Author Topic: Please don't overwhelm our brothers  (Read 43692 times)

Offline Moshe123

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Lost
Re: Please don't overwhelm our brothers
« Reply #260 on: March 13, 2023, 12:07:38 AM »
There are narcissistic people in the world. News at 11.

Offline JMHO

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: March 13, 2023, 03:48:19 AM »
Heads up before Pesach program season rolls around.
Writing from a very OOT community. A wealthy SY family ($25m wedding in Italy wealthy) just visited for a week making the shluchim and baalabatim crazy with demands for 3x/day minyan only at their hotel (not the Chabad house) where we struggle to get minyan on Shabbos. Father was in aveilus and traveled against his own Hakham's advice.
Sach Hakol, the family promised the shluchim the sun, the moon and the stars. You can guess how much they actually donated. Shluchim and the baalabatim they had to round up for this family's minyanim are naturally destroyed not so much by the money but complete lack of hakarat hatov.
Where are these people learning their middos?
MKY!

Offline lover of truth

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: March 13, 2023, 07:49:58 AM »
I understand the feelings toward wealthy vacationers taking over chabad houses
But listen the poor shliach has no choice, it is their checks that are keeping the place running
no different than any shul that the rich guy talks the whole davening, gets maftir every week etc. and no one can tell the guy a word
Side note i used to vacation in Palm springs Rabbi Donnenbaum best shliach ever!

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #263 on: March 13, 2023, 08:00:37 AM »
I understand the feelings toward wealthy vacationers taking over chabad houses
But listen the poor shliach has no choice, it is their checks that are keeping the place running
no different than any shul that the rich guy talks the whole davening, gets maftir every week etc. and no one can tell the guy a word
Side note i used to vacation in Palm springs Rabbi Donnenbaum best shliach ever!

Uh, no.
The issue is when you're high maintenance but don't contribute or at least give sincere thanks.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline lover of truth

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: March 13, 2023, 08:24:06 AM »
Uh, no.
The issue is when you're high maintenance but don't contribute or at least give sincere thanks.
The shliach doesn't know which richie will donate or not and sadly he can't take the chance of losing a fat fish
Ask anybody who has a mossad who went on a wild goose chase to end up getting $18 check
THATS LIFE

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #265 on: March 13, 2023, 08:26:28 AM »
OK?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline lover of truth

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: March 13, 2023, 08:29:59 AM »
OK?
Of course not
Just saying this is what every fundraiser/menahel goes through, not limited to shluchim
They are doing it lshem shmayim and go through constant abuse

Offline JoeyShmoe

• View Profile
« Reply #267 on: March 13, 2023, 09:30:55 AM »
Of course not
Just saying this is what every fundraiser/menahel goes through, not limited to shluchim
They are doing it lshem shmayim and go through constant abuse
And therefore it's ok to abuse them? The story @ReadsTheT&C brought is asking for people to stop taking advantage of Shluchim in this way, no one said that any fundraiser is any different
DDF A-Z Link Extension
Chrome
Firefox
Info

Offline shwarmabob

• View Profile
« Reply #268 on: March 13, 2023, 09:38:17 AM »
Heads up before Pesach program season rolls around.
Writing from a very OOT community. A wealthy SY family ($25m wedding in Italy wealthy) just visited for a week making the shluchim and baalabatim crazy with demands for 3x/day minyan only at their hotel (not the Chabad house) where we struggle to get minyan on Shabbos. Father was in aveilus and traveled against his own Hakham's advice.
Sach Hakol, the family promised the shluchim the sun, the moon and the stars. You can guess how much they actually donated. Shluchim and the baalabatim they had to round up for this family's minyanim are naturally destroyed not so much by the money but complete lack of hakarat hatov.
Where are these people learning their middos?
If they disregarded their own Rav/Hakham's advice and it is public knowledge, then what kind of midot are you talking about?

Offline yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: March 13, 2023, 09:55:26 AM »
If they disregarded their own Rav/Hakham's advice and it is public knowledge, then what kind of midot are you talking about?
It probably wasn't known by them beforehand. Even if it was, how many times have you ignored or not noticed red flags?

Offline Lurker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #270 on: March 13, 2023, 10:15:27 AM »
It probably wasn't known by them beforehand. Even if it was, how many times have you ignored or not noticed red flags?

IME, ignoring red flags has little to do with situations like this. Usually, the shliach is self-guilted into accommodating the people who showed up. How is he going to let an avel daven without a minyan?
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline ckmk47

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: March 13, 2023, 12:46:34 PM »
IME, ignoring red flags has little to do with situations like this. Usually, the shliach is self-guilted into accommodating the people who showed up. How is he going to let an avel daven without a minyan?
That's an example of a Yid having more compassion on his fellow man's ruchniyos that the fellow does himself.
Admirable.  But sometimes you have to say " You made  your bed, lie in it."
My favorite cause: cssy.org

Offline Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #272 on: March 13, 2023, 01:22:35 PM »
This conversation rubs me the wrong way. My feelings on this are quite clear in this and other threads. There should be more of a general awareness by frum travelers in general. Stories like this are individuals. Individuals are often jerks. Why was it necessary to say which community they came from? Why the need to discuss the midos (or lack thereof) of "these people"? This kind of abuse - having the shliach make minyanim in *their* hotel, etc, is indicative of uber-wealthy people who are used to getting whatever they want often without realizing how extreme their requests are, and not all that instructive for the broader frum community.

Offline Moshe Green

• View Profile
« Reply #273 on: March 13, 2023, 01:48:45 PM »
This conversation rubs me the wrong way. My feelings on this are quite clear in this and other threads. There should be more of a general awareness by frum travelers in general. Stories like this are individuals. Individuals are often jerks. Why was it necessary to say which community they came from? Why the need to discuss the midos (or lack thereof) of "these people"? This kind of abuse - having the shliach make minyanim in *their* hotel, etc, is indicative of uber-wealthy people who are used to getting whatever they want often without realizing how extreme their requests are, and not all that instructive for the broader frum community.
When one sees how extreme some people get we can take a lesson for ourselves in our own lives.

For example; when we stay by a hotel/eat in a restaurant and the food comes a bit late, instead of getting all mad and yelling at the waiter/staff we can understand that they are working hard to make everyone happy and sometimes things go wrong. We can appreciate the good and show Hakaras HaTov instead of focusing on the bad and ignoring the Shliach's hard work like the guy in the story.

Offline JMHO

• View Profile
« Reply #274 on: March 13, 2023, 02:46:31 PM »
When one sees how extreme some people get we can take a lesson for ourselves in our own lives.

For example; when we stay by a hotel/eat in a restaurant and the food comes a bit late, instead of getting all mad and yelling at the waiter/staff we can understand that they are working hard to make everyone happy and sometimes things go wrong. We can appreciate the good and show Hakaras HaTov instead of focusing on the bad and ignoring the Shliach's hard work like the guy in the story.
Who gets all mad and yells at the waiter/staff when the food comes a bit late? :o

Offline yelped

• View Profile
« Reply #275 on: March 13, 2023, 02:57:01 PM »
TBH, I think most people glossed over that and didn't notice that it even mentioned where the person was from.

Offline zh cohen

• View Profile
« Reply #276 on: March 13, 2023, 03:22:36 PM »
To counter the negativity, a fellow shliach just shared the following message he got from someone -

Sholom Aleichem,

I happened to be coming to *** tomorrow. I live in *** and would be happy to bring anything that you might need food wise, etc.

My cell is ***...

Offline yelped

• View Profile
« Reply #277 on: March 13, 2023, 03:34:38 PM »
To counter the negativity, a fellow shliach just shared the following message he got from someone -
Sounds like someone who reads DDMS.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: March 13, 2023, 04:01:42 PM »
Nice! I try to do this whenever I go to remote locations. Even if they say no, consider bringing some snacks or candy that their kids might enjoy.

Offline Suave

• DansDeals Developer
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
    • SWIZU Web Development
  • Programs: Photoshop
« Reply #279 on: March 13, 2023, 09:44:02 PM »
I have sent dozens of messages like this - By now I have probably shlepped well over 50 packages (mostly large suitcases filled with food) to chabad houses across the world.

Not sure why it's such a chiddush. It should be a default planning step for any trip IMHO.
DDMS Built with ♥ by SWIZU