Author Topic: What do you suggest about my mailers situation?  (Read 3418 times)

Offline shemtoveariel

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
What do you suggest about my mailers situation?
« on: June 28, 2021, 09:34:15 PM »
So I live in the tristate area and I get many envelopes from organizations requesting tzedaka. I am not very wealthy and throwing lots of money around and usually just donate to the few organizations I personally know and appreciate their work and/or Torah.

I've been getting many letters and/or calendars from organizations I've never interacted before in my life. Some of them even send to our address one envelop to me and one to my wife, even though we have the same last name. The problem isn't the hassle of throwing it in the garbage, I feel bad that these companies repeatedly waste $0.30-$1 on mailing to me. I've tried contacting them to take me off their list and stop the mailings, but it hasn't worked.

Does anyone have experience or advice with saving these mosdos money and stopping the unproductive mailings?

Thanks

Offline ckmk47

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Re: What do you suggest about my mailers situation?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2021, 09:47:06 PM »
I'm jaded.  I say, tough luck on them.
They bought your name and my phone number, because enough people who are cold called, or get their calendar respond with a donation.  Over all, I assume they come out ahead.
But the expense is on them.
My time isn't important to them.  They don't care if my hands are dirty from doing work and I'm across my apartment from my phone and I stop what I'm doing, wash my hands and then see that it's spam. 
My favorite cause: cssy.org

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2021, 10:13:39 PM »
I’ve been meaning to post here that I once signed up for something from a website run by very reputable Jewish organization using a unique email address that I only used for that. Now I keep getting charity emails to that address from a gazillion sources. It really pains and upsets me that private information gets traded/sold/shared without my knowledge or consent.

This stuff is rampant in Jewish non-profits, this is just one specific personal anecdote.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline biobook

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2021, 11:13:06 PM »
Recent phone call:

She: Hello, I'm calling on behalf of Well-Known Mosad.  I'd like to speak to Mr. ______.
Biobook: Oh, I know just how you feel!  I'd like to speak to him too!  Unfortunately, he died 7 years ago.
She: (flustered) Oh. I'm so sorry.  Good bye.

Didn't stop to ask me for a contribution...

For mailings, I think they figure that the cost of printing and mailing unanswered letters is still less than the cost of hiring staff to clean up the mailing list, so they just keep sending them out.  That said, I have found two approaches that usually work.

1. Return their postage-paid envelope with a slip of paper (or their tear-off thing with your name and address) with a note:  "Please remove my name from your mailing list." 

Unlike outgoing solicitations, the incoming mail is carefully opened by an actual human, and seeing that they've just paid the return postage for an empty envelope seems to get their attention.  This usually stops  future mailings.

2. Okay, this is a more extreme step, but it has worked for me: 
Move.  Leave no forwarding address. 

ETA: Actually, you probably can leave a forwarding address with the PO, since the $0.30 nonprofit postage doesn't include forwarding.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2021, 11:34:45 PM by biobook »

Offline Yehudaa

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 111
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2021, 11:22:44 PM »
Or if all else fails maybe you can reply with a slip of paper saying "Moved to *someone else's address*, please change my address in your database" :)

Offline biobook

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2021, 11:35:48 PM »
Or if all else fails maybe you can reply with a slip of paper saying "Moved to *someone else's address*, please change my address in your database" :)
Good idea!  What's your address?

Offline EliJelly

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2021, 11:42:20 PM »
Recent phone call:

She: Hello, I'm calling on behalf of Well-Known Mosad.  I'd like to speak to Mr. ______.
Biobook: Oh, I know just how you feel!  I'd like to speak to him too!  Unfortunately, he died 7 years ago.
She: (flustered) Oh. I'm so sorry.  Good bye.

Didn't stop to ask me for a contribution...

For mailings, I think they figure that the cost of printing and mailing unanswered letters is still less than the cost of hiring staff to clean up the mailing list, so they just keep sending them out.  That said, I have found two approaches that usually work.

1. Return their postage-paid envelope with a slip of paper (or their tear-off thing with your name and address) with a note:  "Please remove my name from your mailing list." 

Unlike outgoing solicitations, the incoming mail is carefully opened by an actual human, and seeing that they've just paid the return postage for an empty envelope seems to get their attention.  This usually stops  future mailings.

ETA: Actually, you probably can leave a forwarding address with the PO, since the $0.30 nonprofit postage doesn't include forwarding.

Now please come up with an idea to automated phone calls and texts where non of the above is of help :(

Online Realshlomo

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2021, 11:46:45 PM »
Now please come up with an idea to automated phone calls and texts where non of the above is of help :(
1.Port your number to google voice.

2. Have it screen callers. A live caller would need to say their name to the recording and your phone rings with the recording.

Blocks most spam.

Offline JACKBLUE

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2021, 11:48:05 PM »
https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=124575.msg2440614#msg2440614

Offline avromie7

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2021, 11:58:02 PM »
Give them a non existent address
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline grodnoking

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2021, 12:04:44 AM »
1.Port your number to google voice.

2. Have it screen callers. A live caller would need to say their name to the recording and your phone rings with the recording.

Blocks most spam.
Annoying that it also screens you to whom you are calling.
I'm not who you think I am.

Online Realshlomo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2021, 12:05:39 AM »
Annoying that it also screens you to whom you are calling.
Not sure what you're talking about.

Offline grodnoking

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2021, 12:06:40 AM »
Not sure what you're talking about.
I called someone and when he picked up his phone it asked him to accept a phone call from me.
I'm not who you think I am.

Online Realshlomo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2021, 12:08:07 AM »
I called someone and when he picked up his phone it asked him to accept a phone call from me.
Weird. Never had that happen.

Sure he's not using the same system?

Offline yitzgar

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2021, 12:09:47 AM »
Moving works temporarily...

Offline TzviR

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
    • [b]Learn to play for a kumzits in 5 weeks!
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2021, 12:17:47 AM »

Ummmmmmm………. Ya, ok. :o :D

My  prizes from CV :)

Offline biobook

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2021, 12:28:32 AM »
Give them a non existent address
That would keep me from getting unwanted mail, but I also want to save the mosdos the cost of postage that won't lead to donations, and to save the life of the trees (or at least the few twigs) used for making the paper letters and envelopes.

Online YitzyS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2021, 12:32:16 AM »
Organizations Unite to Cut Postage Costs
By YitzyS

In an effort to cut the ever-increasing cost of postage, a number of tzedaka organizations have formed a coalition that will help minimize their shipping expenses. According to their new plan, a single package will be shipped each week to every US home that will include all the tzedaka letters inside. By cutting out the sipping costs of the individual envelopes, organizations plan to shave millions of dollars in operating expenses off their annual budgets.

“This process is a bold move for the chesed and tzedaka organizations across the county,” the director of Crown Heights' post office on S Johns, who was brought in to optimize the project, told DansDeals Magazine. “By setting aside our competitive nature and working together, everyone can save money, while also improving the experience for all Jewish families.”

He noted that the current plan was part of a multi-step process. The final goal, he said, was that each home should get just one paper mailed to them with check boxes to mark off which tzedaka one wished to donate to that week.

The new plan was put into motion after area residents started installing paper shredders at the front of their homes, with instructions for mailmen to deposit their mail straight into the shredder's mouths.

"Even if every once in a while we'll shred a stimulus check, big deal," Crown Heights residents Yehuda Fiftyseven told DDM. "It's not worth the hassle of sorting through all that junk to find find the money. How much is US dollars worth anyways nowadays?"

The new plan to relegate all solicitation mailings into one weekly box has been heralded as the way of the future.

"Now lets see if we can start sending kids to school one time for the whole week," Florida native JJ Onethousand noted.

Others questioned how YitzyS would end the already-too-long news tidbit that was starting to go south.

"Don't worry," he said. "I'm sure I'll find a way."

Offline biobook

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2021, 12:44:30 AM »
Moving works temporarily...
And thereafter, avoid giving out your address when not necessary.  Give tzedakah via cc or checks that have just your name printed, without an address.  Means you don't get a receipt, but not always needed.  For tax deduction, a canceled check or credit card statement is proof of cash donations, receipt from charity needed only if more than $250.

Online Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2021, 07:23:21 AM »
I’ve been meaning to post here that I once signed up for something from a website run by very reputable Jewish organization using a unique email address that I only used for that. Now I keep getting charity emails to that address from a gazillion sources. It really pains and upsets me that private information gets traded/sold/shared without my knowledge or consent.

This stuff is rampant in Jewish non-profits, this is just one specific personal anecdote.

I'm assuming it's one of these
https://crownheights.info/op-ed/732056/op-ed-how-to-stop-the-tzedaka-spam/
https://twitter.com/AhinAher/status/1392961953576927235

I'm posting publicly because it's not a secret, and has become absurdly bad. It needs to stop.