Author Topic: Please don't overwhelm our brothers  (Read 41946 times)

Offline zh cohen

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Please don't overwhelm our brothers
« Reply #140 on: July 05, 2021, 02:00:31 PM »

This is assuming that Chabad has the resources to update thousands of sites regularly (unless they do this already).

Every Chabad runs their own website independently. Some use Chabad.org's platform and content, but not all by any means.

Offline Lurker

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #141 on: July 05, 2021, 02:00:53 PM »
A webform sent once a month/quarter-
Has anything changed? Yes/No

Choose "No", end of survey. Site is updated that info is current.
Choose yes, select category of what changed, enter new info, site gets updated and is current.

This is assuming that Chabad has the resources to update thousands of sites regularly (unless they do this already).

They do this already. Many Chabad House websites are populated with general Chabad.org content, with several unique pages for that locale. Those unique pages are updated by the local shluchim.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline whYME

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 05, 2021, 02:03:27 PM »
Simply not true, there are Shluchim in "small college towns" with 3x daily minyanim
For example?
(Not denying it, I'm just curious)

Online Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #143 on: July 05, 2021, 02:04:12 PM »
They do this already. Many Chabad House websites are populated with general Chabad.org content, with several unique pages for that locale. Those unique pages are updated by the local shluchim.

This is not the same thing. They can plug in chabad.org content, but their own individual content is created by the Chabad House. Chabad.org cannot update anyone's websites, and especially not with unique info

Offline yuneeq

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 05, 2021, 02:04:25 PM »

Then this type of project shouldn't be too difficult to implement. Hardest part will probably convincing shluchim to add the module and to repeatedly answer the survey.
Visibly Jewish

Offline davidrotts63

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 26
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz Gold, Hyatt Member, BA Blue, Ebay banned, Amazon Prime
« Reply #145 on: July 05, 2021, 02:04:31 PM »

'His' clientele is the local community. Our Chabad House servers every Jew regardless of where they are from.

I was not complaining about any calls or emails, all I said was that I don't get it.
We have an entire section of our website dedicated to answer all the questions of the many visitors, unfortunately not many people read the website and rather call first.

Welcome to DDF.
I'm sorry for the misunderstanding, if your clientele are indeed the local community and frum travelers are a nuisance, maybe blast that on the front page of your website.

But 100% frum travelers may be not great with dealing with shluchim wisely, and I have no issue if shulichim don't love it, but to have a public thread on social media bashing all their wrongdoings is where you lost my respect.

(Quit) pulling out the flowers, and watering the weeds. -Peter Lynch

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #146 on: July 05, 2021, 02:04:47 PM »
This is not the same thing. They can plug in chabad.org content, but their own individual content is created by the Chabad House. Chabad.org cannot update anyone's websites, and especially not with unique info
https://twitter.com/DansDeals/status/1412110036843831299
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline islandjew

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: July 05, 2021, 02:06:58 PM »

Welcome to DDF.
I'm sorry for the misunderstanding, if your clientele are indeed the local community and frum travelers are a nuisance, maybe blast that on the front page of your website.

But 100% frum travelers may be not great with dealing with shluchim wisely, and I have no issue if shulichim don't love it, but to have a public thread on social media bashing all their wrongdoings is where you lost my respect.
I have it all over our site. Check it out.

We LOVE tourists, and are grateful to have them, I just get surprised when people think we have multiple Kosher restaurants on island.

I wish we did

Offline whYME

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: July 05, 2021, 02:21:11 PM »
if your clientele are indeed the local community and frum travelers are a nuisance, maybe blast that on the front page of your website.
This might come as a surprise to you, but the vast majority of shluchim are not going out and sacrificing everything in order to make things more comfortable for frum travelers.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that many consider it a nuisance, but the idea that the default which needs to be negated is that they're there to cater to frum travelers is kinda ludicrous.

Offline shmaya

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 05, 2021, 02:25:42 PM »
I was always under the impression that for these centers out in the middle of nowhere (where there are little to no Jews), this is what they do. Am I wrong?

Although in your case it seems that you do things respectfully, thinking that the reason the shliach moved to a particular city was to enable frum travelers to go on vacation there is at the core of what many shluchim find frustrating.

Offline ah giten

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #150 on: July 05, 2021, 02:35:45 PM »

Although in your case it seems that you do things respectfully, thinking that the reason the shliach moved to a particular city was to enable frum travelers to go on vacation there is at the core of what many shluchim find frustrating.
Don't most shluchim heavily rely on tourists for funding?

Offline Lurker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #151 on: July 05, 2021, 02:36:10 PM »
Don't most shluchim heavily rely on tourists for funding?

No.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Online jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #152 on: July 05, 2021, 02:41:39 PM »

Welcome to DDF.

Can you see that you misunderstood the intent of the tweets?

Did this not help clarify the intent:

Every Lubab on here said it was meant to be humorous, clearly it missed the mark, but c'mon man. It was meant as a joke. Can you accept that, or no?
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline ponash123

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 05, 2021, 03:00:37 PM »

What is the reason? Assuming there are little to no Jewish citizens in that location?
Meaning - I know they are not there to enable people to go on vacation, but I was always under the assumption that they are there to provide a place in all corners of the world that people can go to.
Is that only referring to non-frum people?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2021, 03:05:23 PM by ponash123 »

Offline davidrotts63

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 26
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz Gold, Hyatt Member, BA Blue, Ebay banned, Amazon Prime
« Reply #154 on: July 05, 2021, 03:05:03 PM »
Can you see that you misunderstood the intent of the tweets?

Did this not help clarify the intent:

Every Lubab on here said it was meant to be humorous, clearly it missed the mark, but c'mon man. It was meant as a joke. Can you accept that, or no?
Ouch. Seems I'm a bad person now.
All along I had issue with the thread and the idea of bashing, joke or not, it's disrespectful, the OP was clear of his intent all along.

See this one for example.
(Quit) pulling out the flowers, and watering the weeds. -Peter Lynch

Offline shmaya

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 05, 2021, 03:10:15 PM »
What is the reason? Assuming there are little to no Jewish citizens in that location?

1. Can you give me an example of such a place that has a shliach within the USA?

2. Even for Shluchim in heavy touristy areas, I think its safe to say that they did not decide to move there in order to enable Frum visitors to have more choices in vacation spots.

It is an opportunity however, to reach the Jews who were going to come regardless, and do what you can to encourage them in their yiddishkeit.

Offline S209

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #156 on: July 05, 2021, 03:11:23 PM »
I’m happy he clarified. To be clear, the reason I was surprised was because of the way he originally said it. This is what he originally posted:
PSA for frum summer travelers: Stop calling Chabad Houses about their weekday minyan schedule. If there is nothing in their website, safe to assume it doesn't exist.
Pretty easy leap to assuming it’s been bothering him.

I’m glad this clarification is now out there, it makes me feel better about calling Chabad houses again.
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Online jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #157 on: July 05, 2021, 03:13:06 PM »
Ouch. Seems I'm a bad person now.
All along I had issue with the thread and the idea of bashing, joke or not, it's disrespectful, the OP was clear of his intent all along.

See this one for example.

Can you accept the premise was meant as a joke or no?

Online jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 05, 2021, 03:14:35 PM »
I’m happy he clarified.
Me too!

I completely understand where others were coming from, if they didn't realize it was meant as a joke. There are clearly 2 ways to read that entire Twitter thread.

Offline whYME

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 05, 2021, 03:16:25 PM »
1. Places like that are a small minority of Chabad Houses.

2. "little to no Jewish citizens" is very relative...

3. Usually in places like that their primary goal is catering to the Israeli backpacker types. (Or in the US, as with the case at hand, the local college students)