Author Topic: Please don't overwhelm our brothers  (Read 43606 times)

Offline Lurker

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
Re: Please don't overwhelm our brothers
« Reply #60 on: July 05, 2021, 10:31:49 AM »
For you it's basic, but for outsider it's not. It took me a couple of trips to realize that each Chabad house I visit is self funded.
I've questioned the kids there how it works, who sends them, how they chose where to go. It is very foreign to those not from the circle.

Just to give you a different perspective...

100% understand. I grew up on shlichus. Even people who grew up in Chabad communities don't always get what goes on. The frum traveller complaints are not limited to non-Chabad. The correct way to do things is as you did: ask questions. Why are shluchim where they are? How to they operate? What can one expect?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2021, 10:35:20 AM by Lurker »
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline Iz

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 05, 2021, 10:37:08 AM »
Isn't the job about being מרבה כבוד שמים ?
That isn’t classic Chabad terminology
What would be?

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 05, 2021, 10:37:43 AM »
My apologies, my background is Lakewood and Lakewood type yeshivos. But my assumption, and please correct if I'm wrong, is that the concept is a universal one even if the terminology is different.

100%. No reason to apologize.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 05, 2021, 10:39:06 AM »
What would be?

Something along the lines of a minyan is a mitzvah and would be one more way to bring Yiddishkeit to that far flung corner of the world.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 05, 2021, 10:40:14 AM »
What would be?

Something along the lines of a minyan is a mitzvah and would be one more way to bring Yiddishkeit to that far flung corner of the world. Not far off from מרבה כבוד שמים,  wouldn't you say?

A Chabad'nik would see minyan an expression of "לעשות לו יתברך דירה בתחתונים"

Offline sguitarist18

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 05, 2021, 10:49:57 AM »
Just a thought. That tweet would easily make me choose to NOT call and ask about minyanim (not just at his location, but in the future), and rather daven without one. I'm sure I'm not alone. If that's worth it to the guy, it's on him.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #66 on: July 05, 2021, 10:52:11 AM »
Just a thought. That tweet would easily make me choose to NOT call and ask about minyanim (not just at his location, but in the future), and rather daven without one. I'm sure I'm not alone. If that's worth it to the guy, it's on him.
Your connection to Hashem is based on what other people tweet?

See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 05, 2021, 10:56:59 AM »
I think you misunderstood. He's saying that by seeing that tweet he will be less likely to reach out to the local Chabad about a minyan when out on vacation. Sounds logical, if everyone now believes Chabad doesn't want them asking about a minyan people will be less likely to seek out a minyan.
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 05, 2021, 10:57:40 AM »
I think you misunderstood. He's saying that by seeing that tweet he will be less likely to reach out to the local Chabad about a minyan when out on vacation. Sounds logical, if everyone now believes Chabad doesn't want them asking about a minyan people will be less likely to seek out a minyan.

100%

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #69 on: July 05, 2021, 11:03:15 AM »

I'd like to think that people don't let random social media posts dictate their Judaism. If one tweet by a guy in the middle of nowhere leads you to write off every Chabad House or shliach, that's a problem.

Offline avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 05, 2021, 11:05:22 AM »
Context is everything. I'd like to think that people don't let random social media posts dictate their Judaism. If one tweet by a guy in the middle of nowhere leads you to write off every Chabad House or shliach, that's a problem.
The guy is literally saying "as a chabad shliach, I'm telling you we don't want people calling up asking for a minyan." Im not sure how else you expect people to understand it.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 05, 2021, 11:06:47 AM »
The guy is literally saying "as a chabad shliach, I'm telling you we don't want people calling up asking for a minyan." Im not sure how else you expect people to understand it.

No, he's literally saying, "I'm on a college campus in the middle of nowhere. I don't understand people calling up expecting minyanim here."

Offline sguitarist18

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 05, 2021, 11:07:05 AM »

I'd like to think that people don't let random social media posts dictate their Judaism. If one tweet by a guy in the middle of nowhere leads you to write off every Chabad House or shliach, that's a problem.

Not my relationship with hashem, but my desire to not be a huge pain the @SS to people, which is what he considers people calling and asking for a minyan. I don't want to be that, so I won't call.

Opinions and feelings are often affected more by the one guy shrieking at the top of his lungs than 10 people quietly doing the right thing.

And as others have said, he's claiming to speak for everyone.

Yes, in some areas, a minyan may not be a realistic expectation. If I'm not from the area, how would I know? I'm from Brooklyn, as far as I'm concerned, once you leave the tri-state area you're more likely to find a minyan of moose than of people.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2021, 11:10:24 AM by sguitarist18 »

Offline sguitarist18

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 05, 2021, 11:08:20 AM »
No, he's literally saying, "I'm on a college campus in the middle of nowhere. I don't understand people calling up expecting minyanim here."

What he literally said was "stop calling chabad houses." He didn't say anything about types, college campuses, locations, etc.

Offline avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 05, 2021, 11:08:52 AM »
There are plenty of minyanim in far flung areas, why is your average person supposed to know where there is and isn't a minyan?

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 05, 2021, 11:17:02 AM »

What he literally said was "stop calling chabad houses." He didn't say anything about types, college campuses, locations, etc.

You're right. I'm reading it with context, both from what I know and from his follow up tweets. Maybe someone should reach out to him and explain how it came across, so he can fix it. I'm certain that his intention wasn't to stop people from trying to daven with a minyan.

Offline sguitarist18

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 05, 2021, 11:22:36 AM »
Very possible. That's the danger of social media - your only readers are the people who know you, until someone notices a controversial tweet and it goes viral.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #77 on: July 05, 2021, 11:24:53 AM »
Something along the lines of a minyan is a mitzvah and would be one more way to bring Yiddishkeit to that far flung corner of the world. Not far off from מרבה כבוד שמים,  wouldn't you say?

A Chabad'nik would see minyan an expression of "לעשות לו יתברך דירה בתחתונים"
Yup, making a minyan or bracha in Svalbard, the Falklands, or Antarctica felt like part of elevating nitzutzos/לעשות לו יתברך דירה בתחתונים.
מרבה כבוד שמים isn't part of Chabad lexicon, but gets you to the same place.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2021, 11:29:30 AM by Dan »
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 05, 2021, 11:28:41 AM »
Yup, making a minyan or bracha in Svalbard, Falklands, or Antarctica felt like part of elevating nitzutzos/לעשות לו יתברך דירה בתחתונים.
מרבה כבוד שמים isn't part of Chabad lexicon, but gets you to the same place.

Waiting for @Something Fishy's once-in-history Kosher adventure to the north pole, Svalbard was close :D

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #79 on: July 05, 2021, 11:28:57 AM »
You're right. I'm reading it with context, both from what I know and from his follow up tweets. Maybe someone should reach out to him and explain how it came across, so he can fix it. I'm certain that his intention wasn't to stop people from trying to daven with a minyan.
+1.
And also agree that 90% of shluchim are excellent and are happy to answer respectful questions and 10% are only on shlichus because that's what their father did or that's what they were told in yeshiva that they should do, but they're not really cut out for dealing with people.

Respectful question: Do you have a daily minyan? Do you know where I can get kosher food in the area?
Non-respectful question: How can you not have a minyan 3 times a day? There should be plenty of people where you live to make that happen. Why can't you get your local stores to carry kosher food or why don't you run a restaurant?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.