Author Topic: Car crash- what to do  (Read 5434 times)

Offline joe1234

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
Car crash- what to do
« on: June 29, 2021, 07:44:35 PM »
I was rear ended and as usual the other driver is at fault. if i go only through their insurance (geico) I need to drive down to their shop and get an estimate and a check and then i can go fix wherever I choose. am I supposed to or not supposed to go through my insurance?

Offline avromie7

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
Re: Car crash- what to do
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2021, 07:54:33 PM »
You need to just tell their insurance that you don't feel comfortable driving it and it's parked by you body shop of choice.
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline KSMH

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2021, 07:55:09 PM »
I was rear ended and as usual the other driver is at fault. if i go only through their insurance (geico) I need to drive down to their shop and get an estimate and a check and then i can go fix wherever I choose. am I supposed to or not supposed to go through my insurance?
Try first direct with theirs, if they don't accept fault then u can fight or involve ur insurance to do it for u.
Always praying for delayed baggage.

Offline etech0

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2021, 08:03:29 PM »
Do they offer the option to do a "Geico Easy Estimate" by taking pics using their app? Or is that only when you are the policy holder?
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2021, 08:15:25 PM »
In some states they cannot require you to use their shop
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline coffeebean

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2021, 08:24:35 PM »
Please tell me you got a police report

Offline joe1234

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2021, 10:14:46 PM »
Please tell me you got a police report
Try first direct with theirs, if they don't accept fault then u can fight or involve ur insurance to do it for u.
got a police report and geico already accepted that their side is at fault and I am not at fault.

Offline joe1234

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2021, 10:17:38 PM »
Do they offer the option to do a "Geico Easy Estimate" by taking pics using their app? Or is that only when you are the policy holder?
they told me I need to bring it in to their shop... I can also bring it into viggy's (Lakewood), but then they fix it and keep the rest of the money... I'm not even sure I want to fix it as I have a damage waiver...

Offline joe1234

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2021, 10:19:06 PM »
In some states they cannot require you to use their shop
it's in NJ. how does it work there?

Offline joe1234

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2021, 10:20:16 PM »
You need to just tell their insurance that you don't feel comfortable driving it and it's parked by you body shop of choice.
I wasn't comfortable lying... after all it was a minor fender bender...

Offline M218

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2021, 10:22:50 PM »
I wasn't comfortable lying... after all it was a minor fender bender...
why is “you don’t feel comfortable” lying?

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline joe1234

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2021, 10:28:03 PM »
https://law.justia.com/codes/new-jersey/2009/title-17/17-33b/17-33b-36-1/
they said I can use any shop I want to fix my car but to get an estimate and a check directly to me i would need to go down to their body shop to asses the damage...

Offline Davidthebest

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2110
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2021, 10:37:38 PM »
I had with geico the same story a few years ago. However they offered me to come down to me to estimate the damage. Keep me in mind they will record the  Millage of your vehicle.

As a side note, Since I have a damage waiver I never make a police report or charge someone for minor stuff. I don't have the heart to ruin someone's rate or taking their money out of pocket . when clearly I will not be using it to fix the damage . Not judging just saying .

Offline joe1234

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2021, 10:40:05 PM »
I had with geico the same story a few years ago. However they offered me to come down to me to estimate the damage. Keep me in mind they will record the  Millage of your vehicle.

As a side note, Since I have a damage waiver I never make a police report or charge someone for minor stuff. I don't have the heart to ruin someone's rate or taking their money out of pocket . when clearly I will not be using it to fix the damage . Not judging just saying .
the other guy used his insurance for his own car... I may plan on fixing a little...

Offline etech0

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2021, 10:42:58 PM »
You also don't always know of the damage is only minor until you get it checked out
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Offline Shmulie

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2021, 12:12:13 AM »
Insurance check is supposed to be written out to you and the finance company. You're not supposed to be able to just keep the check

Offline srap

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2021, 12:30:01 AM »
Geico can send someone out to you or to your shop to look at the car and give an estimate of damages.  Some companies will write a check directly to you, others to your shop.  You may be able to request which way you want.  I have seen it both ways.  You also have the right to obtain an estimate at YOUR mechanic to send in and not go to their mechanic.  They will want to check out the car (see above) and will want to negotiate with your mechanic if they feel it is too high.  If you find further damages after the fact, you can request an additional payment.  Hatzlocho.

Offline joe1234

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2021, 08:20:14 AM »
Geico can send someone out to you or to your shop to look at the car and give an estimate of damages.  Some companies will write a check directly to you, others to your shop.  You may be able to request which way you want.  I have seen it both ways.  You also have the right to obtain an estimate at YOUR mechanic to send in and not go to their mechanic.  They will want to check out the car (see above) and will want to negotiate with your mechanic if they feel it is too high.  If you find further damages after the fact, you can request an additional payment.  Hatzlocho.
Can’t get an estimate at my mechanic if I’m not sure I’m fixing it at all…
Geico said they won’t send someone down and I have to bring it to their mechanic to get an estimate and check.

Offline srap

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2021, 09:45:27 AM »
Can’t get an estimate at my mechanic if I’m not sure I’m fixing it at all…
Geico said they won’t send someone down and I have to bring it to their mechanic to get an estimate and check.
I would absolutely take it to a mechanic BEFORE Geico looks at your car.  In fact, I would take it to at least two, if not three, mechanics.  You won't know if you are fixing your car until you know how much damage was done.  Are you an expert in figuring out how may screws, bolts and unseen mechanical parts are necessary to fix your car?  Any mechanic who gives you an estimate has the potential of being chosen to fix the car.  You won't know until you get the estimate.

To be yasher, you can tell the mechanics that you want to get an estimate to possibly fix your car.  (I probably would not tell them I am getting more than one estimate.)  You may be surprised.  You may find yourself a mechanic who really knows his stuff more than your own.  You are assuming that the insurance company who is at fault may try to minimize the damage that is done.  They may go for straightening a metal piece (leaving pock marks) instead of buying a new one or just doing a touch-up paint job (with mismatched coloring) instead of painting the entire piece. 

This way, you are armed for the Geico estimator (the adjuster decides how much you will get based on the estimator's estimate) to make sure he includes everything.  Yes, you can negotiate with the estimator and adjuster by treating them with respect and care.  This is best done in person at the time when you give them a cold drink on a hot day, etc.  I would call Geico's claim department and ask what their policy is regarding them getting an estimate (before giving them your specific info, because then it will certainly go to the same adjuster).

When Geico (or whichever company is at fault) is ready to pay, you may request that the check go directly to you instead of the car mechanic.  This is what I have done in the past, but I believe it may be your right even though they may tell you it must go to the shop. The amount you negotiate with the mechanic who eventually will fix the car (or not) has nothing to do with the exact amount of the check that you receive.

The other guy's insurance might go up no matter how much the company pays out and I believe it might even go up at any "at fault" incident that was reported, even if nothing was paid out (need to double check that).  This is the reason you and he pay insurance premiums.

ETA I wrote this as a general procedure, not necessarily for a minor scratch on a fender.  It is up to you if you want to accept the slight damage on your bumper as a potch from Hashem without going through the hassle yourself and expense for the other guy.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2021, 09:56:53 AM by srap »