Author Topic: Please don't overwhelm our brothers  (Read 43696 times)

Offline theblakdavid

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Please don't overwhelm our brothers
« Reply #320 on: July 19, 2023, 12:03:13 PM »
?
As was reading noticed a typo
Amazing piece very thorough 🙏

Offline Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 44
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #321 on: July 19, 2023, 12:03:27 PM »
Thoughts on this draft article? @Yehuda57 @lcm @MeirS
Don't share yet please.
https://www.dansdeals.com/points-travel/travel-tips/dos-donts-taking-advantage-chabad-services-travels/

Good article,  two comments:

Using "taking advantage" in the title is pretty much the opposite of the message. Maybe something like "when using" or similar.

"Don’t kvetch about food pricing.
Unless you’re traveling in Thailand, Shluchim that do sell food are using that as a fundraiser for their local activities."

You don't say why Thailand is different, and I'm sure there are others just like it. I would just skip the whole Thailand caveat.
Check out my site for epic kosher adventures: Kosher Horizons

Offline MeirS

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: July 19, 2023, 12:05:36 PM »
The argument is that shluchim are being funded by donors to do outreach etc and for communities

And then you have family members who treat chabad houses like a free hostel network... And yes many bring friends too.. that's how chabad youth and adults see the world cheap / free
I'm not seeing the issue.
Is a Shliach less entitled to a home where he has space for his wife and children and he can periodically host guests? Especially if it's family who are often coming to help out?

Offline Euclid

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: July 19, 2023, 12:10:34 PM »
Using "taking advantage" in the title is pretty much the opposite of the message. Maybe something like "when using" or similar.

I took the tone as non-negative. "When you take advantage" ie "When you avail yourself"

Offline Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #324 on: July 19, 2023, 12:15:19 PM »
I took the tone as non-negative.

As will most people. But if you've ever been on DDFB.....

Offline Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #325 on: July 19, 2023, 12:16:21 PM »
Tha being said, "when you avail yourself" is probably the best title to use.

Offline MeirS

• View Profile
« Reply #326 on: July 19, 2023, 12:17:17 PM »
Don't share yet please.
https://www.dansdeals.com/points-travel/travel-tips/dos-donts-taking-advantage-chabad-services-travels/
Great piece!

2. Comments:

1. "Shluchim have various standards in whether they accommodate tourist’s needs."

It may be their standards, or just the possibilities. Sometimes being there for tourists in various ways is just not possible in certain locals.

As in, it's not always a choice that's made.

2. "Also on that note, some Chabad houses will have lavish Shabbos meals with five-star dining, while others may leave you wishing you brought some extra crackers to eat on Shabbos."

And others may not have anything on Shabbos at all.

I know a Shliach who received a very respectful email asking which hotels were in walking distance.
The problem was, the address wasn't listed as it was operated out of their home. And they weren't actually able to offer anything most Shabbosim. So the response was something like "this is the closest hotel but what exactly are you expecting at Chabad? We unfortunately have no meals, and no Minyanim." If you want to know if you can join the family for meals, he would have to discuss that with his wife.

In short, some places don't have anything you would find useful.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #327 on: July 19, 2023, 12:19:26 PM »
Good article,  two comments:

"Don’t kvetch about food pricing.
Unless you’re traveling in Thailand, Shluchim that do sell food are using that as a fundraiser for their local activities."

You don't say why Thailand is different, and I'm sure there are others just like it. I would just skip the whole Thailand caveat.
Thanks, changed title and clarified my Thailand thoughts.

https://www.dansdeals.com/points-travel/travel-tips/dos-donts-while-enjoying-chabad-services-travels/
« Last Edit: July 19, 2023, 12:24:57 PM by Dan »
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline ckmk47

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: July 19, 2023, 12:19:54 PM »
I guess impartial

Shluchim are basically saying "dont leech off of us" and many family members are basically just crashing at shluchim

When the traveling relatives are from Crown Heights, chances are the shliach has stayed at the guests' houses for many a Shabbos.  If the traveling relative is a shliach from his own yehupitz, he may look at it as professional courtesy.
My favorite cause: cssy.org

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #329 on: July 19, 2023, 12:25:21 PM »
Great piece!

2. Comments:

1. "Shluchim have various standards in whether they accommodate tourist’s needs."

It may be their standards, or just the possibilities. Sometimes being there for tourists in various ways is just not possible in certain locals.

As in, it's not always a choice that's made.

2. "Also on that note, some Chabad houses will have lavish Shabbos meals with five-star dining, while others may leave you wishing you brought some extra crackers to eat on Shabbos."

And others may not have anything on Shabbos at all.

I know a Shliach who received a very respectful email asking which hotels were in walking distance.
The problem was, the address wasn't listed as it was operated out of their home. And they weren't actually able to offer anything most Shabbosim. So the response was something like "this is the closest hotel but what exactly are you expecting at Chabad? We unfortunately have no meals, and no Minyanim." If you want to know if you can join the family for meals, he would have to discuss that with his wife.

In short, some places don't have anything you would find useful.
Thanks, updated!
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Yehudaa

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 111
    • View Profile
« Reply #330 on: July 19, 2023, 12:28:00 PM »
Don't share yet please.

Looks good! A few minor comments:

Changing this word to something like "sometimes", "may", or even "understandably" might sound a bit more positive.

Maybe change this to "while they may not have your food order ready"? It's a bit confusing.

Maybe I'd add to this paragraph to send a thank you note/email if they enhanced your vacation, especially if you didn't interact with them and thank them personally. Never underestimate the power of a proper thank you and some encouraging words.

Offline ckmk47

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: July 19, 2023, 12:30:08 PM »
Don't share yet please.
Nice!  I think it includes the points and is well said.

("It’s an easy way to show your appreciation and make them feel appreciated."
change one 'appreciated'. Maybe the first phrase to 'say thank you'.)
My favorite cause: cssy.org

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: July 19, 2023, 12:33:55 PM »
Looks good! A few minor comments:

Changing this word to something like "sometimes", "may", or even "understandably" might sound a bit more positive.

Maybe change this to "while they may not have your food order ready"? It's a bit confusing.

Maybe I'd add to this paragraph to send a thank you note/email if they enhanced your vacation, especially if you didn't interact with them and thank them personally. Never underestimate the power of a proper thank you and some encouraging words.
Done, thanks.

Offline Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #333 on: July 19, 2023, 12:39:16 PM »
Excellent piece.

1) I would make special mention much earlier on the piece that every chabad house is self funded. They do not get money from 770 or headquarters. That is a given for lubavitchers, but as I found out on this forum, even people who availed themselves of many chabad house services didn't know this.

2) I would add emphasis explaining the difference between chabad houses who have tourist services such as meals or restaurants, and chabad houses who are there for the local community but help out tourists as a secondary part of their shlichus. If you pay money for a meal in Cancun (for instance) and something is wrong, you are well within your rights to complain, get a refund, etc. If you go to a Friday night dinner  - even if you paid a fee - at a chabad house in the midwest (for instance), you're an absolute jerk if you ask for a refund because the chicken wasn't up to standard.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: July 19, 2023, 12:48:50 PM »
Excellent piece.

1) I would make special mention much earlier on the piece that every chabad house is self funded. They do not get money from 770 or headquarters. That is a given for lubavitchers, but as I found out on this forum, even people who availed themselves of many chabad house services didn't know this.

2) I would add emphasis explaining the difference between chabad houses who have tourist services such as meals or restaurants, and chabad houses who are there for the local community but help out tourists as a secondary part of their shlichus. If you pay money for a meal in Cancun (for instance) and something is wrong, you are well within your rights to complain, get a refund, etc. If you go to a Friday night dinner  - even if you paid a fee - at a chabad house in the midwest (for instance), you're an absolute jerk if you ask for a refund because the chicken wasn't up to standard.

Thanks, done.

Offline Redbull3

• View Profile
  • Programs: Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #335 on: July 19, 2023, 12:52:44 PM »
Great piece and suggestions in the thread.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: July 19, 2023, 12:53:28 PM »
Thanks guys.
Any other suggestions or things that should be added before publishing?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: July 19, 2023, 12:53:46 PM »
Great piece and suggestions in the thread.
Thanks and there sure were!

Offline biobook

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: July 19, 2023, 12:57:04 PM »
Thanks guys.
Any other suggestions or things that should be added before publishing?
Nicely written!

"But that being said, many Chabad House websites do have that information available on their sites..."  Might encourage others to do so if you link to some of those sites.  I know I've seen one recently that was especially comprehensive and helpful, but can't remember now where it was.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: July 19, 2023, 12:58:43 PM »
Nicely written!

"But that being said, many Chabad House websites do have that information available on their sites..."  Might encourage others to do so if you link to some of those sites.  I know I've seen one recently that was especially comprehensive and helpful, but can't remember now where it was.
Thanks!

Good idea. Anyone know of any great ones offhand?