Topic Wiki

Donate here.
[i mg]http://crownheights.info/assets/media/featured/20081229-121.jpg[/img]
« Last edited by yesitsme on July 18, 2021, 01:46:35 PM »

Author Topic: Building Collapses in Surfside, FL  (Read 104923 times)

Offline ari3

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Building Collapses in Surfside, FL, People Still Missing
« Reply #420 on: June 29, 2021, 08:04:24 PM »
https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/miami-condo-collapse-shows-how-u-s-keeps-getting-disaster-ncna1272538
She does bring up interesting points and they don't have a simple fix the way our government is structured with 4 levels of govt. (federal state county and city) although in this case it likely would not have made a difference being that we are almost five days in, they have been working full force for a few days and unfortunately still haven't found anyone alive and not that many bodies yet.

Offline Kobe Bryant

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: June 29, 2021, 08:06:46 PM »
Prosecutors in Florida will pursue a grand jury investigation into the deadly collapse of an oceanfront condominium building, officials said Tuesday.

Miami-Dade County Daniella Levine Cava said at a news conference that she fully supports such an investigation. State Attorney Katherine Fernandez Rundle said she would bring the matter before grand jurors soon.

“I am going to urge them to take a look at it,” Rundle told the Miami Herald. “Whether they do or not, it’s completely their decision.”

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: June 29, 2021, 08:12:01 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised if that number dropped (somewhat) significantly. It seems high, considering 55 units were involved in the collapse, and some of them were empty.
I’m still don’t understand how it jumped from 99 to 150+

Offline Lurker

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #423 on: June 29, 2021, 08:12:25 PM »
Removing any double counting of names would probably not eliminate more than a few names.

That being said who is maintaining the list? How did the names get on the list? Were the names verified as missing before being added to the count or might there be names of people that own condos but haven't been there since March?

There was a list circulating soon after the collapse from the local community of 35 names of Jewish people missing. Anyone local know the status of that currently?

I looked at the list for literally 10 seconds and found a duplicate. I'm sure there are more than 3 or 4. I also think that an audit in general would clear some of it up.

("Nancy Kleiman" is actually Nancy Kress Levin OBM.)

ETA: Found another 2: Her sons, who were also confirmed as killed.

ETA2: all 3 of them are actually listed THREE TIMES.

ETA3: Found another 2. Cristina and Leon Oliwkowicz OBM. This is amateur hour. Utter ridiculousness.

ETA4: Another one. Brad Cohen is on there twice. I'm literally just glancing through.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2021, 08:21:01 PM by Lurker »
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline Deal Guy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: June 29, 2021, 08:28:26 PM »
Levine Cava said there are 210 people searching the rubble at the same time, adding the crews are working 12-hour shifts.

Seriously what good is 12 hour shifts? It's hard work, and it's hot outside.
They claim that there are many groups on standby, that haven't gone in.  So let them go in.
After 6 hours,  go get some rest and air conditioning, and let the next fresh group in.

Or is it like @jj1000 had said, that there are a lot of firefighters earning overtime..

Offline yuneeq

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: June 29, 2021, 08:38:52 PM »
Levine Cava said there are 210 people searching the rubble at the same time, adding the crews are working 12-hour shifts.

Seriously what good is 12 hour shifts? It's hard work, and it's hot outside.
They claim that there are many groups on standby, that haven't gone in.  So let them go in.
After 6 hours,  go get some rest and air conditioning, and let the next fresh group in.

Or is it like @jj1000 had said, that there are a lot of firefighters earning overtime..

Thought about this, but my guess is the standby crews are not as professional, so as long as the top-trained crews are able to work, you keep working them to the bone.
Visibly Jewish

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #426 on: June 29, 2021, 08:39:49 PM »
Does anyone have access to an official list? Every news site has a different list, and there are duplicates on all of them, but not all the same. USA Today has Chaim (Harry) Rosenberg on there twice, and adds in his daughter and son-in-law twice. I didn't see that on another list.

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #427 on: June 29, 2021, 08:41:37 PM »
They're auditing the list to see if any of the 149 are duplicates (Hebrew/English names that are actually the same person).

I looked at the list for literally 10 seconds and found a duplicate. I'm sure there are more than 3 or 4. I also think that an audit in general would clear some of it up.

("Nancy Kleiman" is actually Nancy Kress Levin OBM.)

ETA: Found another 2: Her sons, who were also confirmed as killed.

ETA2: all 3 of them are actually listed THREE TIMES.

ETA3: Found another 2. Cristina and Leon Oliwkowicz OBM. This is amateur hour. Utter ridiculousness.

ETA4: Another one. Brad Cohen is on there twice. I'm literally just glancing through.

Sounds about right. Already on day one I saw multiple duplicates even on lists as short as 13 people.
Visibly Jewish

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #428 on: June 29, 2021, 08:44:52 PM »
Sounds about right. Already on day one I saw multiple duplicates even on lists as short as 13 people.

I don't get it. We're 6 days into this and no one thought to actually check the list?? We have 45 people standing behind a guy giving a press conference every 3 hours, and none of them can confirm the actual number of people they are looking for?

Offline YitzyS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: June 29, 2021, 08:48:59 PM »
I don't get it. We're 6 days into this and no one thought to actually check the list?? We have 45 people standing behind a guy giving a press conference every 3 hours, and none of them can confirm the actual number of people they are looking for?
Welcome to DDF

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #430 on: June 29, 2021, 08:49:16 PM »

Did you find the official list? I would expect that to be pretty accurate
Visibly Jewish

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #431 on: June 29, 2021, 08:52:32 PM »
Did you find the official list? I would expect that to be pretty accurate

Have not found one. I don't believe there is one. It seems each media outlet put together their own, cobbled together from other outlets and whoever they could get an interview from. Some intern then counted up the names and came up with 159. I doubt there's more than 120.

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #432 on: June 29, 2021, 08:57:46 PM »
Have not found one. I don't believe there is one. It seems each media outlet put together their own, cobbled together from other outlets and whoever they could get an interview from. Some intern then counted up the names and came up with 159. I hope there's less than 120.

FTFY

Visibly Jewish

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: June 29, 2021, 08:59:47 PM »
Have not found one. I don't believe there is one. It seems each media outlet put together their own, cobbled together from other outlets and whoever they could get an interview from. Some intern then counted up the names and came up with 159. I doubt there's more than 120.
So the police, fire, & the mayor are basing it off a media list ?

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #434 on: June 29, 2021, 09:01:06 PM »
So the police, fire, & the mayor are basing it off a media list ?

If anyone can find the official list, it's you.

Offline ari3

• View Profile
« Reply #435 on: June 29, 2021, 09:16:19 PM »
I would assume the authorities are maintaining an official list its just not public.

That being as I asked before said who is maintaining the list? How did the names get on the list? Were the names verified as missing before being added to the count or might there be names of people that own condos but haven't been there since March?

Where you are finding duplicates and triplicates is from lists compiled by media outlets which are pretty meaningless. I would hope the police dept. (or whoever is in charge of missing persons) is not as sloppy as the media outlets doing cut and paste.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #436 on: June 29, 2021, 09:20:05 PM »
I would assume the authorities are maintaining an official list its just not public.

That being as I asked before said who is maintaining the list? How did the names get on the list? Were the names verified as missing before being added to the count or might there be names of people that own condos but haven't been there since March?

Where you are finding duplicates and triplicates is from lists compiled by media outlets which are pretty meaningless. I would hope the police dept. (or whoever is in charge of missing persons) is not as sloppy as the media outlets doing cut and paste.

Explain the logic behind your assumptions, please. Why would there be a non-public list?

Offline ari3

• View Profile
« Reply #437 on: June 29, 2021, 09:25:34 PM »
Explain the logic behind your assumptions, please. Why would there be a non-public list?
Privacy

Offline Deal Guy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: June 29, 2021, 09:28:21 PM »
Why is the list important, if they are off by 10 or not? If someone has family there, they are well aware who is missing and who is not, and how many times they are missing.
The only thing that matters now is why the work is not progressing quick enough.

Offline Euclid

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: June 29, 2021, 09:31:33 PM »
Why is the list important, if they are off by 10 or not? If someone has family there, they are well aware who is missing and who is not, and how many times they are missing.
The only thing that matters now is why the work is not progressing quick enough.
Maybe it's moving extremely quickly and the reason why there aren't many people being found is because there weren't many people in the building?

That's why a list could be important.