Author Topic: Please don't overwhelm our brothers  (Read 43553 times)

Offline Joel

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 76
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, National EE, Hertz PC, Enterprise Platinum, Avis PC
Re: Please don't overwhelm our brothers
« Reply #280 on: March 13, 2023, 10:21:35 PM »
Heads up before Pesach program season rolls around.
Writing from a very OOT community. A wealthy SY family ($25m wedding in Italy wealthy) just visited for a week making the shluchim and baalabatim crazy with demands for 3x/day minyan only at their hotel (not the Chabad house) where we struggle to get minyan on Shabbos. Father was in aveilus and traveled against his own Hakham's advice.
Sach Hakol, the family promised the shluchim the sun, the moon and the stars. You can guess how much they actually donated. Shluchim and the baalabatim they had to round up for this family's minyanim are naturally destroyed not so much by the money but complete lack of hakarat hatov.
Where are these people learning their middos?
I just heard a similar story shluch went to read megulah at this person's office on purim day the story ended the same way. Terrible

Offline Lurker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #281 on: March 13, 2023, 11:12:09 PM »
I just heard a similar story shluch went to read megulah at this person's office on purim day the story ended the same way. Terrible

These are the stories that bother me. They make it seem like shluchim are expecting to get paid for reading megillah in an office, when it's the farthest thing from the truth. Shluchim read megillah in hundreds, if not thousands, of offices all over the world for no reason other than helping someone do the mitzvah. I have no idea what happened here, or what got lost in translation, but it doesn't sound accurate.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline ReadsTheT&C

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: March 13, 2023, 11:18:35 PM »
These are the stories that bother me. They make it seem like shluchim are expecting to get paid for reading megillah in an office, when it's the farthest thing from the truth. Shluchim read megillah in hundreds, if not thousands, of offices all over the world for no reason other than helping someone do the mitzvah. I have no idea what happened here, or what got lost in translation, but it doesn't sound accurate.
If it's the shliach's own initiative and he advertises he'll be reading in such-and-such a place for sure. But if somebody requests a private reading in their office and says they will donate but doesn't well that's another story. And unfortunately those stories are a dime a dozen.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #283 on: March 13, 2023, 11:24:13 PM »
If it's the shliach's own initiative and he advertises he'll be reading in such-and-such a place for sure. But if somebody requests a private reading in their office and says they will donate but doesn't well that's another story. And unfortunately those stories are a dime a dozen.

I don't know. I guess I just know different shluchim. The vast majority of the ones I know are taking that request (or arranging someone else to take care of it) and not thinking twice about getting a potential donation out of it.

Offline sguitarist18

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: March 13, 2023, 11:33:33 PM »
Perhaps the point here is that they're being told, "Please jump through hoops for me, and I'll give you a very generous donation."

Online EliJelly

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: March 13, 2023, 11:55:33 PM »
Perhaps the point here is that they're being told, "Please jump through hoops for me, and I'll give you a very generous donation."

Or "I know I can come over to your shul but Google my name and see that it pays to come over to me".

Online Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #286 on: March 14, 2023, 10:53:29 AM »

A shliach could drive a few hours each way to lein megillah for one person without getting a penny without batting an eyelash. The same shliach would right be peeved if a frum person who is able to hear megillah in shul, but for convenience's sake asks the Shliach to do a private leining in his office and promises or hints at a big donation, gives him $18. Would the shliach do it without the promise of a donation? More than likely.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #287 on: March 14, 2023, 11:04:07 AM »
A shliach could drive a few hours each way to lein megillah for one person without getting a penny without batting an eyelash. The same shliach would right be peeved if a frum person who is able to hear megillah in shul, but for convenience's sake asks the Shliach to do a private leining in his office and promises or hints at a big donation, gives him $18. Would the shliach do it without the promise of a donation? More than likely.

Well said. The way the stories circulate and/or are told just rubs me wrong.

Offline yoohoo

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: March 14, 2023, 11:07:23 AM »
I reached out to a shliach via phone  a few weeks ago for information about an area. It was a very short conversation but was very helpful. After reading this thread I went to the website and made a donation.

Online Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled

Online Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #291 on: July 18, 2023, 11:29:57 AM »
@Dan @jj1000 Possibly worthy of a DDMS post
True, but I still find it beyond absurd that the shluchim office can't figure out how to make a simple template for people to see if there are daily minyanim or tourist services offered.

Seems like this would solve a major pain point that shluchim have.

Is there someone I should discuss this with before mentioning that in a post on this topic?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #292 on: July 18, 2023, 11:43:06 AM »
Is there someone I should discuss this with before mentioning that in a post on this topic?
I emailed Mendy K.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline lcm

• View Profile
« Reply #293 on: July 18, 2023, 11:54:19 AM »
I emailed Mendy K.
It's in the pipeline ;)

Lowest lift would be for chabad.org - chabadone to add it, and integrate it into the manage offered services profile on the backend, which feeds into the Chabad center locator on the frontend.

The other half of the challenge will be of figuring out how to make sure shluchim keep it updated.

Practically it probably requires: a very user friendly and friction free way for shluchim to manage it, and nudge reminders to verify and update current info.
Maybe even having a "suggest an update"/add info on the Chabad center locator platform for the end user.

Ultimately it boils down to the shliach prioritizing it, and it not getting lost in the myriad responsibilities that he has.

How to do that...

Online Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #294 on: July 18, 2023, 11:55:38 AM »
True, but I still find it beyond absurd that the shluchim office
I emailed Mendy K.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: July 18, 2023, 11:59:04 AM »
It's in the pipeline ;)
That's good, but it's been over 2 years since this and we keep seeing shluchim complain about this.
It's a bad look for everyone.

https://twitter.com/DansDeals/status/1412090793565868034

https://twitter.com/DansDeals/status/1412108582355603457

https://twitter.com/DansDeals/status/1412095703422222341

https://twitter.com/DansDeals/status/1412096015931428864

https://twitter.com/DansDeals/status/1412099389502509063

https://twitter.com/DansDeals/status/1412101132357451778

https://twitter.com/DansDeals/status/1412092478186999814

Ultimately it boils down to having the shliach prioritize it, and it not getting lost in the myriad responsibilities that he has.
How to do that...
So silly though, shluchim complain about being inundated with requests for this info, when an annual 5 minute update would solve that pain point.

Online Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #296 on: July 18, 2023, 12:13:54 PM »
True, but I still find it beyond absurd that the shluchim office can't figure out how to make a simple template for people to see if there are daily minyanim or tourist services offered.

Seems like this would solve a major pain point that shluchim have.

Is the information issue even mentioned in this article? I don't think that is a bother for Shluchim in the slightest, despite how this thread started. Those that get contacted about it, have the info on their sites, those that don't have it on their sites is because they aren't contacted about it.

The main issues are the expectations and lack of understanding of the role the shliach plays. Understanding that each shliach is self/locally funded and that the goal of the shliach in most cases is not to provide frum amenities will be helpful to travelers.

Offline MeirS

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: July 18, 2023, 12:14:00 PM »
That's good, but it's been over 2 years since this and we keep seeing shluchim complain about this.
It's a bad look for everyone.

So silly though, shluchim complain about being inundated with requests for this info, when an annual 5 minute update would solve that pain point.
Many people don't check the websites.

I got a call about a week ago:
"Hi,
We're traveling through and Googled your number. Are there any places to get Kosher food here?"
I was happy to direct them to TJs or the local kosher section, but they could've saved the phone call by looking on our site.
PS. The closest kosher establishment with ready made food is a 3 hour drive.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2023, 12:21:04 PM by jj1000 »

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: July 18, 2023, 12:15:49 PM »
Many people don't check the websites.

I got a call about a week ago:
"Hi,
We're traveling through and Googled your number. Are there any places to get Kosher food here?"
I was happy to direct them to TJs or the local kosher section, but they could've saved the phone call by looking on our site.
PS. The closest kosher establishment with ready made food is a 3 hour drive.
I'd just send them a link to the site then.

But I think that's why a central FAQ on the Chaabad.org chabad house search page is the way to go I think. It can be hard to find the info, often buried on the Chabad House.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: July 18, 2023, 12:17:57 PM »
Is the information issue even mentioned in this article? I don't think that is a bother for Shluchim in the slightest, despite how this thread started. Those that get contacted about it, have the info on their sites, those that don't have it on their sites is because they aren't contacted about it.

The main issues are the expectations and lack of understanding of the role the shliach plays. Understanding that each shliach is self/locally funded and that the goal of the shliach in most cases is not to provide frum amenities will be helpful to travelers.
Right, I understand the main point and it is worth a DDMS post, but I'm going off on a tangent of point 7 of that article and the unresolved issues in this thread.

I have seen other shluchim complain on social media about the summertime question inundation, so it's not just Zalmanov's pain point.

And while that's not the goal of most shluchim, there are plenty of shluchim that do focus on travelers, which adds to the confusion.