Topic Wiki

Donate here.
[i mg]http://crownheights.info/assets/media/featured/20081229-121.jpg[/img]
« Last edited by yesitsme on July 18, 2021, 01:46:35 PM »

Author Topic: Building Collapses in Surfside, FL  (Read 107521 times)

Offline srap

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
Re: Building Collapses in Surfside, FL, People Still Missing
« Reply #280 on: June 28, 2021, 05:53:17 PM »
Nice story, but color me skeptical. Did her part of the building actually come down, or was it in the part that remained standing?
If there was that much time (and time to get towels when the building is falling down ::) ), there would be more survivors from the part of the building that collapsed IMHO.
Remember, it was at 1:30am or so when most people are sleeping.  She was out and had just arrived home.
Others would probably have looked for pj coverings, shoes, waited for an elevator  ::) or start to take the steps.

Offline The Metzuyan

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: June 28, 2021, 05:54:29 PM »
Nothing here indicates his apt collapsed. The people in the half of the building that didn't collapse survived.

He lived in apt 111 which was in the section that collapsed. More info and links to other interviews this resident gave are below. (Good read and compilation as well)

https://www.reddit.com/r/CatastrophicFailure/comments/o7s500/room_711_actual_location_ring_camera_footage_is/
"Not everything that is thought should be said...."

Offline Lurker

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #282 on: June 28, 2021, 05:56:27 PM »
Stupid question.... Does any of it matter? She lived in the building, and BH is alive now. Who cares if she feels it was because of X or if her perception of the danger she was in is accurate or not? Maybe it's just me, but I'm happy she's able to tell her story and doesn't have family waiting to see if she's going to make it out from the rubble.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #283 on: June 28, 2021, 06:13:28 PM »
Stupid question.... Does any of it matter? She lived in the building, and BH is alive now. Who cares if she feels it was because of X or if her perception of the danger she was in is accurate or not? Maybe it's just me, but I'm happy she's able to tell her story and doesn't have family waiting to see if she's going to make it out from the rubble.
Sure, it's certainly great that she survived.
But like miracle stories of tzadikim, stories with invented or questionable facts cheapen the actual open miracles stories, for me at least.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Online Ver hut gazugt

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: June 28, 2021, 06:16:49 PM »
The facts here seem somewhat disconnected from reality.

The other articles do not mention the 4 hours.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #285 on: June 28, 2021, 06:17:42 PM »
Sure, it's certainly great that she survived.
But like miracle stories of tzadikim, stories with invented or questionable facts cheapen the actual open miracles stories, for me at least.

I hear you, and I'm usually the biggest skeptic when it comes to these things. My point is, right now, it doesn't matter. She lived in the building, she's alive, 6 kids get to continue growing up with a mother, baruch Hashem. Let's continue saying tehillim for the people whose families are still waiting for their good news.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #286 on: June 28, 2021, 06:19:09 PM »
I hear you, and I'm usually the biggest skeptic when it comes to these things. My point is, right now, it doesn't matter. She lived in the building, she's alive, 6 kids get to continue growing up with a mother, baruch Hashem. Let's continue saying tehillim for the people whose families are still waiting for their good news.
I mean, if you told me that her apartment was buried under 12 stories right after they left, it would leave a much bigger impression on me personally. But in the grand scheme of things, no, it doesn't matter.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline gozalim

• View Profile
« Reply #287 on: June 28, 2021, 06:23:31 PM »
Nice story, but color me skeptical. Did her part of the building actually come down, or was it in the part that remained standing?
If there was that much time (and time to get towels when the building is falling down ::)), there would be more survivors from the part of the building that collapsed IMHO.
you'd know better than us: is this the address of the other tower? and is this her husband's name:
https://www.whitepages.com/name/Daniel-Nir/Surfside-FL/PJ9ePXgqYn8

Offline gozalim

• View Profile
« Reply #288 on: June 28, 2021, 06:24:58 PM »

The other articles do not mention the 4 hours.
YWN added multiple details (I didn't see the tznius discussion/delay in some of the other articles either)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: June 28, 2021, 06:26:16 PM »
you'd know better than us: is this the address of the other tower? and is this her husband's name:
Nope, that's a few blocks north of the Champlain buildings.

Offline The Metzuyan

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: June 28, 2021, 06:31:47 PM »

Almost the exact same story below. This was from right after the collapse

https://twitter.com/OfficialJoelF/status/1407985402397462529

Lol just realized from your post that this is actually the same family. The interview I posted was from her son Gabe or Gavriel Nir.....
"Not everything that is thought should be said...."

Offline yuneeq

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: June 28, 2021, 06:32:40 PM »
If there was that much time (and time to get towels when the building is falling down ::)), there would be more survivors from the part of the building that collapsed IMHO.

Nothing here indicates his apt collapsed. The people in the half of the building that didn't collapse survived.

So as someone posted, the timeline is covered in this reddit thread, and has links to several interviews with Gabe Nir. The Nir family lived in Apt 111, and their apartment was part of the collapse. See pic of where some of the apartments are  - https://imgur.com/gallery/QDCvSGG

At 1:19 Gabe Nir felt the shaking, looked outside and saw the pool deck starting to collapse, He evacuated with his family and at 1:22 the building came down. This also lines up with Cassie Stratton's phone call with her husband, she said she heard noise, went to her balcony and saw the pool area caving in, next thing the line went dead. Miami Herald also has this sequence modeled out based on the experts
Visibly Jewish

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #292 on: June 28, 2021, 06:43:39 PM »
Start at 6:50

Visibly Jewish

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: June 28, 2021, 06:55:29 PM »
So as someone posted, the timeline is covered in this reddit thread, and has links to several interviews with Gabe Nir. The Nir family lived in Apt 111, and their apartment was part of the collapse. See pic of where some of the apartments are  - https://imgur.com/gallery/QDCvSGG

At 1:19 Gabe Nir felt the shaking, looked outside and saw the pool deck starting to collapse, He evacuated with his family and at 1:22 the building came down. This also lines up with Cassie Stratton's phone call with her husband, she said she heard noise, went to her balcony and saw the pool area caving in, next thing the line went dead. Miami Herald also has this sequence modeled out based on the experts
Amazing!

I guess they were renting?

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #294 on: June 28, 2021, 07:12:54 PM »
Amazing!

I guess they were renting?

Seems like it, in Collive story it says they moved in about 11 months ago. Guessing it would show up in sales records if they purchased when they moved in.
Visibly Jewish

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: June 28, 2021, 07:21:14 PM »
YWN added multiple details (I didn't see the tznius discussion/delay in some of the other articles either)
Right, nothing about those details (which seem a bit implausible) on COL.
https://collive.com/mother-escaped-with-children-right-before-surfside-tower-fell/

Online cgr

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #297 on: June 28, 2021, 07:26:51 PM »

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #298 on: June 28, 2021, 07:29:19 PM »
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/8877-Collins-Ave-PENTHOUSE-6-Miami-Beach-FL-33154/2071279562_zpid/?utm_medium=referral

Any takers?

Incidentally, there's speculation that a penthouse added after construction probably contributed to the collapse
Visibly Jewish

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: June 28, 2021, 07:33:49 PM »
1 was already filed, truly sickening  :-[
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2021/06/25/collapsed-condo-associations-attorney-calls-lawsuit-despicable/5352029001/

Disgusting. Maybe they’re hoping to be first class action to file, so if they class is approved then they represent anyone who doesn’t opt out of the class? Still disgusting, maybe more so if this is the case.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)