Author Topic: Vaccinating Children and Teens  (Read 7184 times)

Offline Lurker

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
Vaccinating Children and Teens
« on: June 23, 2021, 12:37:46 PM »
Anecdotally, it seems that the frum communities are largely not vaccinating 12-16 year olds. I'm curious to hear DDFers thoughts and what they are personally doing with their kids.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline S209

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
Re: Vaccinating Children and Teens
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2021, 02:20:40 PM »
Anecdotally, it seems that the frum communities are largely not vaccinating 12-16 year olds. I'm curious to hear DDFers thoughts and what they are personally doing with their kids.
DDFers have 12-16 year olds?
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2021, 02:27:05 PM »

I don't, but if I did I'd vaccinate them (even though they had COVID), obviously would clear it with DW and PCP first.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2021, 02:31:52 PM »

Since when has that stopped you from having an opinion?   ;)

There are a few of us, but you can give a theoretical answer.

Online Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2021, 02:39:23 PM »
Is this the thread where we discuss why J&J was paused for 6 cases of blood clots, but vaccinating 12 -16 year olds - who are much lower risk - has not paused for >300 cases of myocarditis?

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2021, 02:42:26 PM »
Since when has that stopped you from having an opinion?   ;)

There are a few of us, but you can give a theoretical answer.
Honestly, I haven’t looked too deeply at the 12-16 data. But I’m guessing I’d vaccinate. Perhaps I’d wait a few weeks/months to see if there’s any more data that comes in because COVID is not prevalent and therefore not a major concern where I live (especially for healthy young children) but if it were prevalent in the community I live in or we were traveling then I’d probably do so without delay.
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2021, 02:51:45 PM »
How about those who have been members for 13 years?
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2021, 03:14:36 PM »
Is this the thread where we discuss why J&J was paused for 6 cases of blood clots, but vaccinating 12 -16 year olds - who are much lower risk - has not paused for >300 cases of myocarditis?

Sure. The cases of myocarditis were in the 18-30 demo, but it's still a valid question. Is it possible that clots are a more significant overall health risk than myocarditis?

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2021, 03:18:01 PM »
Honestly, I haven’t looked too deeply at the 12-16 data. But I’m guessing I’d vaccinate. Perhaps I’d wait a few weeks/months to see if there’s any more data that comes in because COVID is not prevalent and therefore not a major concern where I live (especially for healthy young children) but if it were prevalent in the community I live in or we were traveling then I’d probably do so without delay.

I'm a fan of waiting if circumstances allow. Overnight camp was a circumstance I didn't believe allowed for waiting, though.

Offline Ergel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2021, 03:18:54 PM »
Sure. The cases of myocarditis were in the 18-30 demo, but it's still a valid question. Is it possible that clots are a more significant overall health risk than myocarditis?
22 YO just died in Israel of myocarditis
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2021, 03:22:08 PM »
22 YO just died in Israel of myocarditis

BDE. I think that means there have been 3 deaths so far.

The numbers I've seen thrown around show a risk of contracting myocarditis at between 1 in 3000 and 1 in 10000, with a survival rate of 95%. I don't know how accurate those numbers are.

Offline farvus nisht?

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2021, 03:45:22 PM »
After covid being around for more then a year I would say we can all agree that for children and teens the virus is not much more then a regular flu, so just to avoid covid I wouldn't vaccinate since it is yet to be clear the short term affects never mind the long term side affects, I will not let my child be part the human trial,

to avoid being a carrier not to infect older adults? they should all be vaccinated by now.

Online EliJelly

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2021, 03:48:54 PM »
I'm a fan of waiting if circumstances allow. Overnight camp was a circumstance I didn't believe allowed for waiting, though.
We did that successfully already without a vaccine.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2021, 03:51:36 PM »
We did that successfully already without a vaccine.

Define "successfully." A number of camps had outbreaks last year.

Offline biobook

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2021, 03:57:23 PM »
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/06/23/cdc-reports-more-than-1200-cases-of-rare-heart-inflammation-after-covid-vaccine-shots.html

"There have been more than 1,200 cases of a myocarditis or pericarditis mostly in people 30 and under who received Pfizer’s or Moderna’s Covid-19 vaccine, according to CDC data.
Roughly 300 million of the shots had been administered as of June 11, the agency said.
For both vaccines combined, there were 12.6 heart inflammation cases per million doses."

Online EliJelly

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2021, 03:58:01 PM »
Define "successfully." A number of camps had outbreaks last year.
If you'd ask me were there any problems you remember with camps operating normally last year, my answer would be no. But maybe there was, do you have any links by chance?

Online aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2021, 04:02:49 PM »
If you'd ask me were there any problems you remember with camps operating normally last year, my answer would be no. But maybe there was, do you have any links by chance?
Do you remember any problems with yomim noraim tfilos operating normally? With weddings operating normally? Where DO you remember problems?
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2021, 04:03:51 PM »
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/06/23/cdc-reports-more-than-1200-cases-of-rare-heart-inflammation-after-covid-vaccine-shots.html

"There have been more than 1,200 cases of a myocarditis or pericarditis mostly in people 30 and under who received Pfizer’s or Moderna’s Covid-19 vaccine, according to CDC data.
Roughly 300 million of the shots had been administered as of June 11, the agency said.
For both vaccines combined, there were 12.6 heart inflammation cases per million doses."
300m shots could easily mean 10m or 15m people 30 and under.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2021, 04:07:34 PM »

Lol. I hate to use this line again, but you need to define "problems." No problems doesn't mean no cases. The two I know that had a bunch of cases were business as usual throughout, and kept everything as quiet as they could. There were some news stories of outbreaks in other camps I'm not familiar with. I don't think an outbreak of cases would change much for most frum camps, and kids are most often fine, anyway. However, if you're the type of person who really doesn't want their kids to get Covid, overnight camp does present a situation where there is an (slightly?) elevated risk of infection.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2021, 04:09:10 PM »

300m shots could easily mean 10m or 15m people 30 and under.

+1. If there is a significantly higher risk to a certain age group, it would be helpful to narrow down the vaccination stats to that demographic instead of the 300m overall.