Author Topic: Vaccinating Children and Teens  (Read 7144 times)

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
Re: Vaccinating Children and Teens
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2021, 04:17:13 PM »
+1. If there is a significantly higher risk to a certain age group, it would be helpful to narrow down the vaccination stats to that demographic instead of the 300m overall.

That’s what I’m saying. The 1200 figure includes cases older than 30 and pericarditis as well. Lumping it all together confuses things and doesn’t allow you to isolate prevalence of the riskiest situations.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline biobook

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2021, 04:19:25 PM »
300m shots could easily mean 10m or 15m people 30 and under.
The graph in the article shows cases for each age, and it apparently is seen with every age group, just really high in age 16-24 or so.  This comes from a CDC presentation that just finished, so I imagine reporters are researching and writing articles on this right now.

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2021, 04:21:57 PM »
The graph in the article shows cases for each age, and it apparently is seen with every age group, just really high in age 16-24 or so.  This comes from a CDC presentation that just finished, so I imagine reporters are researching and writing articles on this right now.

Ah, I didn’t read the article...  :-[

Offline biobook

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2021, 04:28:38 PM »
The graph looks a bit like this one, showing adrenal androgenic hormones that zoom up around age 16-24 in men, then start to decrease.  Coincidence?  Wasn't there a postulated role of testosterone early on, when men were seen as most vulnerable?  Can't remember where that went.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adrenarche

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2021, 04:28:57 PM »
After covid being around for more then a year I would say we can all agree that for children and teens the virus is not much more then a regular flu, so just to avoid covid I wouldn't vaccinate since it is yet to be clear the short term affects never mind the long term side affects, I will not let my child be part the human trial,

to avoid being a carrier not to infect older adults? they should all be vaccinated by now.
And to avoid long-term COVID problems that many kids and adults suffer from.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2021, 04:39:58 PM »
The graph looks a bit like this one, showing adrenal androgenic hormones that zoom up around age 16-24 in men, then start to decrease.  Coincidence?  Wasn't there a postulated role of testosterone early on, when men were seen as most vulnerable?  Can't remember where that went.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adrenarche

Wasn’t it ACE2 receptor? Not just early on, it seems to still be a thing, though the science is way above my pay grade:

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/607179

Online Yehuda57

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2021, 04:58:04 PM »
I'd probably still vaccinate a 16+ year old (not a 12-16), but the fact that they are not pausing vaccines for <30 year old males after pausing J&J for much less stinks. I'm starting to think I'm a conspiracy theorist.

Offline farvus nisht?

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2021, 05:00:12 PM »
Do you know of any KIDS OR YOUNG TEENS that had COVID and are still suffering? I have kids in 3 mosdos all of them with 3-400 kids I am not aware of any case, I have friends that have kids and teen agers in lots of different mosdos  I've yet to hear a single case of someone suffering long term.

Though if am wrong that might indeed be a reason to vaccinate.

Offline Lurker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2021, 05:16:03 PM »
Do you know of any KIDS OR YOUNG TEENS that had COVID and are still suffering? I have kids in 3 mosdos all of them with 3-400 kids I am not aware of any case, I have friends that have kids and teen agers in lots of different mosdos  I've yet to hear a single case of someone suffering long term.

Though if am wrong that might indeed be a reason to vaccinate.

Yes. I have a close relative with issues, know of a few cases in my community, and have heard of many cases from all over. It's pretty well documented.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2021, 05:24:03 PM »
I'd probably still vaccinate a 16+ year old (not a 12-16), but the fact that they are not pausing vaccines for <30 year old males after pausing J&J for much less stinks. I'm starting to think I'm a conspiracy theorist.

IINM, the J&J pause was for 10-12 days while they waited on data. Once they had it, their risk assessment allowed it to continue. It's possible that they have enough data on the myocarditis risk to conclude that it is within the acceptable risk parameters without needing to pause.

Online EliJelly

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2021, 07:13:03 PM »
Do you remember any problems with yomim noraim tfilos operating normally? With weddings operating normally? Where DO you remember problems?
Sheesh, I wasn't on the moon at the time, so I witnessed people becoming sick and the ones that passed away. But we're discussing kids and teens here, and I have no recollection of this happening with kids last year due to camp. Do you?

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2021, 07:49:08 PM »
Sheesh, I wasn't on the moon at the time, so I witnessed people becoming sick and the ones that passed away. But we're discussing kids and teens here, and I have no recollection of this happening with kids last year due to camp. Do you?

I think he was just pointing out that things appearing to be business-as-usual means nothing. Why would you have noticed anything last year at camps if they didn't react to anyone getting sick? Check out the last few pages of last year's camp thread. Things happened, and BH nothing too crazy was reported (in terms of hospitalizations or r"l deaths). That doesn't mean camp is not a risk for infection.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2021, 07:54:01 PM »
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/06/23/cdc-reports-more-than-1200-cases-of-rare-heart-inflammation-after-covid-vaccine-shots.html

"There have been more than 1,200 cases of a myocarditis or pericarditis mostly in people 30 and under who received Pfizer’s or Moderna’s Covid-19 vaccine, according to CDC data.
Roughly 300 million of the shots had been administered as of June 11, the agency said.
For both vaccines combined, there were 12.6 heart inflammation cases per million doses."
Then again, COVID-19 appears to cause myocarditis in 2.3% of young males who are infected, leading to tens of thousands of deaths worldwide (possibly accounting for 7% of all COVID-19 related deaths).
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2021, 08:01:25 PM »
Then again, COVID-19 appears to cause myocarditis in 2.3% of young males who are infected, leading to tens of thousands of deaths worldwide (possibly accounting for 7% of all COVID-19 related deaths).

From the original article:

“Only an exceedingly small number of people will experience it after vaccination,” HHS said. “Importantly, for the young people who do, most cases are mild, and individuals recover often on their own or with minimal treatment. In addition, we know that myocarditis and pericarditis are much more common if you get COVID-19, and the risks to the heart from COVID-19 infection can be more severe.”
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Online EliJelly

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2021, 08:08:14 PM »
I think he was just pointing out that things appearing to be business-as-usual means nothing. Why would you have noticed anything last year at camps if they didn't react to anyone getting sick? Check out the last few pages of last year's camp thread. Things happened, and BH nothing too crazy was reported (in terms of hospitalizations or r"l deaths). That doesn't mean camp is not a risk for infection.

I don't disagree, but when asking
Anecdotally, it seems that the frum communities are largely not vaccinating 12-16 year olds.

Overnight camp was a circumstance I didn't believe allowed for waiting, though.
The answer is that nothing in people's recollections about last years overnight camps pushes them to vaccinate teens and kids this year.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2021, 08:42:42 PM »
The answer is that nothing in people's recollections about last years overnight camps pushes them to vaccinate teens and kids this year.

Do you think the cheshbon is that camp is low risk, or that Covid doesn't matter to kids and teens anyway, so the entire vax conversation is a non-starter?

Online EliJelly

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2021, 08:57:55 PM »
Do you think the cheshbon is that camp is low risk, or that Covid doesn't matter to kids and teens anyway, so the entire vax conversation is a non-starter?
Personally I'd think that if there is one place where spread is inevitable it is overnight summer camps. But people did it anyway because they weren't too concerned for their kids contracting the virus, and no-one regretted sending away their kids afterwards. That's why you didn't see people rushing to get their kids vaccinated before camp this year.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2021, 09:00:51 PM »
Personally I'd think that if there is one place where spread is inevitable it is overnight summer camps. But people did it anyway, and they weren't too concerned for their kids contracting the virus, and no-one regretted sending away their kids afterwards. That's why you didn't see people rushing to get their kids vaccinated before camp this year.

IOW, this is the prevailing sentiment:

...I would say we can all agree that for children and teens the virus is not much more then a regular flu, so just to avoid covid... I will not let my child be part the human trial

Online EliJelly

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2021, 09:12:56 PM »
IOW, this is the prevailing sentiment:
I don't think it's an agenda against vaccines at all.

Online shapsam

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2021, 09:26:06 PM »
This reason would only apply to someone that hasn't had Covid, just pointing it out.