Author Topic: Please don't overwhelm our brothers  (Read 43496 times)

Offline Lurker

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
Re: Please don't overwhelm our brothers
« Reply #160 on: July 05, 2021, 03:19:39 PM »
What is the reason? Assuming there are little to no Jewish citizens in that location?
Meaning - I know they are not there to enable people to go on vacation, but I was always under the assumption that they are there to provide a place in all corners of the world that people can go to.
Is that only referring to non-frum people?

For the most part, shluchim are in specific locations to service a local community. That may be full time residents or college students, or even a prison or military base. There are some shluchim who go to places just for the people passing through (tourists, business travelers, etc.), but they are not the majority, and they are usually very clear about who they are there to serve.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline ponash123

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: July 05, 2021, 03:21:59 PM »
For the most part, shluchim are in specific locations to service a local community. That may be full time residents or college students, or even a prison or military base. There are some shluchim who go to places just for the people passing through (tourists, business travelers, etc.), but they are not the majority, and they are usually very clear about who they are there to serve.

Okay I guess my experience with shluchim is 100% in far flung places with little to no full time residents

Offline davidrotts63

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 26
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz Gold, Hyatt Member, BA Blue, Ebay banned, Amazon Prime
« Reply #162 on: July 05, 2021, 03:22:14 PM »
Can you accept the premise was meant as a joke or no?
Sure. Doesn't change the narrative.
(Quit) pulling out the flowers, and watering the weeds. -Peter Lynch

Offline dasmo801

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: July 05, 2021, 03:24:29 PM »

Although in your case it seems that you do things respectfully, thinking that the reason the shliach moved to a particular city was to enable frum travelers to go on vacation there is at the core of what many shluchim find frustrating.

Can we stop the PR spin for a second?

Whatever the reason he chose to move there, when I reach out to him asking about a minyan, one simple Jew to another, is it too much to expect (yes, an expectation) an answer like I hope he would answer his brother?

Offline moko

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: July 05, 2021, 03:25:50 PM »
there are also shluchim who have regular operation throughout the year but add or relocate during tourist season. That can be especially true for college campus shluchim which can be all but closed from May-Sep.

Offline shmaya

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: July 05, 2021, 03:28:12 PM »
Can we stop the PR spin for a second?

Whatever the reason he chose to move there, when I reach out to him asking about a minyan, one simple Jew to another, is it too much to expect (yes, an expectation) an answer like I hope he would answer his brother?

If you had your brother calling you with questions like this on a regular basis you would stop answering him properly also.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #166 on: July 05, 2021, 03:29:49 PM »
Sure. Doesn't change the narrative.
If you took it all in jest, I don't see any real complaints

It's a thread full of complain and condescending disses at the frum traveler, yes many may take advantage of chabad, but c'mon if this is the way you feel... I consider that thread a chilul hashem.
Where you see disses I read shluchim bemusing things they've experienced, I don't see where it said frum travelers did something bad..

Well every one of them has another issue, overall it's seems like they have an underlying issue with Frum Travelers, something that irks them, and each one finds one aspect to annoy him about them.
Yes the Frum Traveler is annoying, but thats what you need to expect as a chabad house, if you don't want them, hang up signs.

I've met Chabad Rabbis all over the world, some are downright rude at the first second, and they do not belong on shlichus, and some are welcoming and loving no matter how much you annoy them, it's a personality issue here. You have to make up your mind what you're here for, if it's not for thr kosher traveler, be clear about it.
And here you are making it a list of issues, I see a list of jokes. Perhaps you feel it is at your expense, but it's not how it's meant, as was clarified.

Why in God's name are we looking to flaunt people's flaws? I have flaws, you have flaws, we all have wrongdoings, the vent in public is a blatant chillul hashem.

Oh and then the comments where they make it "Team Chabad" vs. "Team Annoying Frum People", c'mon man!
No one is flaunting flaws, is a lack of google skills a flaw? I mean, I guess you can say it is, is it a chilul hashem to say some jews don't use the google well? And make a jest, I don't think so.

I think you were reading something that should have been more private as it totally missed the mark.

Welcome to DDF.
I'm sorry for the misunderstanding, if your clientele are indeed the local community and frum travelers are a nuisance, maybe blast that on the front page of your website.

But 100% frum travelers may be not great with dealing with shluchim wisely, and I have no issue if shulichim don't love it, but to have a public thread on social media bashing all their wrongdoings is where you lost my respect.
The wrongdoings you are talking about is that they call before googling? This is the big sin they committed that can't be made public?

It's just a joke gone awry. That was later clarified to be just a joke and nothing actually wrong per se in the first place, to the extent that they he's happy to take the call.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline dasmo801

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: July 05, 2021, 03:30:07 PM »
If you had your brother calling you with questions like this on a regular basis you would stop answering him properly also.

Perhaps. But that would be a failing on my part and I certainly wouldn't go on Twitter to advertise my failings.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #168 on: July 05, 2021, 03:30:46 PM »
when I reach out to him asking about a minyan, one simple Jew to another, is it too much to expect (yes, an expectation) an answer like I hope he would answer his brother?
Who said he doesn't? The OP of the tweet, in fact said he would!

Offline moko

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 05, 2021, 03:31:00 PM »
BTDT  ;D

Offline dasmo801

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: July 05, 2021, 03:34:09 PM »
Who said he doesn't? The OP of the tweet, in fact said he would!

I should be clearer. I am not talking about the OP who clarified that he does answer people's questions happily and he was just joking. My comments are addressed to the PR spinmeisters who are defending the original mistaken understanding of the (joking) comment by explaining that he is not on shlichus to help the frum traveler.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #171 on: July 05, 2021, 03:35:25 PM »
Perhaps. But that would be a failing on my part and I certainly wouldn't go on Twitter to advertise my failings.

The judgement is strong.... I'm happy you think so much of the Rebbe's shluchim that you hold them to such high standards.

Offline dasmo801

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 05, 2021, 03:37:01 PM »
The judgement is strong.... I'm happy you think so much of the Rebbe's shluchim that you hold them to such high standards.

Or maybe I don't think that helping a fellow Jew with a little bit of information in a respectful manner is really that high a standard.

Offline shmaya

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: July 05, 2021, 03:37:59 PM »
I should be clearer. I am not talking about the OP who clarified that he does answer people's questions happily and he was just joking. My comments are addressed to the PR spinmeisters who are defending the original mistaken understanding of the (joking) comment by explaining that he is not on shlichus to help the frum traveler.

I was not defending anyone.

If you go back I was responding to a statement made which asked about why shluchim move to far flung places.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 05, 2021, 03:38:44 PM »
As someone said, each shliach is their own person. I don't think that's a common enough problem afaik that there is a systemic reason for it.

Personally I've never been yelled at for asking a shliach about minyan on the phone, have you?

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: July 05, 2021, 03:39:46 PM »
Or maybe I don't think that helping a fellow Jew with a little bit of information in a respectful manner is really that high a standard.
I love that we made up mythical shluchim and are dissecting them.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #176 on: July 05, 2021, 03:42:46 PM »

*Exercising restraint for the 3 weeks and moving on.* Moshiach now.

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #177 on: July 05, 2021, 03:43:02 PM »
I love that we made up mythical shluchim and are dissecting them.
Of course. Just like mythical yeshiva guys etc.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: July 05, 2021, 03:45:41 PM »
Of course. Just like mythical yeshiva guys etc.
What are we dissecting about them today? Or should we save it for Friday?

ETA: Mythical yeshiva guy sounds like a great name for a shidduch group.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: July 05, 2021, 05:13:32 PM »
*Exercising restraint for the 3 weeks and moving on.* Moshiach now.

Signature doesn’t check out :P
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)