Author Topic: Vaccinating Children and Teens  (Read 7182 times)

Offline Lurker

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
Re: Vaccinating Children and Teens
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2021, 09:28:38 PM »
I don't think it's an agenda against vaccines at all.

Neither do I. There's definitely vaccine skepticism and hesitancy. I had it, and still do to some degree, despite being vaccinated. The difference is, I feel Covid is a threat to everyone, regardless of their age, because of the effects of the virus, short and long term. Others feel that if the risk of death is virtually zero, there isn't enough benefit to mess with taking a new type of vaccine.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline shapsam

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2021, 09:30:10 PM »
Anecdotally, it seems that the frum communities are largely not vaccinating 12-16 year olds.
Most people in general are not rushing to vaccinate 12-16 year olds, not just in the frum community.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2021, 09:32:52 PM »
This reason would only apply to someone that hasn't had Covid, just pointing it out.

100%, and definitely a huge factor. I'm not sure how many people between 12-16 actually had Covid in our communities, but the feeling is that almost everyone had it.

Most people in general are not rushing to vaccinate 12-16 year olds, not just in the frum community.

While that may be true to some degree, from what I'm seeing, we have a lower participation than the general public.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2021, 09:41:10 PM by Lurker »

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2021, 10:01:28 PM »
This reason would only apply to someone that hasn't had Covid, just pointing it out.
True, but so many people presumed they or their kids had COVID based on exposure or having a cough...
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline incendia

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile

Offline yerushabubby

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 28, 2021, 12:14:41 PM »
Before they started vaccinating kids, we did antibody tests for most of our kids.  All but one came back with EXTREMELY high antibody levels (900-2000) - the one that didn't, most likely had Covid last purim.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #46 on: June 28, 2021, 12:26:10 PM »
the one that didn't, most likely had Covid last purim.
We're still doing this?
What was the antibody level?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline yerushabubby

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 28, 2021, 12:36:10 PM »
We're still doing this?
What was the antibody level?

Right after purim, he was feeling sick for several days, but was sure that he hadn't been exposed.  After Pesach, he found out that ALL of the boys he had gone around with had tested positive right after Purim.

As I said, the other kids had levels ranging from 900-2000.  Based on that, our pediatrician told us to hold off on vaccinating them.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 28, 2021, 12:37:29 PM »
Right after purim, he was feeling sick for several days, but was sure that he hadn't been exposed.  After Pesach, he found out that ALL of the boys he had gone around with had tested positive right after Purim.

As I said, the other kids had levels ranging from 900-2000.  Based on that, our pediatrician told us to hold off on vaccinating them.
Exposure is meaningless. The flu was also going around then.
If he has no antibodies and all other siblings do, very highly doubt he had covid.

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2021, 12:37:47 PM »

So why doesn't he have antibodies?
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline yelped

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 28, 2021, 12:40:14 PM »
So why doesn't he have antibodies?
In other words, it is much more likely that he didn't get Covid, than he has a auto immune disorder (c"v).

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 28, 2021, 03:07:44 PM »
In other words, it is much more likely that he didn't get Covid, than he has a auto immune disorder (c"v).

I don't know the odds of auto immune disorders, but not having antibodies isn't all that rare. I know a number of people who had Covid around that time who didn't have antibodies starting from 6 months post-Covid.

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #52 on: June 28, 2021, 03:09:02 PM »
I don't know the odds of auto immune disorders, but not having antibodies isn't all that rare. I know a number of people who had Covid around that time who didn't have antibodies starting from 6 months post-Covid.
And we do not know much about their immunity status.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 28, 2021, 03:09:35 PM »
Before they started vaccinating kids, we did antibody tests for most of our kids.  All but one came back with EXTREMELY high antibody levels (900-2000) - the one that didn't, most likely had Covid last purim.

Kids with current antibodies I can definitely understand not vaccinating just yet. I wouldn't lump the one without antibodies in with the rest, though. He deserves a separate risk assessment.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 28, 2021, 03:11:19 PM »
And we do not know much about their immunity status.

Personally, I'd vaccinate my own teen or young adult with no antibodies. I'd understand if a medical professional recommended otherwise.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 28, 2021, 03:12:51 PM »
They tested at 0 on a quant?
I have yet to hear about anyone with confirmed covid that tested 0.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 28, 2021, 03:19:14 PM »
They tested at 0 on a quant?
I have yet to hear about anyone with confirmed covid that tested 0.

I don't remember if they took a quant or qual. I just remember seeing it come up negative. Although I'm not sure that my calculations would change much whether it was a 0 or below the threshold.

Offline Alexsei

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
    • Travel & Kivrei Zadikim
  • Programs: COVID-23
« Reply #57 on: June 28, 2021, 03:29:01 PM »
Quebec
Jews ≠ Zionists
Palestinians ≠ Hamas
Satmar ≠ SatmarHQ

Offline EliJelly

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 28, 2021, 03:51:28 PM »
Are guys literally disputing the VERY highly likelihood that people in the frum communities NY/NJ who became sick right after Purim with loss of taste and smell, before tests were available, DID in fact contract the virus back then?? I mean the virus was rampaging like crazy in the tri state communities back then, and most of those who got sick with loss of taste and smell never contracted the virus again, and that's with zero precautions taken in the year after. You gotta live either in CLE or in S Florida to attribute equal likelihood of it being the flu.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 28, 2021, 03:54:10 PM »
Are guys literally disputing the VERY highly likelihood that people in the frum communities NY/NJ who became sick right after Purim with loss of taste and smell, before tests were available, DID in fact contract the virus back then?? I mean the virus was rampaging like crazy in the tri state communities back then, and most of those who got sick with loss of taste and smell never contracted the virus again, and that's with zero precautions taken in the year after. You gotta live either in CLE or in S Florida to attribute equal likelihood of it being the flu.
@yerushabubby said nothing about losing taste and smell  ::)