or anyone that dies in Israel.

yes but wouldn't the nafka mina be if someone lives outside of Israel and he/she is not an Israeli citizen they would not enjoy any burial benefits whereas an Israeli citizen living outside of Israel would?

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2021, 06:05:50 PM »
yes but wouldn't the nafka mina be if someone lives outside of Israel and he/she is not an Israeli citizen they would not enjoy any burial benefits whereas an Israeli citizen living outside of Israel would?

Absolutely not. An Israeli citizen who does not reside in Israel and dies outside of Israel isn't entitled to anything. As a matter of fact, even if trying to buy a plot the determining factor (as I very recently found out) is whether one is a resident or not. With non residents being charged (in the case I am aware of) almost 5x the price that a resident would pay. It has absolutely NOTHING to do with citizenship.

Read the FAQ I posted above.
-- Dan

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2021, 10:10:57 PM »

It actually says cleary in the link I posted above that an Israeli citizen residing abroad isn't entitled to anything:

מה קורה אם מי שאינו תושב (או אזרח) ישראל נפטר בחו"ל והמשפחה רוצה להביאו לקבורה בישראל?   

תושב חו"ל הנפטר בחו"ל, גם אם הוא אזרח ישראלי, אינו זכאי לקבורה בחינם בארץ. במקרה זה, עלות הקבורה אינה נקבעת על-פי תעריף ומומלץ להשוות בין חברות קבורה שונות.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 10:49:19 PM by ExGingi »
-- Dan

Offline davidd75

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2021, 09:06:01 AM »
It actually says cleary in the link I posted above that an Israeli citizen residing abroad isn't entitled to anything:

I tried accessing that link but got an error message

404 - Page not found
Sorry! There is currently no page in "All Rights Reserved" with this name.

We want to help, so let's see what can be done about it:

If you typed the address yourself, please check that it is not incorrect
If you came here from a link on the site itself, it is probably broken and we will get it fixed soon.
If you came here from a link on another site, their link is probably incorrect. You can tell them ...
You can return to the main page of "All Rights Reserved".
Or you can search below:
Search
Information that may interest you
Did the page help you?

Help us continue to help you
Do you have more information or suggestions for updating this entry?
homepage
Guides and privileges
Recent updates
Blog
About us
help
Account login
العربيةEnglish

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2021, 09:43:46 AM »
I tried accessing that link but got an error message

404 - Page not found
Sorry! There is currently no page in "All Rights Reserved" with this name.

We want to help, so let's see what can be done about it:

If you typed the address yourself, please check that it is not incorrect
If you came here from a link on the site itself, it is probably broken and we will get it fixed soon.
If you came here from a link on another site, their link is probably incorrect. You can tell them ...
You can return to the main page of "All Rights Reserved".
Or you can search below:
Search
Information that may interest you
Did the page help you?

Help us continue to help you
Do you have more information or suggestions for updating this entry?
homepage
Guides and privileges
Recent updates
Blog
About us
help
Account login
العربيةEnglish

Some info here https://www.kolzchut.org.il/en/Burial_Fees_for_an_Israeli_Resident_Who_Died_Abroad

Will try to find a way to post the Hebrew link in a way that will work (combination of Hebrew and parenthesis in the URL probably creating a problem).
-- Dan

Offline shwarmabob

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2021, 10:37:19 AM »

She doesn't need to apply for citizenship because she is already a citizen. She needs to be registered as someone born to an Israeli citizen. This can be done at the consulate. She can apply for a passport at the same time. If she is an adult she can do this herself if she is a minor the parents (the non-Israeli included) have to be present. They need her birth certificate, the parents marriage certificate all with an Apostille. Getting the Apostille is a whole multi step procedure by itself, but it has nothing to do with consulate. During non-covid times getting the passport took about a month after submitting everything.
After registering her as a citizen, she will only be able to travel to/from Israel with a valid Israeli passport and she is also becomes obligated to the Tzahal. She will need to defer or get an exemption unless she wants to serve.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2021, 12:07:47 PM »

Fixed the link above (it was omitting the closing parenthesis).

Or you can use https://bit.ly/2UOfFIQ
-- Dan

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2021, 12:13:38 PM »
She doesn't need to apply for citizenship because she is already a citizen. She needs to be registered as someone born to an Israeli citizen. This can be done at the consulate. She can apply for a passport at the same time. If she is an adult she can do this herself if she is a minor the parents (the non-Israeli included) have to be present. They need her birth certificate, the parents marriage certificate all with an Apostille. Getting the Apostille is a whole multi step procedure by itself, but it has nothing to do with consulate. During non-covid times getting the passport took about a month after submitting everything.
After registering her as a citizen, she will only be able to travel to/from Israel with a valid Israeli passport and she is also becomes obligated to the Tzahal. She will need to defer or get an exemption unless she wants to serve.

I honestly don't get why anyone would want it. What are the benefits? Not needing a Visa to enter Russia?

While not being able to travel during COVID-19 might have been an inconvenience, I think the cons of having it are significant.

As for obligation to do military service. That is inaccurate. Israeli citizens who haven't resided in Israel since they turned 16 (IINM, might be off with the age) are not obligated to do military service unless they spend more than a certain number of days in Israel after they reach said age.

-- Dan

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2021, 12:53:48 PM »
Additional clarification regarding Israeli citizens not residing in Israel since turning 16:

https://www.mitgaisim.idf.il/כתבות/ראשי/שירות-ייחודי/בני-מהגרים-ובני-שליחים/#/
-- Dan

Offline Aerial Dag

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2021, 01:14:52 PM »
Thanks, that's super helpful, I'll pass that information along. She's 38 so there won't be an obligation to serve AFAIK.

As for why she wants to do it, I think it is more of an emotional thing. I myself have tried to avoid becoming a citizen because it seems more trouble than it's worth. Unfortunately my father is my only immediate relative with Israeli citizenship so I may have to come clean in order to travel there in October.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2021, 09:02:17 PM »
-- Dan