Author Topic: Please don't overwhelm our brothers  (Read 43689 times)

Offline yungermanchik

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: Previous Signatures: If you chapped hana'ah from a post, like it; You think you know the answers and things are the way they seem.. it just ain't so -The Rebbe from Lublin-
Re: Please don't overwhelm our brothers
« Reply #340 on: July 19, 2023, 01:00:39 PM »
Thanks!

Good idea. Anyone know of any great ones offhand?
This or  this?
Small people talk about other people.
Average people talk about things
BIG PEOPLE TALK ABOUT IDEAS.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline Dawie

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: July 19, 2023, 01:07:22 PM »
The argument is that shluchim are being funded by donors to do outreach etc and for communities

And then you have family members who treat chabad houses like a free hostel network... And yes many bring friends too.. that's how chabad youth and adults see the world cheap / free
from my (limited) experience the bocherim are usually helping and working not freeloading...
(and they dont talk in shul)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #343 on: July 19, 2023, 01:11:43 PM »
Nicely written!

"But that being said, many Chabad House websites do have that information available on their sites..."  Might encourage others to do so if you link to some of those sites.  I know I've seen one recently that was especially comprehensive and helpful, but can't remember now where it was.
Done, thanks.

Last call for suggestions!
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Yehuda57

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile

Offline Thrifty

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: July 19, 2023, 01:51:26 PM »
"rather than guessing who it might be and then asking how they are from you" - missing the word "far" between how and they.

EDIT: fixed already

Offline biobook

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: July 19, 2023, 02:11:01 PM »
Many people don't check the websites.

I got a call about a week ago:
"Hi,
We're traveling through and Googled your number. Are there any places to get Kosher food here?"
I was happy to direct them to TJs or the local kosher section, but they could've saved the phone call by looking on our site.
PS. The closest kosher establishment with ready made food is a 3 hour drive.
It may be instructive to compare the number of people who call without checking the website to the number of people who check the website without calling (that is, the number of hits on that page in the same time period).

Offline ejb123

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: July 19, 2023, 02:12:09 PM »
Updated with more tips from Shluchim.

Thank you @Dan for posting this to the main site. I hope that most people follow and respect your "rules of the road".

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: July 19, 2023, 02:37:11 PM »

Offline mlight

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: July 19, 2023, 02:47:19 PM »
I've found chabad of flagstaff to be one of the best websites... koshercanyon.com

Offline lcm

• View Profile
« Reply #352 on: July 19, 2023, 02:48:40 PM »
Thoughts on this draft article? @Yehuda57 @lcm @MeirS
Don't share yet please.
https://www.dansdeals.com/points-travel/travel-tips/dos-donts-taking-advantage-chabad-services-travels/
Only saw this now, even with the message
Anyhow, great job, I see the others have some great feedback.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: July 19, 2023, 02:51:22 PM »
I've found chabad of flagstaff to be one of the best websites... https://www.thekoshercanyon.com/
FTFY

Offline Hjay

• View Profile
« Reply #354 on: July 19, 2023, 03:47:07 PM »
@Dan  great article. Awareness is key.

Just a quick point from the other side -

I recently went away with family & needed a Sefer Torah, called the local chabad & asked if they were able to help. They were very happy to accommodate & were clear about their fee. I was very happy they were upfront about the charge even if I may have thought it was a drop overpriced because there was no guessing game.

Don’t make believe you’re doing a favor for somebody & get mad when they don’t fill your (unknown) expectations. Ppl don’t always understand or view things the way you do (ie: chabad houses are entirely self funded) & some ppl are simply jerks. If you’re upfront about what you expect from somebody for your service it’s pretty hard to be disappointed. Obviously that doesn’t excuse a person for acting like a jerk or the fact that he should be more aware of the work you put in etc… Many times ppl won’t state a price because they think they’ll come out ahead that way, that’s a gamble - don’t be surprised when it doesn’t work in your favor.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #355 on: July 19, 2023, 04:17:57 PM »
@Dan  great article. Awareness is key.

Just a quick point from the other side -

I recently went away with family & needed a Sefer Torah, called the local chabad & asked if they were able to help. They were very happy to accommodate & were clear about their fee. I was very happy they were upfront about the charge even if I may have thought it was a drop overpriced because there was no guessing game.

Don’t make believe you’re doing a favor for somebody & get mad when they don’t fill your (unknown) expectations. Ppl don’t always understand or view things the way you do (ie: chabad houses are entirely self funded) & some ppl are simply jerks. If you’re upfront about what you expect from somebody for your service it’s pretty hard to be disappointed. Obviously that doesn’t excuse a person for acting like a jerk or the fact that he should be more aware of the work you put in etc… Many times ppl won’t state a price because they think they’ll come out ahead that way, that’s a gamble - don’t be surprised when it doesn’t work in your favor.
This is looking at a Chabad house as a business. It's not.

Offline Hjay

• View Profile
« Reply #356 on: July 19, 2023, 04:33:02 PM »

So the correct thing should’ve been that they didn’t give me a price & I decide how much to donate because they’re doing something they’re happy doing even if I would just give them a big thank you with a smile?

I actually used to look at it differently but after reading this thread & the article my view changed a bit, I wouldn’t exactly define it as a business but it definitely has some mix of helping Jews in many diff ways but at the same time needing to sustain themselves. Chabad aside, any rabbi has this conflict I actually know more than one (family) wealthy rabbi who doesn’t take a salary b/c he doesn’t need it. Most ppl aren’t able to do that & need to put a price on their services. To have a price, not state it & then be mad is either being stupid or gambling & losing the gamble. An article like the one written raises awareness for those who care & just didn’t know, jerks will be jerks regardless & they don’t discriminate be it in religion business or anything else.

I think it’s beautiful what chabad does & bh I’ve experienced it first hand as well as have a friend who’s a shliach in a far off place so I see what he goes through & what he does.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: July 19, 2023, 05:06:38 PM »
So the correct thing should’ve been that they didn’t give me a price & I decide how much to donate because they’re doing something they’re happy doing even if I would just give them a big thank you with a smile?

I actually used to look at it differently but after reading this thread & the article my view changed a bit, I wouldn’t exactly define it as a business but it definitely has some mix of helping Jews in many diff ways but at the same time needing to sustain themselves. Chabad aside, any rabbi has this conflict I actually know more than one (family) wealthy rabbi who doesn’t take a salary b/c he doesn’t need it. Most ppl aren’t able to do that & need to put a price on their services. To have a price, not state it & then be mad is either being stupid or gambling & losing the gamble. An article like the one written raises awareness for those who care & just didn’t know, jerks will be jerks regardless & they don’t discriminate be it in religion business or anything else.

I think it’s beautiful what chabad does & bh I’ve experienced it first hand as well as have a friend who’s a shliach in a far off place so I see what he goes through & what he does.
Where do you see shluchim getting mad at a small or no donation?

Offline Yehuda57

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #358 on: July 19, 2023, 06:04:56 PM »

That's one of the key issues at the heart of this. For many Chabad Houses there absolutely are business portions of their Shlichus, especially as it relates to services for frum travelers.

In those instances, it is better for all involved if there is more of a transactional attitude, where the price and services are agreed upon.

Offline YYbochur

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: July 19, 2023, 06:48:36 PM »
Thanks!

Good idea. Anyone know of any great ones offhand?
https://lincolnnhminyancom.weebly.com/